Current Wings Quest 131
The Spirit of Giving XIV

Any non-Windows users around?

Author  Message 
ginkgothian
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

Some distributions are as small as 64 MB...
I really like feather linux because it runs very fast even on slower machines. It's based on knoppix and debian.

But I really recommend you to try installing ubuntu linux onto your harddrive. It's really easy. You just need some unpartitioned space left (Space which is not assigned to any of your windows partitions such as Csmile
and some time to run the installer...that's all...

http://ubuntulinux.com/

You can even request free ubuntu cds (shipping included) if you're on a low line...

tapir
flying mod
cookie lover

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

Linux here
Got to say that I didn't install Linux by my own motivation, but my father is very much into free-software. I don't know a lot about computers, but on the subject of free-software I wholeheartedly agree to him and I am very glad not to support microsoft anymore.
Besides I like that you can just download very good programms (for instance GIMP, the Adobe equivalent) without having to browse through illegal sites or anything like that.

WhiteWolf
4-star Gen. Obvious
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

Well in Winblows you dont have to search through alot of illegal sites, but I do agree OSS, (or i guess they are calling it FOSS now..) is the best alternative to Microsuck. I run three computers in my room, the one I am typing on is Gentoo, the one to my left is debian and the one to my right is slackware. Slackware seems the fastest but I dunno its kinda buggy..

One thing that I have been REALLY impressed with lately is ubuntu, this distrobution does pretty much everything for you, and its program to install and compile things is really nice. When you are first learning linux the most painful thing to learn is dependencys and what not, especially by trial and error. Ubuntu has a nice package management system, I would recommend that before I recommend Gentoo.. (Even though gentoo = awesome)

If your new to linux be sure to put this in your .bashrc !
alias ls='ls --color=tty && echo "Do an RC!!!!!!" '

Akir
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

My favorate phrase is this:

"Dei Gates Dei"

I found it in a copy of "Wigetry" demonstrating the capabilities of sphere. I totally agree with the phrase. I have way too many reasons to hate Windows (Including a million problmes with Windows Update: it needs to use VBS, as well as Internet Explorer, the crappiest software ever [which is based off of NCSA Mosaic, which never seemed to work, either], you have to restart for everything, etc) Ironically, I'm using it now. I need it for many things.

I use OpenBSD, mostly because it has drivers for my WI-FI card. Still, nothing seems to have drivers for my Audio Card (Montengo Turtle Beach II; PM me if you find a driver)

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

Well, it's that time again. A few days ago I pieced together a new PC out of some spare parts, and figured I might try my luck at installing Linux on it. My first priority this time was to find a distribution that was universally acclaimed as being easy to install and configure. After my horrible experience with Knoppix, and nightmarish encounter with Fedora 3, I thought I’d take a step in a different direction and try my luck with Woody (aka, Debian 3.0).

Debian is often praised for it’s super-intuitive “apt-get” system, which definitely seemed like a brilliant idea to me, as it would (in theory) remove a lot of the pain associated with tracking down and installing obscure dependencies. But the problem is, “apt-get” isn’t much use to you if you aren’t connected to the internet, and to my dismay, it became immediately apparent after the OS was installed that things really haven’t gotten any easier in that regard at all. The very instant my Debian install was finished, I ran an “ifconfig” to check the status of the network, and everything appeared to be functional. But alas, I couldn’t use the net, and I couldn’t ping my Windows machine. I kept getting a “Host name lookup failed” error.

Eventually I resolved this by editing some ambiguous config file using Vi (the world’s stupidest text editor, that has no place anywhere in this or the last decade) and changing what it thought was my hostname. My question is, why the hell can’t the config files be created right in the first place? Why do I always have to wade through twenty pages of cryptic configuration script to change some values that should have been correctly initiated in the first place? Why do I have to tell it exactly what kind of mouse I have (only to find that the scroll-wheel never works anyway) when Windows will detect all this stuff automatically?

I love the concept of Linux, I really do. But I’m convinced that it won’t be suitable for desktop use until every computer user in the world is a qualified sysadmin. Or until they take a page from the book of MS and learn how to set things up correctly by querying the devices themselves instead of asking the user to supply every bit of information, only to discard it later in place of the non-applicable defaults. It drives me crazy!

I guess I’ll wait another year, then try it again.

Tomas
The lucid dreamer
cookie lover

Debian woody is a very outdated distro now anyways, so it is not weird at all that it did not work out of the box. Debian has never been a very userfriendly/newbiefriendly distro to setup, but once everything is working it runs like hell and is very easy to update.

Maybe you should try out ubuntu as some suggested?? Is supposed to be based on debian, but much more userfriendly.

I started out using mandrake, and i doubt i would have been able to use debian today if it wasnt for that learning experience with mandrake first.

I have not tried installing new debian sarge, but i have heard that the installer has improved atleast.

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

Hmm. I have heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu (my boss is a big fan, as he grew up in South Africa), so I guess I could give it a try. It's interesting that you say Woody is outdated, as I only downloaded it from the Debian website a few days ago, and it was listed as their most recent release. Oh well, maybe Sarge has a different homepage, or something.

Right now, my Debian box is up and running, along with the network and X11 (which wouldn't work until I edited a config file and changed my colour-depth from 24 to 16, even though my vid card and monitor can easily do 24-bit). So, for the moment I'll probably just mess around with this, and find out a little more about how it works. I like playing with Linux, because there's so much you can do at a level that Windows usually hides from you--but I'd never use it as my primary OS.

Thanks for the reply, Tomas.

Tomas
The lucid dreamer
cookie lover

Quote:
Hmm. I have heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu (my boss is a big fan, as he grew up in South Africa), so I guess I could give it a try. It's interesting that you say Woody is outdated, as I only downloaded it from the Debian website a few days ago, and it was listed as their most recent release. Oh well, maybe Sarge has a different homepage, or something.

Yeah, they have been slow... Sarge has been in beta/testing stage until now, so it was not listed as the current one.. And the even more funny part is that sarge was officially released today! So if you only had waited a few days... wink5

I also installed using woody, but i updated it to debian unstable"sid" using apt-get and also grabbed a new kernel. But this is also alot of extra work and i can imagine you can run into a great deal of troubles with very new hardware, since it is so old.

r3m0t
A head librarian
cookie lover

I have tried Ubuntu and it is very nice but as far as I can remember you still need to edit /etc/X11Config to get the mouse wheel up.

Maybe not - I can't find a guide for it. Incidentally, Ubuntu's documentation is excellent for all the common stuff you might want to do. It really is.

ginkgothian
Somniologist
Somniologist

Ubuntu is a distribution I'd even recommend my mother.

Hyperion
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

I use Windows for gaming and software development (don't ask). FreeBSD for my servers. I also have an old DEC Alpha running VMS.

When I first started in computing, Linux was in its infancy. Back then, it was a small project starving for developers. Boy, has it come a ways!

print