Immortality through Lucid Dreams.

I didn’t know that the brain remained active so long after death. If this is true, I suppose it might be possible to become lucid in this time and prolong the experience, perhaps even for hours or weeks (or years…?). But of course immortality can’t be reached this way. Immortality is the state of living forever, and your brain cannot fit an infinite amount of thought into ten minutes. Don’t forget that dreaming is a physical process in the real world–electrical signals have to fire, chemicals have to get to the right places.

I know that there are theories about the nature of “prolonged” dreams–namely, that our brains prolong dreams by leaving out time periods that we deem unimportant, as television does. So some of you may be thinking that this process would allow us to dream for a seemingly infinite amount of time. But infinity wit gaps is still infinity. Think about if you took all the numbers that exist–you’d have an infinite amount of numbers, right? Now let’s say you took out all the numbers with 2 included as a digit. You’d still have an infinite amount of numbers.

Unfortunately, this means an infinitely long dream simply isn’t possible in a finite lifetime. So immortality? No. Seemingly prolonged life? Perhaps. We’ll never know until we get to try it ourselves. :wink:

This is a theroy. I was speaking as if all of these things can happen, such as a dream being prolonged to the extreme, so that it feels like centuries. It does make sense though, right?

Yes, it does make sense–assuming that the mental state just after death is really as dreamlike as we’d like to think it might be.

Centuries…well, there was that one guy who said he had a 100-year-long LD. When he dies, maybe he’ll be able to achieve the goal you’re talking about. Most of the rest of us might be able to get a week or so. :wink: Purely hypothetical, of course.

Now, this sounds very weird(no offense) - but interesting…worth trying, just hope that you die with an intact brain, and not with your head smashes to a pulp :meh:

Yeah…a bullet through the head would probably limit your LDing capabilities. :wink:

I don’t think that’s true. I’ve had many LD’s using the “get shot in the face teqnique”. :tongue:

But yes, you’re right. All this is assuming your brain is intact, and now that you mention it, free from dementia and other degenerative diseases of the brain.

The closest way to try is trying to make a LD longer(while alive)…
But, I cant even get a LD xD

Shot in the face technique, you crazy guy you. That was pretty funny. Well, it took long enough for someone to come up with such an obvious experiment Machician. Good job.

When we’re dreaming, our memory of past dream events can be really bad. So when the scene jumps to something else, maybe a few days or weeks into the future we won’t feel as if any time has gone by because we’ve forgotten everything before this moment.

I believe dreams can be prolonged a certain amount, but there must be a limit :confused:

I don’t know if there is a limit. If there is one thing I have learned from LD’s, it is that there are no limits, just lack of practice. I am not talking about physically prolonging a dream, by the way. I am talking about making it feel longer in your head.

mmm i have started to read enough about this to really start thinking about it. Do i think it is possible to extend time to an infinate time just after the body dies? no.

i think that you could make it feel like you are lasting a long time, but there would be a limit to it. Even with advanced techs, i think that seeing the brain isnt gettnig anypower, eventually it will die like verything else, and so too will your dreaming. As dreaming takes power just like everything else.

But atm i am fence sitting in a way as well. I have never acutlaly extended time a lot in dreams, i have a little but never a lot, so until i can atempt it i wont actually take a place here, but i am in two thoughts i guess.

1. you could live forever in your mind after death, as your body shuts down your brain goes into shock, chemicals are released that are only released twice in your life, once at birth once at death, and then boom you are in a lucid dream, the “after life” where you live in that state for 10 minutes real time but in your dream time it is eternity.

2. you can only live in that state until your brain runs out of power, either thats going to be 10 minutes, or faster because you are fireing a lot more chemials around a lot more power is used to create an infinate amount of thoughts and in this process you actually “kill” your self a lot quicker then you would if u didnt.

wow i am glad that this cant be proved till death this is going to be a quesiton that is going to haunt me. THANKS GUYS!!! :ohno: :dark: :rip:

In addition we don’t know what is after life , maybe its more interesting then Dreaming.

I could never see why people don’t want to die. This may sound weird, but because of the questions we have brought up here, and many others, I want to die. Not right now, and not for a long time, but I look forward to it, I just wanna see what happens.

Totally! It’s fascinating to think of because our physcial bodies can make it hard for us to be in contact with our intuitive selves, but once it’s gone we’ll suddenly understand so many things that we couldn’t see before.
If anything, death’s kind of exciting, it’s pain I’m not too fond of.

Or we won’t learn any of the answers because we will cease to exist in any form; in which case we won’t care because we will cease to exist in any form… I’m not saying that is what happens when you die…but there is always the what if…

And in that case it seems scary but when you think of it…It wont matter because you wouldn’t have any thoughts or feelings… lol… let me know how you feel about this…wouldn’t it suck to not exist…but at the same time not suck…

There’s a movie about this. Including lucid dreaming. It’s called Waking Life and has got this awesome retroscopic (???) looking. Check it out.

That’s one reason to get good at LDing. To give yourself an afterlife of your own design.

Personally, I’m not really of any faith. I believe that we either just stop being or that somehow we can become reincarnated. I’ve never believed in an actual afterlife but having a lucid dream during death would be cool.

But, as your mind is slowing down to a complete shut down, wouldn’t you actually process data slower, so any dream you have wouldn’t even seem like ten minutes… although, again, if you’re actively usiong you’re brain (as in you are concious withing your dream) wouldn’t that prompt a fuller supply of oxygen to your brain allowing you to work at full capacity. And leading on from that, wouldn’t you be using all the left over oxygen to do so and thus be coming closer to your brains shut down more quickly.

I started rambling and I confused myself. I’m still debating whether or not you could make your dream longer or whether it would be a shorter dream because of the fact you’re dying. :confused:

Those are good points :ok:

I’m still quite skeptical about this kind of dream actually feeling very long. But then, i’m not an advanced lucid dreamer so i’m not sure how much is posssible. I read once that tests had shown the brain waves of people in dream sleep were very similar to those of people with amnesia.

Can anyone tell me what research this is? The only place I can find any mention of it is in Waking Life and LD4All.

im not usually the one to be putting down theorys but you dont dream for 90 min after you fall asleep