Rainbow Connection

Questions of Christianity

Author  Message 
dreamer_chick
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Okay, I have had quite a few questions about Christianity. Some of the churches that I've been to...they seem like they do not encourage any questions, and it is horrible to question something about God. That's just the feeling that I get. I am a Christian, but I keep an open mind to other relgions, such as Budism, Muslim, and so on. I suppose I am exploring my spritiual part of me right now.

I think that Christinaity is NOT the only way to live life and not go to hell. I"m not even sure if I believe in hell....but I believe that a lot of different relgions lead to the same god, we just woship him in different ways. Some of the people taht I've talked to about this are so narrow minded, they believe that jut because someone doesn't worship the same way they do, they are eternally damned to the fires of hell. sadblauw
I haven't really gotten the concept of Jesus being God. If Jesus is God, how could JEsus Worship god? I just don't understand this concept...these two people being God. can someone please explain? I'm just wondering what everyonhe's opinion is on this......

Fadem
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
LD count: Not Enough

Actually, the islam was formed due to a mixture of Christianity and Jewry. (So Ironic).

ehr... I forgot the name of their book. Anyway, A lot of biblic figures, Adam and Eve to Jesus, are in it, just with another name. The stories resemble eachother ALOT. Only difference: Mohammed/Muhammad (or any other possible way), who is not mentioned in the bible, according to muslims Jesus (Isas) was the second last prophet...

So... I could conclude (please people don't flame me...)
(I'm sorry if I insult your personal believes...)

Allah = God

And no, I'm not a muslim, just a non-theïst

dreamer_chick
Somniologist
Somniologist

I think that's interesting on how many biblical characters are talked about in the Islaam religion. I saw a special about it today on PBS, and it was really interesting. They talked about Adam and Eve, Abraham, and a couple others. A lot of the stories are the same, but The Islaam relgion thinks some concepts are different. For example, Abraham was going to sacrifice his son for God. Christians believe that the son was Issac, and .....errr...I can't remember the name of the other one..

But I think that's really interesting.

Freecube
Theistic Apologist
Dream Deity

Re: Questions of Christianity

dreamer_chic wrote:
Abraham was going to sacrifice his son for God. Christians believe that the son was Issac, and .....errr...I can't remember the name of the other one...

The Old Testament in the Bible teaches that he was going to sacrifice his son, and was ready and willing until God sent a goat to sacrifice, so God tested Abraham's faith and proved that he was willing to follow God even at the cost of his son's life. Same story.

dreamer_chic wrote:
For example, Abraham was going to sacrifice his son for God. Christians believe that the son was Issac, and .....errr...I can't remember the name of the other one..
But I think that's really interesting.

In Islam, Abraham was going to sacrifice Ismail, not Isaac.
And yes, Fadem, Allah = God. It's not a different god than that of christianity. It's the same god.. at least muslims believe so. but muslims think Jesus was just a human chosen by God, and given miracles bu God, but he was not God. The first miracle performed by Jesus as mentioned in the Qur'an was that he spoke when he was only a few days old and he said "I am God's servant, He gave me the Book and made me a prophet". Also they believe that Jesus was not crucified, but it was an illusion. And they also believe the holy spirit , by which they refer to the angel Gabriel (Gibreel) is also seperate from God.
In the Qur'an it is said that a muslim should believe in "the books that came before". The Torah and the Gospel (Injeel) are sometimes refered to by these names. But the muslim belief is that these books were altered over time and so they do not reveal the true words of God anymore. Many stories are similar because muslims consider their religion as a improved extension of christianty and judaism.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Freecube wrote:
dreamer_chic wrote:
Abraham was going to sacrifice his son for God. Christians believe that the son was Issac, and .....errr...I can't remember the name of the other one...

The Old Testament in the Bible teaches that he was going to sacrifice his son, and was ready and willing until God sent a goat to sacrifice, so God tested Abraham's faith and proved that he was willing to follow God even at the cost of his son's life. Same story.

God's all knowing. He didn't need to test Abrahem's faith, because he already knew what Abrahem would do.

I always find the difference between God and Jesus to be rather interessting. In the OT, God is this tyranical, mass murdering, unfair git.

Jesus, on the other hand, is a dude with long hair who tells everyone about equality, peace and love.
In the NT, however, God (lets call him 'God II') is a lot more like his son.

This can (once again, ironically) be traced to the modern day politcal system.
God I is a Conservative.
God II and Jesus seem more like Liberals.

Hm, not really any point to this post. Just open musings wink5.

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
LD count: Many

dreamer_chic wrote:
Okay, I have had quite a few questions about Christianity. Some of the churches that I've been to...they seem like they do not encourage any questions, and it is horrible to question something about God.

Yeah, that's pretty much the standard in most sects of Christianity. But the good news is if you don't like it you can always not go to church, just worship on your own if you want.

Quote:

I haven't really gotten the concept of Jesus being God. If Jesus is God, how could JEsus Worship god? I just don't understand this concept...these two people being God. can someone please explain? I'm just wondering what everyonhe's opinion is on this......

This one always confused me to, but like everyone has said, it's stricktly a christian concept. Judaism and Islam maintain he was just a man. I also believe he was just a man...more like an activist rather than the son of God, although his impact on history is no less important mind you.

Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity
Location: My body lives in England, but my spirit roams the wilds

Sureal wrote:
Jesus, on the other hand, is a dude with long hair who tells everyone about equality, peace and love.

Doesn't it seem strange that lots of really hardcore christians don't like hippys?

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict

If you think about it, Jesus was like the original hippy...what with fighting the establishment and everything siiw

OppNed
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I believe that religion per se is nothing but opium for the masses (anyone heard that before?wink5). It's the surviving part of our brain refusing to admit the fact that once you're dead, you're nothing. I'm not trying to insult anyone here, it's just what I think. With that in mind, it's not hard to see religion as a demographic historical event, transforming itself just like different languages. In that sense, no wonder they resemble...

dreamer_chick
Somniologist
Somniologist

hmmm...that makes more sense really...jesus simply being a man rather than god. It's just more logical, and more understandable. Jesus just being a man who was chosen by god...but not god himslef. hmm..but relgion can be confusing at times..

And God and Jesus seem like two whole different personalities, yes! God seems quite vengeful in the OT, and truth be told, that scares me a bit. I think that a relgion should be based on love and peace...and sadly, God seems like the opposite in the old testament. sadblauw while Jesus was peaceful, kind, and patient. God seemed rather impatient.

I don't know...I can't really imagine myself NOT being a Christian, but there sure is a lot to question about the relgion. I really like how other relgions focus on spiritual well being, not just on following a certain set of rules. The islaam relgion, however, has people go on spiritutual quests and uses many symbolic things. I like that.

Some of the Christian churches I've been to seem....quite narrow minded. My uncle is a pastor, and his church is very...old fashioned and strict. Things seem likie...they are automatically labeled as either right or wrong. It's automatically sin. It's automatically wrong. they don't really go much deeper, and ask the questions of 'why' it is sin...why it is wrong. They just follow a set of rules, and don't look much deeper than that. My uncle ..he seems to think any other way of worhipping God is wrong...even inside Christianity! Just my opinion on the matter...sadblauw

Fadem
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
LD count: Not Enough

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Funny, stuff like churches to pray 'n preach are created by humans. Where in the bible does it say: "Thy shall go to the church" lach1

Also, Jesus was definetly not trying to create a new religion (Christianity) it's made by humans... He was a jew after all...

MorMor
No dreams left...
Dream Deity

Well personaly i think cristiantiy is so *** stupid...

§eräphim™
The Six Winged Angel
Astral Explorer

what you fail to realize, is that in the OT, Jesus had not come down and sacrificed himself for our sins. Because Jesus sacrificed himself for our sins, we are not punished for them (if we believe him to be our savior). So in the OT, God was just giving the people their rightful punishment for sin. It even says in Romans that the wages of Sin is death. So in the NT, because Jesus had sacrificed himself for us, God no longer needed to punish those who believed in the sacrifice, because they were already forgiven for their sins. Try thinking outside the box, and stop wandering within.

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict

But the problem is this -

If my friend Larry (I don't really have a friend named Larry ) kills someone, and I offer myself to take the punishment for him, does that absolve Larry? No, because the deed is done. The person he killed is dead, and what's worse, Larry may not even appreciate not having to accept a punishment. So you can see how this is a bit of a hole in that idea.

Dreamer_Chic, always remember, Christianity may be important to you, but if you come to a conclusion about your beliefs that differs from the opinions of your church, that's fine. Belief is a personal thing.

print