The lucky naturals

After reading alot about LD, I’ve noticed that most ppl agree that some ppl inherently seem to LD, like their brain is wired for it. So my question is; are there certain traits specific to these ppl that make them natural LDers? For example, if you’re laid back + have good concentration (I just made that up, don’t know if it’s true). Does anybody know anything about this or have personal ideas 'cause if we knew those traits, then the non-natural LDers might be able to copy them (ahem me ahem). Maybe this would be a good lab experiment?

I’d like to know, as well.

I’d say that some personality traits probably predispose certain people to LDing more than others. There’s probably a lot of chance involved, too–one person might realize they’re dreaming by accident when he or she is very young and then resolve to realize that every night. Young people seem to have an easier time, and so forming habits early could be very advantageous.

I’m just throwing ideas around here. Anyone?

It is possible for achieving lucidity to be inherent, but I haven’t done much reading on the subject. Inducing them easily can also be based on lifestyle, such as that people who meditate often tend to have more lucid dreams than the average non meditator. This is something that I have read about, and know from personal experience, because I meditate daily.

Since meditation can have positive effects in both the waking and sleeping life, perhaps there are certain personality traits that point to someone who is a meditator. That may be difficult to tell for sure, but it’s just an idea to throw out there. :hmmm:

I think it would be very difficult to relate natural LD’ing ability and character traits. I remember a thread (perhaps in the Theory of Lucidity forum) in which it was said that children and girls find it easier to control dreams.

I’ll move this topic in the Quest for Lucidity forum, it will will perhaps receive more answers from natural LD’ers here.

It could be a genetic thing. Me, my mom, sister, and both brothers have naturally had LD’s so it could be that.

there probably is some level of ability that is part of what you are born with.

But other factors are also important:

1. learned skills (correct application of techniques that work for you)
  2. interest (how much you care about dreaming and lucid dreaming)
  3. beliefs (negative beliefs will affect your efforts)

We dream a lot every night. Yet many ‘naturals’ don’t report that many LDs, or demonstrate any significant differences in experience or understanding of LDs from non-naturals. So I think we should be careful about using this category.

Not sure if this is true, but even if natural talent was based on certain personality traits such as those, how exactly would you “copy” that?

Might have somethin to do with creativity, might have somethin to do with chemical levels in the brain serotinin and melotonin and whatever.

I dont know but as long as I get a few DILDs a month I’m happy.

Even as a kid I always remembered and thought about my dreams. Maybe natural LDers are just natural dreamers, never had a problem remembering dreams and always studying them.

If your one of the lucky chosen to have natural Lucid Dream’s you are by far the luckiest on the earth.

I’m pretty sure 5-10% of the population are natural LDers. Everyone in my family is pretty creative and we all have wide imaginations. Well, except my dad but I’ve never heard of him getting an LD before. I think creativity might have something to do with it!

As for good concentration, no! I have ADD and my brother has ADHD. I don’t think concentration has anything to do with it.

Theres maybe not such a thing as a natural LDers but there are natural dreamers.

If your the type of person who heard about LDing but dont even remember your dreams and can barely remember 1 dream a week then your probably goin to have more trouble with LDing than people who remember multiple dreams a night and for some reason or another always have.

I beleive you are correct, that some people are predisposed to LDing naturally.

My current partner has always had a fear that one day she will be dreaming a dream so real that she’ll never wake up, and that while she’s stuck in her dream, her body will wither away and die. Ironically, she is an incredibly adept natural LDer. All her life shes been doing it, even before she knew what the term for it was. But everytime she realises shes dreaming, she gets scared and tells herself to wake up.

I’ve tried to help her get past the fear but she doesnt want to hear anything of it. I’ve tried telling her what a wonderful gift she has, that she should develop it and use it to her advantage but she wants nothing to do with it. She sees it as a detachment from reality that you could get addicted to or lost in (even though the longest dream youd even have is about an hour long).

For the record, she’s been doing yoga and medidation once every 2-3 days for about 7 or 8 years. And she’s one of these “every day should be lived like its your last” kinds of people that thinks if you dont try something new every day of your life, its a wasted day.

I am quite jealous of the gift that she denies herself :sad:

That’s great Alex - I hope she can get past her fears.
There just has to be ppl who LD naturally, otherwise all of those people who don’t seem to be able ot LD or only can after years of practice wouldn’t exist. But I realized it was a tough question to answer.
Does natural mean something that’s just in your genes, or the way your brain functions based on habits you grew up with? I don’t think this question can be answered very effectively without extensive research on the subject. Although I still think it’s a fasinating idea.[/i]

Maybe the naturals are natural because of ethenticity. I mean if you think about it…in some areas of the world people have totally different minds pretty much. I havent met a single mexican without good work ethic. All the Chinese I know are either good at art and horrible in school or vise versa.

Sorry if the horrible sterotpyes offend anyone but…I`m serious.

Let`s say that Mexicans were heavier sleepers etc because there werent as many dinosaurs to bother them back in the old days…IDK.

LOL slap me if you want.
I just came up with that cause I needed something to throw in.

There are certain cultures that do embrace the dreamworld more than others, but I dont think culture has much to do with it these days.

I know native american indians, native australians and mayans/aztecs were all great dreamers, it was a part of their culture, but of course there are people from all races who have lucid dreams.

It’s an interesting exemple cause it may show a case of negative induction technique. As you know, fear is a sort of negative desire. Thus it means that she’s motivated for having LD’s. Most probably, if she wasn’t afraid of such a dream, she wouldn’t have LD’s.

Another explanation would be that, as she had many natural LD’s without knowing what it was, she could fear that one of them would be so real that she would be stuck in it. But if it were the case, she would understand easily by talking with other LD’ers that it’s an ill-founded idea. That’s the reason why I suppose that the first explanation is better.

A third explanation is that she has read some book which made her believe strongly this theory.

Hmmm… Anyway, sorry for these accounts of bazaar psychology. :content:

I think it hase to do with awareness levels
i sometimes see myself as this object analizing evry thing going in spirals ive never really done anymothod oly this special method waking up for 30-60 min and going back to sleep for 80 i get lucid dreams if i do thatyet i know im constant analizing people and myself it has become a problem for me ive even whent to tal kto some one aobut it

I would like to add i lost my reply about my awareness problem im a natural lucid dreamer i would like to add to this is that i ofen analize myself and obervate al land evrything around me exsept the things that are not inportment for me :confused: i would like to add to this is that i ofen pick things on my own body like scratses spots nipping hair bags and stuff i think its allgo to do with the awareness problem but that problem makes me more anable to lucid dream its like an natural way of feeling good because analizing evrything around me makes me go mad

i think its just her amgination fears if you are natural Lucid dreamer you don’t fear them i believe because it feels good well maby i could be if you have them evry night i don;'t but i do have them now and agai nwith out anything i sleep little i think allot

Ive been able to LD since 6 or 7 without knowing what i was doing. I’ve been researching LD techniques for about 3 weeks i can usually have an LD every night if not more. I’ve always been very creative and artistic and somewhat fantasy dominated.