Music theory

My theory is that when i go to sleep i will put on a cd with a scale being repeated. im not exactly sure if this will work, but while i am LD’ing i will play guitar along with the repeating scale in order to be able to improvise a lot easier when i close my eyes. im pretty sure this will work, cause i wouldn’t really consider that playing the guitar in your dreams, even if you are looking directly at your hands, is like looking at your hand in real life. so as long as i have good dream recall ill most likely be able to close my eyes and kinda use mainly sound memory, or imagination, when i play my guitar completely with my eyes closed.

One guitar player to another; sleep isn’t really that good for this type of learning, so what I would do if I were you is memorize the scale, all the sounds and everything (you don’t have to have perfect pitch to do this or anything), then improvise in your head while falling asleep, without the CD playing, this is when your alpha waves are in high gear. That’ll help you with your music theory.

By the way, I write most of my songs, lyrics and music, when I am falling asleep.

Yes falling asleep is an exelent moment to write both songs and lrics. but to learn an instrument… i dont really know

In general, sleep isn’t great for say, putting a tape teaching you spanish and then falling asleep, so I doubt it would work for music.

I used to do a lot of LD’s for music related applications and I agree with the others,It won’t be good for learning to play, BUT it’s easy to whip up some wicked ass sounds in your ld’s(even non-lucid dreams).

What I used to do was use a tascam 4-track cassette recorder(a smaller personal note recorder is better though IMHO) for as I woke up,I would hum the rhythm/melody and whatever lyrics I could remember…Some stuff I would forget,But my memory improved once I sat down and started playing it on the guitar/keyboard.

works great and when you’re dreaming your creativity is about 1000X more wild than when you’re awake,so like I said before, It’s VERY easy to create some great tunes.

You could also do this in meditation.

I can second that about the creativity, I find i can make up some incredible tunes even in a very clear meditative state, the hard part is making those reality :smile:

I’ve also had a regular dream playing a two stringed flying V guitar, anything i tried to play sounded great.

Heh, its been a while but I just experimented on my own. I found that it is possible to put a chord progression on my computer and have it repeat thruout my sleep. You just sorta focus on the sounds coming to your body, its kinda hard to do because you may find yourself just waking up to them. I had 1 chance to play along with the sound in which I dont remember anything that I played:( But the progression was sorta engrained into my brain and well after a week of meditating on the sounds that were there I have developed a great sence of pitch. Its hard to explane, but I just know the tones, I can see hear and feel the A tone before I play it. I think its called perfect pitch or something, but i think it should have a different name, like subconscious pitch. because when someone talks to me I can sorta see the words come out and remember exactly how and what was said. Its like the sounds get put into my photographic memory thru a hightened sence of it. I dont know what to think, sorry I forgot I made this topic, hope someone else gives it a try. It is hard, but I think the effect is incredable.

yeah i have been told i have perfect pitch by my guitar teacher and my friends before, ive always been like that.
I want to play guitar in my dreams extremely bad, because i think this will strengthen my perfect pitch tremendously. I too have noticed that when im tired as anything, or when i wake up, that im alot better at guitar than most other times.