dream relationships w/ unexpected people

Sorry if this is already a topic somewhere, I couldn’t find it…

Has anyone figured out yet why on Earth we dream about having physical relationships with the oddest people? I don’t mean made-up DCs, I mean real life people.

I had a dream last night where I was dating some guy at work who I don’t have the remotest interest in (and I am in a great relationship IRL) and when I woke up I was like, “Huh?” Why the heck did I dream about him?

Of course this kind of thing has happened before and will likely happen again, but to me it’s a real noodle-scratcher! :content:

It looks like everyone is too embarrassed :clown: to post in here :tongue:

I’ve had quite a few dreams of this nature, you always wake up thinking WHY?

/me goes into hiding :hide:

Well, I don’t mid those too much, but I usually prefer not to make them public nonetheless…

Yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes, I wonder if my brain has lost it :crazy: A couple of months ago…I had a dream where I had…ahem…relations…with a teacher I had years ago in the 8th grade. I don’t even know why this happened…because not only had I completely forgotten about this teacher, but also she was extremely not attractive. I don’t like it :sad: its too gross!

Maybe our sub conciouses just like to pull pranks on us :eek:

I was married to Cheryl Hines, once. You know, from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I have those too ! (or had it is a while ago)

In the dream world I actually likes HAIRY girls .

Hairy as in a dog is hairy , Yuk !

I once had one involving, among some other stuff, a friend of mine from school. She was a friend I didn’t ever have any kind of interest in, other than friendship itself. She even had a boyfriend at the time. I woke up feeling really weird o_o and the feeling continued for a while.

For as long as I can think , I never had this kind of dream.

According to psychanalysis, DC’s represent functions of your psyche. Thus having physical relations with somebody is the simplest way to represent that you feel closer to what this DC symbolizes. And dreaming this DC dead the simplest way to show you’re growing away from what they represent.

Dreaming they’re dead? Can’t say I’ve had a dream about any dead people, ever…I don’t think I have, anyway…I’ve dreamt about the un-dead (vampires), but that’s another story. :content:

I wonder what my coworker symbolized to my subconscious? And what BenDrummin’s unattractive teacher symbolized to him? Sometimes I just want to smack my subconscious! :tongue:

I dreamed I was gay once, it was really wierd, and gross, but in the dream I was really into it. Has this ever happaned to anyone? Please say yes.

Someday I dreamed that I killed my friends…

I will never do that…

Its a good thing Freud isn’t around to tell all of you that you had those dreams because they are your true inner desires. That would just be annoying.
Anyway i never had a dream i was gay, but i was once a girl who was into a guy. Hmm what else… I’ve had intimate relations with inadimate objects in dreams before. Weirdest was prolly a person made out of legos.

:uh::no:…sorry…

Oh! Oh! I had one of those “unexpected-dream-relationships”…haha! :happy: Me and BB! :hugs:

Unexpected to me? Well, for a dream…:no:

[size=75]IRL? Haha! :happy: I’ll let you guys play with that idea…:wink:[/size]

I did around the same thing .Just that me and one friend tried to kill the 2 others by trowing knives at them ! :eh:

a little off topic … I’ve had dreams where I have been with females both while being female and male in different dreams. It seems to be fairly common to dream about it.
/me goes into hiding again … :hide:

I think so, maybe once or twice.

And to garebear, good thing Freud was mostly wrong about all that “inner desire” stuff! :content: I believe that our dreams represent how we feel but only to a point, like a metaphor, if I dream I’m a bird, it doesn’t mean that I want to be a bird, it might mean that I just want to fly in my dream or that I want to fly free in a metaphoric sense IRL, as in break free of stress, etc.

But that still doesn’t mean I have the slightest clue why the heck I dreamt about the guy at work who I barely know. :confused:

By the way, Freud said that many dreams are based upon hidden desires but he said too that those dreams show it in a symbolic way. For instance, a boy could dream he enters a grotto in which he finds the girl he likes. (I suppose this symbol to be clear enough. :wink: )

So if you dream about sexual relations, it doesn’t correspond to the case above and Freud is not wrong IMO.

Wasn’t Freud the one who thought that most, if not all, of our dreams are about sexual desires? I’ve also read that, “In Freudian terms, dreams are invariably seen as mirrors of repression and psychological ill health”, “…many of Freud’s assumptions are found to be unscientific and inaccurate”, and “Freud believed that the unconscious mind was a turmoil of socially unacceptable desires and impulses, and was always on the point of exploding…”. (I’m quoting from Malcolm Godwin’s The Lucid Dreamer.)

I just think that dreams mean much more than the “socially unacceptable desires and impulses” that Freud assumed they represented. :smile:

I think saying that “most, if not all, of our dreams are about sexual desires” is reducing Freud ideas. If you read Freud’s interpretations, you’ll find it’s not all about sexuality. Yet repressed sexual desires were important in the nevrosis cases he studied.

By the way, there is a battle between recent psychanalists and lucid dreamers, so what they say about each other is not to be heard IMO. Saying that “many of Freud’s assumptions are found to be unscientific and inaccurate” is not very clever, because it’s like saying “many of Newton’s assumptions are inaccurate”. Freud was the first scientist who was interested in dreams then it’s normal he may be wrong sometimes. His point of view was very scientific. Those who claim that his opinions are unscientific have generally less scientific points of view than he had. They are spiritualists who believe that human is all goodness or scientists with strong religious beliefs.

I think Freud would agree with this. But I don’t think he believed that unconscious was only that, otherwise there wouldn’t be any possible cure! :content:

I think so. I think Freud thought so too. For instance, he was convinced that telepathy was possible through dreams. I think lots of inaccurate things have been written while vulgarizing Freud’s theories. I don’t say Freud was always right, but his books are far from stupid, according to the few means of studying brain he had.