Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

Nepal Boy Called Reincarnation of Buddha

Author  Message 

Nepal Boy Called Reincarnation of Buddha
PostPosted: Wed 23 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

I found an interesting story.
Quote:

KATMANDU, Nepal - A teenage boy has been meditating in a Nepalese jungle for six months, and thousands have flocked to see him, with some believing he is the reincarnation of Buddha, police and media said Wednesday.

Ram Bahadur Banjan, 15, sits cross-legged and motionless with eyes closed among the roots of a tree in the jungle of Bara, about 100 miles south of the capital, Katmandu.

He's supposedly been that way since May 17 — but his followers have been keeping him from public view at night.

A reporter for the Kantipur newspaper, Sujit Mahat, said he spent two days at the site, and that about 10,000 people are believed to visit daily.

Soldiers have been posted in the area for crowd control, officials said.

A makeshift parking lot and cluster of food stalls have sprung up near Banjan's retreat, an area not previously frequented by visitors.

Many visitors believe Banjan is a reincarnation of Gautama Siddhartha, who was born not far away in southwestern Nepal around 500 B.C. and later became revered as the Buddha, which means Enlightened One.

Others aren't so sure.

Police inspector Chitra Bahadur Gurung said officers have interviewed the boy's associates about their claim that Banjan has gone six months without food or drink.

Officers have not directly questioned the boy, who appears deep in meditation and doesn't speak.

"We have a team ... investigating the claim on how anyone can survive for so long without food and water," Gurung said.

Local officials have also asked the Royal Nepal Academy of Science and Technology in Katmandu to send scientists to examine Banjan.

Mahat said visitors can catch a glimpse of Banjan from a roped-off area about 80 feet away from him between dawn and dusk.

Followers then place a screen in front of him, blocking the view and making it impossible to know what he is doing at night, Mahat said.

"We could not say what happens after dark," Mahat said. "People only saw what went on in the day, and many believed he was some kind of god."

Buddhism teaches that right thinking and self-control can enable people to achieve nirvana — a divine state of peace and release from desire. Buddhism has about 325 million followers, mostly in Asia.

Lebowsk1
cookie lover
cookie lover

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

eek2

Wow. We'll have to see how this one turns out. I've read of guys like this in India, who make David Blane look like a n00b.

Alatar
Awakening Oneself
Somniologist

Have Buddhist leaders named him the reincarnation or is it only random followers? Just a bit curious.

Inch
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

Can you post a link?

how can that boy be the Buddha, if the Buddha broke free from the cycle of reincarnation when he reached nirvana? or am i misinformed on the subject?..

Lebowsk1
cookie lover
cookie lover

Heh good point.

I'd like for him to be observed at night time. I mean if this boy is just meditating round the clock with no eating or resting then that is incredible.

Petter
Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
LD count: 5ish

Agree with lebowski .

Why can`t his followers just show him at night ?

That would be so avesome , besides that they actually may "prove" that its possible smile

iDaniel
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Dark Sider wrote:
how can that boy be the Buddha, if the Buddha broke free from the cycle of reincarnation when he reached nirvana? or am i misinformed on the subject?..

I don't think you are. I am pretty sure that when you attain Nirvana you either don't want to be reincarnated or just are not reincarnated .. I think I read that somewhere.

I don't think it's true because it's very suspicious they don't show him at night.

In regards to reincarnation, it could be possible that a soul would come back, perhaps with the sole mission of helping others achieve nirvana.

Shikihe
Prodigy
Somniologist

what if the boy is dead, and his followers make-up him every night to look alive. ITS HOAX!

freedom88
Extreme escapist
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

MagicMind wrote:
In regards to reincarnation, it could be possible that a soul would come back, perhaps with the sole mission of helping others achieve nirvana.

...is that not what the Dalai Lama is believed to be... i'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Please feel free to correct me if im wrong... ^^

lucidboy
A.k.A-CD
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sat 26 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

I heard on the radio that that boy isn't actually the reincarnation of Budha, They said that it was actually of Muhammad. I don't necesarily agree nor i'm sure if it is true.

print