Ghosts?

More depressing than cool, I’d say,
‘What? I got to do it all over again?’

:wink:

Gee Zenica,

That’s a tough one. I once read a book (fiction) where the persons thought to have been ghosts were from a long time past and very much alive in their time, but because of some time-dimensional quirk, had been transported into the future, which was the present for the observers.

I guess the energy of people who are dream-travelling could manifest in a ghostly form but then the observer would recognize them as living people if they are known to the observer and so not regarded as ghosts.

By the way, I once had an experience where I speculate that I might have been in a ‘waking dream’, that is, where a part of my brain might have fallen asleep or sleep-like trance while I was awake according to other parts of my brain. I saw someone who I later confirmed was not there and who was very much alive, although at the time I thought I had seen a ghost in the form of that person. So, although this was not quite your question, I do believe one can see a ‘ghost’ when the observer is in a waking dream. But this doesn’t explain why more than one person might see the same phenomenon, except of course if the collective subconscious can transfer a vision from one person to others. But this is all speculative. Despite this though, I believe that there are energy forms that ‘survive’ as ghosts.

If this is confusing I guess its because the mind is so mysterious and hard to comprehend.

i believe in ghost.i saw one…at least i think i did :/.someone had died that was kinda close to me. i thought i saw him 3 times.in my kitchen across the street and in my drive way :eek: kinda scary so i believe! iv’e seen another it was really scary but its to long of a stroy

The available terminology for dead people is more complex. Ghosts may be better described as a kind of event - the appearance of psychic phenomenon relating to an incident of a person’s life after they have died. Some think of them as more a "recorded memory of a life than the spirit of a person. However, these are all obviously open to interpretation and debate.

Either way, I am reminded of what one person I know noted once…There’s more reason to fear the living than the dead.

Eoghan

:devil:

Many people dont exist in ghost and life after death but me I think it could exist.

I mean if life after death doesnt exist , life suck a lot.

I also believe in science, Rad, but after the stuff thats happened, it could be more than just coincidence…

I’ve heard about three different theories explaining the existence of ghosts.

• The scientific theory is that ghosts don’t exist and are just hallucinations or dreams. This could explain why people are more likely to see ghosts in old houses and castles. Not because lots of horrible murders tend to happen in these places, but because people expect to see ghosts.

• The parapsycological explanation is that ghosts are caused by emotion. The theory is that emotion causes people to exhibit psychic powers that they can’t use normally. Sometimes these powers are similar to telekinesis and move objects about (poltergeists). Sometimes these strong emotions are thought to leave a record of events known as ghosts. (The residual ghosts that Darkness Myth talked about)

• The last theory is the one that ghosts actually exist and are actual people who are trapped between this life and the next one. Some people are thought to be trapped reliving their last moments over and over again. According to a site about OBE’s that I used to visit (I think it was the Monroe institute), some of these ghosts have been persuaded to move on to the next life by people having OBE’s, but I can’t speak for the authenticity of this information.

I’m not really sure what theory I believe in. I’ve never experienced a ghost myself so I can’t really judge. So i’d probably choose the second or the third explanation, I think the first theory is too closed minded.

i used to believe in ghosts very much. im not so sure anymore, but only because my beliefs have changed greatly over the last year or so. leaning towards mysticism i think shrugs. i dont disbelieve in them.

anyway, one time when i was 15 or 16, i was lying down on my tv room floor watching (you guessed it) tv. it was late afternoonish. my grandma was way on the other side of our elongated house watching her tv, and my grandpa was outside in the garage.

i was facing the door, which was cracked a half an inch, a mere 4 or so feet from it. the hall, which the door led to, was illuminated by a bright tungsten bulb.

randomly, a figure appeared in the crack. my grandma would often peak through the crack on her way down the hall to tease me. but the footsteps would echo throughout the house whenever anyone walked down the hall. think jurassic park. this time, there were no footsteps at all. just a shadow looking exactly like my grandma when she stood in front of my door.

then the door slammed shut. the only way to do that wouldve been to grab the hole in the door to grasp it. but there were no fingers. i checked to see if the window was open, since that would be the only other way the door would have shut so suddenly, and it was tightly locked. i opened the door, and looked down the hall, there was my grandma sitting on her couch in the family room. i looked through the window into our exposed garage, there was my grandpa sitting at his desk.

i have no explanation other than ghost :neutral:

Have you noticed how many of these posts contain Grandads. Wandering Nico, Rad and Hebrew all mentioned their Grandads in their posts. Is it a coincidence or is there some meaning? :scared:

but my grandad was alive at the time :wink:

:content: I like reading these posts…they make me feel less insane.

My cousin and I used to go around our houses and make notes on how things were. A few minutes later we’d go back and see how many things moved. It amazed us how many things actualy moved. I eventualy came to the conclusion they were moved by ghosts to entertain us. Some where along the line, I made a little journal of all the experiences I’ve had with ghosts. (or other similar things).

My 2 “most famous” ones were one: when I was learning to ride my bike without training wheels :cool: I started going down my driveway, and for some reason, I just froze. I picked up a lot of speed going down (long driveway). I wanted to stop at the bottom, but I didn’t, I couldn’t. CRASH!
Right into the garage door. my bike and I bounced back about a foot, and then I was perfectly balanced :eh: I didn’t fall, as if my bike was connected to the ground and couldn’t fall. I looked around for a few seconds trying to figure out what the heck just happened, then put my foot down. once my foot touched the ground, the bike tilted slightly as if gravity was returned. I have heard of time “slowing down” for people, but I don’t think that happened. I was able to completely move my head and the trees, birds, all noises were normal.
Note: I was not hurt in the making of this odd occurance, except my butt, from the bounce…

The second happened in the middle of the night. I ate a bowl of ice cream before I went to sleep, and left the empty bowl and spoon on my dresser. At about 1 AM (or so) I woke up to a loud clanging noise. It sounded like something metal striking a glass thing. It was really windy out (but not in) so I thought it was outside. I tried to ignore it and go back to sleep. The wind died a little, but the clanging continued. Now it was making me mad. :grrr: I realized what it was then. In my head I focused on the image of the spoon and bowl nad yelled at it to stop. After a few more seconds it slowed, and stopped. In the morning , when I woke up agian, I looked at it and realized the spoon was in a very different spot from where I left it. :eek: I left the spoon sticking out the right side of the bowl (cause I was holding it with my right hand) and it was now sticking out of the left side.

Who knew I had pshycic powers :tongue:

My Grandad was alive at the time, and he still is. The only thing i think of his involvement, is that he was woken up, and came to ask what it was. Then he had no recollection of it.

Its a bit similar to me at times. I think i have had some “Psychic” potential, but mainly it was clairvoyant dreams. I used to have those a lot. However, i once tried out telekinesis, and it didn’t work, although i felt something inside of me. i might get trying it again.

This is all really interesting. I haven’t had much of an experience with a ghost. Or, maybe I have, but it was minor and I must have dismissed it. However, my parents were at Fire Island, NY. We go there every summer. I was a baby (a little after I was adopted) and my sister was twelve. A lot of weird things were going on. Fire Island is a pretty old place, and the house has been in my dad’s family for generations. (My dad’s grandmother Mercedes died in that house. The house is uber old-fashioned and pretty scary.) At night, my dad said she heard footsteps coming from downstairs. Everyone was upstairs though. Me, my mom, dad, sister, my dad’s mom and her boyfriend… They were all upstairs. Then, a huge stormed erupted. It’s NOT a good thing when there’s a storm on Fire Island… You’ll get an inch of water building up there’s just a little more than a drizzle. Before thunder would sound, everyone would hear foot steps from upstairs. This time, everyone was downstairs. This happened a total of three times. For some reason my sister was at the becah in this storm with my mom. There was a live wire by the water that my sister was walking towards. My mom yelled for her to move and right as she was about to step on it the wind knocked her back. That’s real lucky. Or was it? << >> Finally, everyone was told to evacuate the island because the storm was getting crazy. That meant as many people as possible had to get on the ferry. Normally there’s only one ferry from Bay Shore to Fire Island but they ordered out more ferries. So, according to my mom, the ferry was basically a bath toy.

We all arrive at Bay Shore safely and go to Pachougue which is in Long Island, this is where my mom’s parents live. There’s a huge storm there too, but it’s not on an island and the houses are much more stable. So, I’m put upstairs in a crib. Suddenly, my mom hears a loud crack. She rushes upstairs to see a tree above my head. So she moved the crib and got me out. Now, everyone is down stairs. They all hear foot steps going up and down the stairs and down the hall. Scary.

Well, one time when I was in bed trying to sleep, a figure was standing on the opposite side of them room. Then it got closer and there was just a face, which rushed at me and my brother (who was also in the room at the same time watching the whole thing) describes as “going right through me”. He was well awake, and watching the whole thing and was able to describe it exactly as i had seen it, so it couldn’t have been mere coincidence. My Grandma was doing laundry and she saw keys, which my dad had been looking for, drop right out of thin air next to my dad’s head. Craziness xD

You see, I’ve been reading up about ghosts and spirits being seen by people…the usual stories. I still can’t decide if this is true or not. I was wondering how many of you believe in this or don’t. If you do, post the reasons why, and if you don’t, do so too! I’d just like to get different opinions on this.

And finally…this is just for those of you who do believe you can see ghosts/spirits, that they exist; if you’re unlucky you can summon up a ‘bad’ one with a ouija board and have a pretty bad time, right? But what about if you don’t do a séance or anything. Is there any way of being annoyed by ghosts anyway, just like that?

I’d really like to hear some good reasons to believe they don’t exist, 'cause I’m getting all freaked out. :tongue:

Merged with existing topic

I’ve had many experiences that could be ghostly, but growing up with a mother who sees and communicates with them, that’s probably not surprising.

I’ve heard voices before, once when I was about 6/8yrs old I was laying in my bed, it would have been 11pm or there about. From the foot of my bed I heard a male voice say my name, the voice was unfamiliar (and any family members would have been in bed also) and what I found stranger is that it was my birth name that was called not my common name.

In 2nd year at Junoir School (so age 8/9) when ever I was alone in the class room a banging noise could be heard from the store room. There was never any one in there and the only way in or out would been through the classroom. In the storeroom was an old blue cupboard and the banging would come from this. - That particular class room was part of the original boarding school and would have been a bedroom so the storeroom would likely have been the clothes room.

During one lunch time me and a friend was in catching up on work and the banging started. He said that it does that when he was in the room alone too, a couple of minutes later we both saw a blueish flash of light pass in front of the blackboard. My “friend” ran out of the room leaving me alone.

• When I was 15 I was awoken at around 6am and heard a male voice right next to me say “shh you’ll wake him” - the only other male that lived in the house was my father and he would have been at work for another hour.

• Around the same time my mother asked me what I had been watching at 5am because she had heard lots of female voices in my room when she went to the bathroom. I was asleep at the time and the TV had not been left on.

So do I believe in the spirit world? Yes. I do have more reasons than those posted, but I like to keep some things to myself. :smile:

As far as “evil spirits” thanks to the Ouija board go, personally I think it is a load of tripe. The Ouija board works no differently to any other form of mediumship, the spirit communicates through YOU. You subconsciously move the placard, just as you subconsciously use move the pendulum or it’s your hand writing through automatic writing. This is one of the reasons such methods are targets for sceptics. There’s no real way to say it wasn’t you moving it.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that. Ghosts/Spirit exist around us in what people call the astral plane, but they can visit us/people they loved/places they lived. Sometimes we hear them or see something we can’t explain. Sometimes there is a smell like freshly baked bread in the kitchen, or cigarette smoke, other times it is just a feeling of a presence or emotion. Most times we just don’t notice at all. Whether you would consider them to be annoying I couldn’t say.

When i was younger i was deeply afraid of the dark, and when i slept at night i kept the tv on for some illumination.

I now don’t have the fear of sleeping in the dark so i usually sleep without anything since i was 11.

I had nightmares about monsters getting me when I was around 5 years old, so i guess that had something to to about it. :grin:

Mohegan, so those stories where the placard moves alone are just lies, then? Right, I didn’t know that. :razz:
And sorry, about the ‘annoying’ spirits thing, I meant…spirits trying to really scare you, on purpose, just for the sake of it, without you having done anything like a Séance or anything? And does any kind of protection exist?

Thanks!

I won’t say it’s entirely impossible or that every occurrence is a lie, I just don’t think it’s that common.

From a general Ouija experience a spirit wouldn’t have enough energy to interact with objects on the level of moving a placard to a specific spot repeatedly.

Spirits can exist in our plane at will, there really is nothing we can do other than ask it to not intentionally scare us. They have every right to be here as we do and we have no power over them as they don’t over us.

Some people believe than having a priest (or similar) perform a house exorcism will banish a spirit, I personally don’t believe this, if the spirit is just lost/doesn’t realise they have passed on then helping them into the light would solve the problem. But if they are there by choice an exorcism, in my view, may just anger them if they respond to it at all.

If you’re having an issue with a mischievous spirit or something along those lines, your first step should be to try politely asking them to stop a specific act and see what happens. I may have something in one of my books about cleansing yourself/house through meditation and visualisation, I just don’t have access to it at this time.