Imagine No Sensory Input

Author  Message 
Ed Case
Sleepy Head
Astral Explorer

Imagine No Sensory Input
PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Imagine if you were in the following situation:

Your body is paralysed, you cannot see, touch, hear, smell taste, or experience any other form of external sensory input, yet you are fully concious. What would happen? Would you just live forever in a dream world? Or would it be a life of torture?

Imagine it. Really try to imagine it. What would it be like?

Just dark silence interspersed with hallucinatory images?

sennomulo
The Nameless One
Lucid Initiate

I don't think it would be forever, but it might be a long time. To do so, you would somehow need to cut your brain off from all the sensory organs, which would probably require some precision surgery to avoid cutting off the things keeping the brain alive, like breathing and heartbeat. You'd also need someone taking care of you to keep you nourished. But at some point you would eventually die and your consciousness would end. I can't say what it would be like though.

Jack
Dream Diety
cookie lover

There are devices that let you feel it.They are rare but open for public,i guess theres one in Germany and France.They are called floating tanks- you stay in chamber alike closed coffin filled with water of your body temperature.It is said that 15 mins in such device does wonders- you smell better,see better,"percieve the world better" as more colorfull etc.

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
LD count: Many

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

If you were cut off from sensory input I think your brain would start making up its own sensory information, from memory, expectation, etc. They have devices for this, like what Jack mentioned. Here in Canada we call them Sensory Deprevation Cambers.
So I think it would be spending some time in a chamber like that, or falling alseep and entering a dream, it'd be very interesting to experience smile

alex
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

i've heard that sensory deprovation can be used as torture so you might go crazy if it was for a long time. i would like to experience it for a short time to see what it is like.
You might be able to meditate and go into that state.

sennomulo
The Nameless One
Lucid Initiate

Even in sensory deprivation chambers you can still feel I believe. For example, you would still be able to touch yourself and feel it. (No, I don't mean like that. You know what I mean tounge2)

But you would probably go insane if you were stuck in one of those chambers for too long. After all, people go insane just from being cut off from social contact. Being cut off from social contact and sensory input would probably send you into dementia pretty quickly.

jonesn
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

You would likely have a dream experience much like that of a sensory deprevation capsule. However, the parts of your brain responsible for experiencing senses during dreams (ie visual cortex, audio cortex, etc) would wither away soon due to lack of 'real' sensory experience (the real world).

Jack
Dream Diety
cookie lover

I think i read that sessions there are limited to half an hour but i guess it can be extended.Depends what is your goal- half an hour would be bit short for oobe try but if you there for what theyve been designed its a lot.
Id love to try it myself but theres none in Poland.

shatterspike1
Threadkiller
Dream Deity
LD count: Dry Spell

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

I might try the sensory deprivation chambers, but i'd probably be too scared to do it. I think if you concentarted on RC's and LD's alot, you might have a short spurt of them.

Shikihe
Prodigy
Somniologist

And there has been research on this issue and tests. People volunteered for them and they were put into a room with no light, no sound, and no texture just some slick floor and walls.

They found out that people need some sensory imput otherwise they start getting really depressed and stuff. And during that test they played some nonsense stuff from radio, something foreign speach which they couldn't even understand but they got happy from hearing something.

I read about that research long time ago so I might remember something incorrectly.

Cid Silverwing
Paladin of The Light
cookie lover

In my opinion, I'd never be able to live if I were to live with no sensory input at all. That'd be too horrible. <_>

kek
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

That's funny! Last night I got carried from a DXM post here in the forum to a FAQ 'bout it in www.erowid.org . These things are not know for sure, because they're never deeply studied.
But the hypothesis of the FAQ's author is that in large (and dangerous, he wisely keeps remembering) doses, the drug may inhibit all sensory input. He discuss a little about what may happen in this case, and he has some reports of how it's like.
If you wanna take a look, here's the link:

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_experienc e.shtml

Disclaimer: As the author himself wrote: "I'm not a doctor and I'm not going to play one on the net either". And as usual for internet sources, you shouldn't take ANYTHING for granted.
This said, I must say that it seems pretty serious, and it's probably the best FAQ I've seen. Just take a look at the table of contents or read it for a while and you'll see what I mean.

Fiver
repentant
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

In honor of today, I had to make notice of the title of this message - "Imagine no sensory input, it's easy if you try."

Medical Waste
up the dose
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

Reminds me of the song One, by Metallica.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

i've experienced something when a lucid dream once ended abruptly and i found myself in the void, where i didn't have a body, i couldn't see or hear or feel or smell or taste anything, and i wasn't really thinking either, i was just there. it was a remarkable experience.

print