The Lucid Dreaming HandBook [DOWNLOAD 2.0]

I’ve just downloaded the new version (2.0) and made it available on my site
astareglobe.no-ip.com/public/downloads/ldh2.zip

https://nsis.sourceforge.net

Great Installer if you’re not using it already. I’m downloading your program at the moment (58%).

Cool program! I find that some of the text is a little hard to read though, dark on dark background. It’s probably my screen. Are you going to make it open source?

Open source would be great, considering that I also find the text hard to read. Perhaps we could all agree on a list of improvements that ben would be agree to use for his next version?

haha its VisualBasic…what source. The only REAL hard code I have is for the main page, and that was done in C++ because that’s what lang I started the project as. Everything else is pretty basic code, that can’t be done in any other way.

As for the fonts that I keep getting complaints about, FINE! lol. I’ll change them. Think of some cool font that is readible, doesnt waste space, and is cool looking. I don’t want to use stupid default fonts because that is so dull, that’s why I tried using diff fonts like “Poor Richard”, which was the normal text description font I used. Anyways yeah find a font and I’ll change away.

Hmm wait…I have an idea… Find multiple fonts that you guys would like to see, and I can make a little option thing at the menu that asks what font you would like to see everything in. For example, let’s say you wanted to see it in Times New Roman, so you click that button and all the description texts would be in Times New Roman. It isn’t hard to program at all and that would probably settle some disputes on the look of things…so yeah… :smile:

I’m really glad everybody is finding some use of it, that means I didn’t waste my time! hmm…perhaps I should make you pay for it :razz:

I personally use Verdana and Trebuchet MS for most of my stuff. Another cool font would be Book Antiqua, which I think Reality.Failure’s website uses.

Reality.Failure’s site: dreamspellportal.net/

sounds good…could be a possibility :smile:

I’ve been a little busy lately…and havnt done ANYTHING on LDH. I have fonts picked out though, and will add a “font feature” type thing soon enough. After that though…I’m not really sure what to add on to LDH…so maybe suggestions could be given? lol. Maybe more tech tutorials…OOBE stuff…I dunno…

Just an update…possible download date in 2 weeks. Little busy here…but I have just enough time to do what I need to do… there will be at least 3 fonts to choose from…which were suggested by only one person…lol. but thats fine.

I got the 2.0 beta.

Why couldn’t you have left it as a website? It was much, much better.

It’s massive, thanks to the inclusion of a 2MB video file which is completely useless and uninformative, as well as the images which are similarly useless. After downloading your program, don’t you think people would just like to use it? That means reading the information!

What the hell is the crosshatch cursor for on the buttons? It only confuses me.

Sometimes the button to go back is at the top-right, sometimes it’s at the bottom.

Also, you can’t print, enlarge the text, select or copy it.

That said, I will be extracting the text from this thing somehow. I will fix it into a nicer format. Didn’t manage. Please, please send me the text. I can format it for printing, too.

PS I have a nice install maker. If you want me to package this program, just ask me.

This isn’t rocket science, and isn’t hard to follow. lol. Why cursors and images confuse you, I will never know. But the reason why they are there, are for atmosphere type reasons. If I were to leave the windows default color, and have boring ass colors which would only be black and white, it kind of makes things look crummy. The movie is there just to be there. It’s the opening of the software. So…GET OVER IT.

As for the text (which has already been explained in earlier posts), IM WORKING ON IT. Text enlargement shouldn’t be an issue that needs to be worked on in the next version, but differnt fonts will be available to choose from. All will be in just the right size and shape for you to read perfectly.

As for Printing and Copying the text. If you want to copy/print, just go to the website and get everything off there. Reason why I don’t allow it on the software is…well mainly because I worked hard on the software, writing all those tutorials and putting things together. So why should you get the easy way out and just copy all my work? You can sit there and write it out yourself in a seperate window, then print it in word. :smile:

For your comment about leaving it as the website. Reason why I made the software was to make it more easily obtainable once you downloaded the software, and mainly because I was just really bored at the time and needed something to do. The website though, I havn’t updated in ages, and probably wont any time soon because of laziness. Freewebs sucks butt, and I wish I never hosted the website with them. Anyways…yeah. If you prefer the website over software, simply just dont use the software.

Anyways r3m0t, you complain too much. I asked for constructive suggestions, not personal appeal. :tongue:

I do appreciate the reply in an effort to make things better though!

about your installer…I see no need to use one, but if ever there is a reason for one, I know where to look now :cool:

-cya

They may be boring, but at least they’re readable. They also don’t take up 20MB. Atmosphere is for games. I just want to find info, fast.

It’s a bit difficult to go to the website. Your signature leads to this topic. You have no website in your profile. I can’t find it on Google when searching for bendrummin58 or “lucid dreaming handbook”, or at least, not easily.

I don’t want to “copy your work”. I just want to print it out. If you have that sort of over-restrictive attitude, perhaps you can update README.txt to say “(C) [real name] All rights reserved” instead of that stuff about it being fine to copy around.

Besides, I need to highlight some of the text just to read it/for the page to look nice (such as, I think, that page with a sun background with bright blue text).

Well, the software is 20MB now and you can’t even print things from it. That is certainly very “convenient”. It’s also convenient that every single time you open the program it starts blaring music at you.

Please do update it. Also, if you give me the text, I could (eg) make a PDF for printing.

I will down load it tonight and give you guys feedback tomorrow.

website is

freewebs.com/lucid_dreaming_ … index.html

I’ll put it in the first post as well.

Anyways…I do realise that some of the pages are hard to read because of background issues and text issues, and that is what I’m fixing, which I think I’ve said about 20 times now. Sarcasm was used in that reply to your topic, and I guess it didn’t really show that much, but thats fine. I’m going to be making the text highlightable so you will be able to copy/paste things or do whatever. As for printing. In my next “release”, I am going to have a word document that has every technique/tutorial that is on the software. Printer friendly and readable for the user. Plus, that makes it easier printing selected pages rather than everything. This seems like a workable solution to me, but if you still have objections, then I can put print buttons, which would be a pain in the butt to do on every single tutorial.

Anyways…I find it interesting that you’ve been the only one to say to me you 100% despise the movie on the menu. You make such a big deal about it. lol. ok ok ok…I have a solution for this too.

In the next release of LDH, you will be able to download 2 versions. Version 3.0A and Version 3.0B. 3.0A will have the movie, maybe sound effects, backgrounds and more “good-looking” type materials. Version 3.0B will be a complete opposite. No backgrounds will be images, all will be solid colors that match text colors. There will be no movies at all or sound effects or music for that matter. This will not only drop down the size by a crapload, but will make some of you happy. Both versions will have the highlightable text and all the new text features, as well as more items. They will both also have the word document with all techniques included.

Let me know what you guys think, especially r3m0t, and I’ll get started!

o o o o will I still need to download Windows Media Player 10 for the movie version?

i was guessing that you might need it, because some people were having problems with the movie…but really, you shouldn’t…lol. otherwords no.

I can’t manage to download this. Is there a safe working link that supports download resuming with Getright?

Note that my alternate links on the first post are currently down right now, and possibly forever. I moved around my server config a while back and cleared the files I had before.

Hmm…ok. Yeah the rapidshare links arnt working because nobody has downloaded it in some time now… I’ll try and send it to you via email later on tonight, when I have some time on my hands. I’ll use yousendit.com (I think that’s it).

A pdf of this would be pretty great… or if you make a mac version…

Maybe opening the source at source forge or soemthing could get it working right faster?

Sounds pretty cool…