The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic Part II

I never had an expierence with this but my twin sister did. I was up late one night like usual when someone knocked on my door and opened it, it was my sister and she was in tears and asked me to come in her room. I did and she explained to me how she was paralyzed and tried to scream for help but she couldn’t. And how something in the corner was stareing at her, and she felt and an evil presence. Putting the picies together I thought of SP so I tried to explain to her, and she wouldn’t belive.She kept saying how it felt so real. So I hopped on the net and we looked it up together and every single thing she described was there. Including sleeping in the supine postion, we both didn’t no what that was and it means sleeping on your back, and she did sleep on her back because she thought if she slept on her side it would break her out. But yea, it was a very scary thing for her, and she is still spooked by it. But it’s wierd she said before she got up and knocked on my door she thought she woke up and knocked on my door and my sister answered but it was like a false awakining. Hm

thank xetrow , iwas scared to have one but when u know what it is , its not scary.
thx to this site

Yeah, I hate it. It’s the most fearful experience one can experience, as far as I am concerned.

I don’t feel like someone is sitting on me though. I just can’t breathe, can’t move, can’t open my eyes. It’s scary. And I’m always lying in an uncomfortable way, so I can’t relax. I might have my feet up side down, or something.

It’s awesome when it’s over though.

you should all overcome your fears, and take advantage of it.

I have been trying this LD thing for a while and i have allways been afraid of “ye old hag”. But this wednesday i had one in ye morning. itt folowed a realy wierd dream wich im to tierd to write down here. But anni way i like woke upp and felt that i was like “stuck in my self”. I was lying with my head rather close to the wall and i fellt like someone leand over me and told me somthing wich i cant remember. I became scared but realised that this was a SP. So i tried to roll over. I had to try hard like hell and i liked try to like make a sound or like shout. And suddenly it let go and i moved over and shouted somthing indistingushiabel.

But anny way it was realy uncomfortabel but i did not freak out like i thaught i would and it was over in a few seconds.

Um, will the hag manifest itself as the thing you are most afraid of?

Because, in all honesty, I am giving this entire thing up before I even start it if I’m ever going to ‘wake up’ to a 6-foot spider crawling on top of me.

/first post

Hi and welcome, Autocrat :cool:

The old hag is usually a feeling of “pressure” or “someone” sitting on your bed. It isn’t very common, and completely harmless. It is probably related to sleep paralysis. If you have never experienced sleep paralysis, you probably won’t experience this either.

Good luck and sweet dreams!

i love that i sumbled across this website! :smile: its so cool. anyways, im very familiar with sleep paralysis to the point where it doesnt even bother me anymore… it is a nuisance sometimes though, haha. but i’ve only had a few ‘old hag’ experiences, all of which happened earlier in my life. now to the point of this message! a few days ago i was thinking about lucid dreaming (i’ve done it a few times recently) and i was reaaaaly tired so i just kinda passed out on my bed. then i feel myself kinda fading away when i feel this WHAM on my forehead! i was all like, wow what was that!? naturally i laughed in my head, then i realized that i was paralyzed! i really found it a little funny cause i’ve never gone straight from being awake directly into a paralyzed state. then as usual i just ‘wiggled’ myslelf out of it and well… thats all. night all!

I had an ‘old hag’ two nights ago. I didn’t see anything, but I heard devlish sounds right above me.

When I sleep on my back I am pretty much guaranteed to go into sleep paralysis. I always wake up and I am on my back paralysed. I’m used to it though. This never happened before I started practising LD

I’ve only had one SP experience, I’ve always wanted to experience it too.

It was during a period of messed up sleep habits, I believe it was like this:
I pulled an all nighter.
I slept a normal nights sleep.
I pulled another all nighter.
At this point I need 3 nights of sleep to catch up on my sleep debt.
It was during this nights sleep that the SP episode occured.

I woke up paralysed, definitely paralysed. Almost right away I decided it was sleep paralysis, there was this loud static/ocean noise in my ears, it would crest and fall.
The REALLY cool and unexpected part was when I felt a disembodied hand clutch my shin through the bed sheets, since I was already aware of it being SP I wasn’t at all frightened by this, just tremendously suprised to “meet” the “old hag” despite being very “rational” during the whole thing - what part of my mind had caused me to feel the hand? Awesome.

Anyway I tried to open my eyes, my eyelids felt really heavy but I managed to open them just enough to see blurry morning light and the box beside my bed, decided it was too much effort to force them fully open (and okay I admit I was slightly scared that I’d actually see an old hag or a gaggle of demons or whatever), so I let my eyes close and felt overwhelmingly tired and went back to sleep. The sound remained all the time, it would crest to painfull loud - probably loud enough to cause hearing damage if it were real rather than imagined sound. I think I woke up right after falling back to sleep and the sound had gone.

blake, i definately know what youre talking about. ugh, i hate sounds like that during SP, its so annoying. :tongue:

I remember when i was about five i had a nightmare and woke up really scared. i went to my parents room to sleep.

About two minutes after lay down i saw a blue flueresant figure at the door, sorta looked like a grim reaper without the scythe.

but yeh it was sorta weird… i dont remember if i was paralised or not.

I looked away from the door and then looked back and it was gone.

My friend told me that she was in bed one night, unable to sleep, when she started to shake violently. Then, when the shaking stopped, she was blue flames on her. Then, a mist appeared and formed into a person without a face sitting on her and staring at her. She told me that the side of the room that the terrifying figure was on was colder than the rest of the room.

I asked her if she could move while that was happening. She said she didn’t know because she was so afraid that she didn’t even try to move. I told her that it might be a SP Hallucination. She said it couldn’t have been because she didn’t sleep at all that night. What do you think? Was a SP hallucination or something else?

Definately SP hallucinaiton. People often think they are awake yet they are not, especially during those long insomniacal nights.

I have to hand it to you Blake, that was an awsome SP experience.

What a very flaming situation.

Yea, I signed up just to say that, whatcha gonna do about it? Tell my mom?

it seems my question has been swallowed up into the big topic… thats why i wanted to make it seperate…

anyway does anyone have any ideas on how i can induce it. becouse i have never had SP and i think it would be an awesome experiance…

Yea deffinatly… Here’s a quote from Stephen Laberge’s book, “exploring the world of lucid dreaming”

THE TWIN BODIES TECHNIQUE

1. Relax completely
    After awakening from a dream, lie on your back or right side with your eyes gently closed.
    Tighten and then relax your face and head, neck, back, arms, and legs. Completely let go of all
    muscular and mental tension, and breathe slowly and calmly. Enjoy the feeling of relaxation
    and affirm your intention to consciously enter the dream state; let go of all other thoughts,
    worries, and concerns.

2. Focus on your body
    Now focus your attention on your physical body. Use the 61-point relaxation exercise (page 54)
    to pass your attention from one part of your body to the next, recurrently
    going through all
    points. As you do, notice how your body feels at each point along the way. Watch for signs of
    strange sensations, vibrations, and distortions of your body image. These are the harbingers of
    REM sleep paralysis. Eventually you will experience sensations like those described above
    which will rapidly develop into complete paralysis of your physical body. At this stage you are
    ready to leave your paralyzed body behind and to enter the dream world in your dream body.

3. Leave your body and enter the dream
    As soon as you feel that your physical body is in a profound state of sleep paralysis, you are
    ready to go. Remember that your currently paralyzed physical body has a magical, move-able
    twin, that is, your dream body, and that you can just as easily experience yourself as being in
    one body as the other. Indeed, except for occasional lucid periods, you rarely even notice that
    every night your dream body plays the role of its “twin, “ your physical body. Now imagine
    yourself embodied in your airy dream body and imagine what it would feel like to float or roll
    out of your earthbound twin. Let yourself peel free of the immobile physical body. Jump, fall,
    or crawl out of bed. Sit up or sink through the floor. Fly through the ceiling, or just get up. Now
    you’re in the world of lucid dreaming.

Commentary

As soon as you “step out of bed, “ you should recognize that you are truly a stranger in a
strange land. Remember that you are in a dream body and that everything around you is a
dream thing too. That includes the bed you just got out of: it’s a dream bed. And the “sleeping
body” you also just got out of, although you were thinking of it a moment ago as a physical
body; now it’s a dream body too. Everything you see is your dream.
If you believe that you are floating around the physical world in your “astral” body, then I ask
you to make a critical observation or two and perform a few state tests. Here are three

examples:
(1) try reading the same passage
from a book twice;
(2) look at a digital watch, look
away, then look back a few seconds later;
(3) try finding and reading this paragraph, and draw
your own conclusions!

i can remember these things happening when i was really young like 6,7,8ish. Does this mean since its already hapened before im exempt from it happening now that im trying to have LD’s and OOBE’s?

:welcome: welcome to LD4all Strat8300 :smile:

no, you wouldnt be exempt. but the main problems from old hag and SP are fear making it worse. your previous experience could make you have less fear since there isn’t the fear of the unknown and you know it isn’t real just a prelude to sleep and LDs/OBEs.

Yeah I don’t like old hags, of course its never an old hag for me but its just really scary. Usually its either a complete stranger or some demented guy with a knife.