LD-ing heridiraty?

I was wondering if LD’ing is a genetic/hereditary/family-shared ability, because my grandmother and mother both LD naturally (without trying, or even really knowing what LD is). And I have WILD’ed accidentally before (not since I began trying, I can’t seem to get it anymore). I apologize if this is in the wrong topic, but I figured it would fit here. Is there any given research on this?

I think the ability to become lucid depends firstly on several chemicals in your brain that play a huge role during dreams in supressing rational thought (some might have more or less and/or different chemicals active that all influence this), and secondly on your level of awareness to break this barrier. I dont think the latter is hereditary, but the first might be.

I’ve had a natural LD, and use to become lucid quite often during nightmares (though all I did was wake myself up).

No one else in my family does this. Both my parents think it’s weird and told me to stop LD’ing, and to stop…

So… I don’t think it is :wink:.

No offense, but what kind of parents are those???

Neither of my parents can LD but my mom thinks LDing is an outlet.

Just because your parents think it’s weird doesn’t mean they have anyless ability to LD, so I don’t think you have a valid arguement. :smile:

My Mum had an LD just because I told her about it.

Well, if that think it’s weird, I’m pretty sure that implies they’ve never even come close to having one :wink:.

Then again, given the way my brother explained it to them, he made it sound like I was taking a drug.
Why did he do that? Cos I refused to show him one of my posts here… (not to mention the fact that he thought it would be a good way tog et me off the comp so he could have a go…)
Yeup, he’s a butthole :smile:.

my mom has OBEs and LDs naturally but she doesn’t try to control anything, although i told her she can control the dream. She’s just not interested. But she’s ok with me and my brother having LDs. I LDed naturally at least once when I was a child. My brother never LDed before I told him about it, but he’s good at it.

My best friend is a natural LD’er and his father was too.

My mother is a lucid dreamer, and so are two of my brothers. I recently found out my sister had one lucid dream too. She realized it was a dream, and thought “How on earth do I wake up now??” My other sister have never had a LD even if I have been trying to teach her lately :cool:, and my father rarely remember his dreams.

It could be genetic…or it could just be the fact that we actually have been talking about it!

to my knowledge no one in my family is a natural at LD’s. myself included. :tongue:

In case you’re doing research, me, my mother, my uncle, and my cousin all had, at some point in our lives natural LD’s.
my cousin claims to have them each time he remembers a dream.
i just remember having had them once when I was a child, as my mother. and my uncle says it sometimes happens to him! :content:

I’m a mom that LD’s and my children have yet to have one. I want them too.

hmm… iluminda, have you talked to them about ld’s before?
i think you shouldn’t! - attention i’m not judging here!
a lot of times parents through they’re frustrations into theire children.
I do that with my brother. I tell him to study music and that his tallented and all that, and that only works the other way arround. He becomes insecure everytime I tell him that. Luckily I don’t tell him that often so he still plays.
So talking to your kids about LD’s and inviting them to try and all that may probably decrease theire amount of LD’s.
Sorry for intruding!
:content: peace@us.all

No intrusions taken :content:

My daughter looks at me as if I’m on drugs when I mention it. But she never says anything negative about it. I know she hasn’t tried to though.

My son, well mostly b/c I want to help him with his nightmares. I feel bad for him.

But their bedtime reading stories are definitely NOT about lucid dreaming. I’m not that bad. The topic only comes up when I pretty much think they can handle. Which is almost never.

My mother claims that she has experienced many LDs in her lifetime but does not try to control things that happen to her. She is quite interested in this topic and wears magnetic rings to sleep etc. No she isn’t crazy, but she would like to live a long life.

I have a very small family, so it’s hard to tell with me. Neither of my parents remember their dreams or even give an effort to, so I have no clue about either of them. My aunt, who I get my humor and good nature from, has slightly better recall and has had a few LDs before. (without trying any techs)

That doesn’t give much of an explaination, so I guess it’s not too much help. Ahh well…

Basilus West, by natural LDers, what do you mean? Does the fact that I used to LD when I was younger, having around 4-5 in total (hope I remember correctly), make me a natural? Right now, I’m using techs to induce LDs, as I haven’t been experiencing them for a while.

I think so. But some people use to have much more LD’s naturally.

Me and my father and his father. So yea.