The Big WBTB Topic

About my previous post stating that I live in the top bunk at school and my roommate would get pissed if I had my alarm going off at 5 in the morning, that problem is gone though. Heres the solution! Dont get along with him, he will move out and you have the room by yourself! lol, thats what happened with us. Its not like I did it on purpose, but it worked out for the better, and now I can try to LD every night! Just thought I should share.

I have been thinking some more about WBTB, and I have come up with some thoughts on what I think would make a good WBTB method…

1 - Need to get out of bed (as stated before)
2 - Need to do something to do with LDs (as stated before)
BUT ALSO:
3 - Need to do something which you don’t normally do in waking life. This is my new idea. My theory is this: If you read about LDs and you are doing it in a situation identical to normal waking life, then there might not be anything within that which particularly sets it apart from waking life. What I mean is, you might simply dream that you are reading the LD forum and not realise you’re dreaming. My idea is to simply do something slightly different, which you wouldn’t normally do.

I have got a couple of LD FAQs which I printed off from the LD newsgroup and from a different LD website. My plan is to get out of bed, and sit in a position I wouldn’t normally sit in, and read the FAQs, either for 30 minutes or until I have read them both completely (whichever happens first). I’m thinking maybe simply sitting sideways on my bed, because this is something I never do in normal life.

I’m just thinking that this might imprint itself better on my subconcious if I’m doing something different.

If that doesn’t work, then maybe I could try more different situations, such as going downstairs to a completely different room, or even sitting in an empty bath with my clothes on while I read. Maybe the weirder the better, because then I might dream about it and I might think, “Hey, why am I sat in the bath reading about lucid dreams? Hey, this could be a lucid dream!”

:smile:

Ed.

One way I’m also thinking of trying it, is to maybe do the complete opposite - not do any reading on LDs, and spend far less time awake. Just enough to become fully awake. Stand up, maybe do a few stretches or something, make sure I fully wake up, and then just go straight back to bed.

I’m still trying to perfect my WBTB method. I just go back to sleep counting 1 I’m dreaming, 2 I’m dreaming…ect. It only works, though, if I give it a full effort. Some nights, I’m too tired to do it right.

Ya I’m going to try this now I have nothing ta loose and it’s 6:11 right now.

I’m curious if anyone has any thoughts about the comparison between WBTB and afternoon naps… naps are generally easier for me to schedule and actually get me more sleep rather than interruption and less sleep.
I’ve had more success with naps in the past, but the last couple of times, my NovaDreamer gave me only 2 cues in a 2-hr nap which would indicate to me that I had very little REM.
So it seems like the consensus is the WBTB (combined with MILD or WILD) is best for most people. What do y’all think?

Peace,
Sruthan

i alitlle dont like the WBTB .well i sleep…look on the watch…mmmmyyyyyymmmm its 3.00 Am…must…get up…oh crap i am going to sleep. thats why i dont like WBTB :sad:

3am, yuck! never! i will stay up till 3am sometimes but not get up … nonono.
That’s why I was saying I have trouble scheduling it because the only way I’m doing it is if I get up at 6-7 ish after getting about 7.5 hrs sleep … then it’s not so bad… but I haven’t gotten any LD’s from the several times I’ve tried it recently.
Today they’re letting us out of work a few hours early :partying_face: for the holiday and I’m gonna NAP!

Peace,
Sruthan

accidental double-post

Generally for people like you Sruthan you should get out of bed and do something that really requires full wakefullness such as sunning in place or practicing a martail art and then read about Lucid dreaming and go to bed.

The sam thing that happens to OneWingedAngel happens to me. when its school days, i have no ld’s, and crap dream recall. if i actually remember my dream, its got something to do with school, just typing this i can recall 2 long, slightly vivid dreams i’ve had during school days.

i have a tip for you OneWingedAngel its helped with my dream recall during the school days:
when your in your first class in the morning, write a big clear letter ‘C’ on your hand, where you likely to see it when you check the time on your watch or when your writing. the ‘C’ stands for ‘Conciosness’. once you see the ‘C’ :content: you should stop what your doing and look around the room for dream signs, and ask yourself ‘am i dreaming?’, you could even do a reality check. but you should make sure EVERY time you see it, do an RC etc. your most likely to have a dream about doing school work, talking to friends/teachers or walking around the school.

This has helped me bypass the pressure of school, and sometimes benefit from the pressure. it works pretty well. try it.

Heh, after typing the above post [last night] before i went to bed, i had dream about school again. i didnt see it coming, although i shoulf of :sad:

GOD DAMNIT, i had another dream about school last night :sad: :cry: :grrr: :angry: :ack:

Tjis must be getting a little frustrating, try thinking about something you would reallyu like to do in your next lucid/nonlucid dream bnefore you go to bed.,

i did think of something i’d like to do, but instead, i had a dream about shopping with my relatives :confused: Why? i have no idea.
i ahve been having at least one dream a night these days, im hopeing pre-lucidity will come next.
i’ve been listening to that la Berge interview allot these days, i think that may have something to do with?

What I like about WBTB is when you goto sleep you’re concious that this is not IT. The night is not over. You’re not giving up on today. To people who don’t dream, a group I once belonged to, this is what sleep meant. Thus the longer you stay up the longer the day is. However with LDing and specificly WBTB you’re aware that Sleep is a period of time all its own.
I actually enjoyed getting up at 3 and staying awake till 4 this week… And the fact that I knew I was going back to bed later made it painless.
Now, if only I could get some lucid dreams out of this :smile:

• feed_my_BRAIN

Ugh. I tried to do a WBTB on a school day. I went to bed at like 9 (I was sleepy) and woke up around 3:30. I read for about 15 (not a half hour because I was afriad I woudln’t be able to go back to sleep. As it turned out I couldn’t fall back asleep, was just tossing and turning. So now I only got 6.5 hours of sleep and and I have a midterm first thing today… :cry:

So far I’ve had success with WBTB… the two times I was able to drag myself out of my warm soft comfy bed into the chilly, dark night. Yeah. WBTB/MILD is a technique that may very well work for me, if only I didn’t go right back to sleep after my soft mobile phone alarm goes off. I really severely dislike barging out of bed in the middle of the night… and more often, even when I wake up naturally, I just flip over and continue to sleep. It’s not an entirely uncommon problem is it? :wink:

I’ve had very much success with naps. So far the three most powerful LD’s I’ve had in the past year were all from naps. WBTB/MILD is the most comparable method… so I really have to figure something out for dragging myself out of bed.

Is doing exercises (squatting, stretching, etc) a good idea? Or turning on the computer and visiting LD4All? :wink:

whenever i do WBTB i visit the forums and read for a while, it gets your thoughts on lucid dreaming… and helps you get ready for your dreams. i’d recommend it over exercising… maybe just a few stretches to get up or something.

Well, I just ordered EWLD, so that should help. :happy:

I had a nap this afternoon but didn’t LD! Argh! I hope I’m not hitting a dry spell.

Anyway, waiting until the weekend when I can try WBTB/MILD again. (These busy weekdays… argh.)