Final Fantasy

Say, wouldn’t it be absolutely totally radical if people actually invented Blitzball IWL? :grin:

I really detested it and it was so annoying that if you didnt play you couldn’t get Wakka’s celestrial weapon! if I wanted a sports game I would have bought one :tongue:
On the other hand I loved the card games in final fantasy VIII and IX … of the two i preferred the card game from VIII since you could transform the cards into good stuff.
I was also quite partial to the chocobo racing/breeding in VII :content:

You mean “Triple Triads.” :content:

Yay, me too! :smile:

Since this thread now includes other Square games, (sorry, I haven’t read all 8 pages of the thread, hope I’m not repeating something here), did anyone else play Sword of Mana on Game Boy Advance and find it seriously lacking? I loved the original game Secret of Mana on the SuperNES and I also played and I’m pretty sure I enjoyed* Legend of Mana on PS2 (*it was a while ago), but Sword of Mana was just a big disappointment, it didn’t have the look or feel of the other Mana games (and I’ve been pronouncing it MAN-A all these years and I think it’s supposed to be MON-A), and the story kind of stunk.

I’m really looking forward to Children of Mana for the Nintendo DS (have to buy the DS first but that’ll be no problem with the new Zelda game coming out on DS this fall :colgate: ); I hope it resembles the original game a bit more. Any other Mana fans out there?

I didn’t like Blitzball because it’s purely based on numbers, skill counts almost nothing. But I recruited the best players and destroyed the other teams.
Card games ruined Final Fantasies for me because I’m a perfectionist, and many cards are lost forever AND hard to get. In IX there’s only the Namingway card that can be missed, but it was enought to make me restart from scratch. In VIII, I don’t even want to talk about it. The Random Cards rule ruined 99% of the games with unique and missable cards.

To be truthful, there is a way to cheat in Blitzball in FFX.

Simply teach Tidus the “Jecht Shot”, then swim all the way to the goal as you can. When confronted, endure one (or two) attackers, then use the Jecht Shot. The two remaining attackers gets shot out, and you get a nice aim at the goal that never misses if you’re close enough. Always works for me. :content:

But the card game from 8? Yeah, it sucked. I never managed to learn the rules properly and kept loosing. I can’t even play Sphere Break in X-2 without loosing. :sad:

Sphere Break!!! Getting the Lady Luck costume has SO been ATROCIOUS. I will never do it again. If my file gets lost, I’ll never play FFX-2 again. :silent:

That reminds me, you can get a Spellspring accessory someplace in Chapter 3 or something. Know anything about that?

:shrug: It’s a long time I don’t play it. Again, try using a walkthrough.

I got all the costumes except the best ones :cry: the moogle costume for yuna! … you had to get a chapter complete on everything to get it! … but next time!! :tongue: with the help of a walkthrough :content:

That’s the Mascot dressphere. And they’re shared, right?

yes … I couldn’t think of the name of it and couldn’t be bothered to look it up … I won’t feel like I’ve really done the game until i get it. So it looks like I will be playing the game for the third time to get the final one - the mascot dressphere. :content:
/me is not a final fantasy addict :peek:

I’m lacking that sphere too. I was playing the other day to fetch this awsome accesory that gives you Spellspring (No MP cost), but I got so bored and was like “blah…”.

Well, Final Fantasy XII has been released, so what do all you other FF addicts think? It has great graphics of course, and I think the fighting system is much more comfortable than before. It makes the game flow much better, since you’re not moved to another screen every 10 seconds. Another good thing is the atmosphere in the towns, there’s a nice variety of people, and I just love the kids doing handstands and stuff. :happy: I wasn’t that impressed with the story though, and I miss more voiceover acting. You only really get voiceover in the FMV sequences, which I found a bit disappointing - I want to hear normal townspeoples’ voices too. Also the chocobo concept is not used well in my opinion, riding them is not very fun or special, and you have to kill wild chocobos because they attack you. :sad: The moogles, on the other hand, are used very well I think. :moogle: Another thing I miss, and that I missed in FFX as well is, I want to fly the airship myself! There’s no fun in saying I want to fly to place x, and then you’re just suddenly there. :sigh: Especially considering this game’s nice graphics, flying around the world could have been a real delight.

All in all though, another great Final Fantasy game. It only has minor shortcoming, and its strengths more than compensates. A worthy swan song for the PS2.

I’m playing it now :smile:
I found the battle system a bit odd at first … and still miss the hands on decisions during battles.
Personally I don’t have any affinity to any members of the 6 person party … and much prefer Vaine :tongue:
I’m glad I had recently played the bards tale so I was used to ‘real world battles’ and keeping an eye on the map for nearby red dots :wink:
I haven’t found a real use for the espers I have acquired except for when I got my very first one… since I find the quickening mode a lot more effective in battle.

Aww man I really want to sink my teeth into this, just need a little more free time. I hear that the FFXII takes at least 60 hours to complete too _

can we talk about ANY Final Fantasy here?

Well I like final fantasy 8 the best, followed by final fantasy 7. I just love the characters, and the story of ff8… it’s like a wonderful love story. Which I like, suprisingly for someone of my age. But love is all we have to fall back on really. and trust. but final fantasy 7… they pretty much perfected the battle systems they had been using for all the previous games. Final Fantasy 8 has some awesome cutscenes as well. Like the one where squall is being chased by that big machine thing near the beginning. That was cool. And the flying balamb garden! Actually I thought that was a bit over the top!! But still cool…

yep :yes: the first time I did that seed test … I was on pins because I was worried i wouldn’t get to the beach on time :whew:

Final Fantasy X’s my favorite. It had my favorite battle system of all the FF’s. I also really liked the storyline. Blitzball was pretty fun too. I spent too much time playing blitzball. FF7 was my second favorite. It had a good skill system.

My FFX-2 data became corrupted, along with 90% of the rest of my data. I had 99% complete. It sucked. FFX survived though.

I’m playing XII now. I prefer the turn-based/ATB system of fighting compared to the new, more dynamic one. I find espers to be fairly useful because you can effectively take out a greater quantity of regular monster than with a quickening.

FF7 was the first FF game I played, and has always been my favourite. :smile: It just has great storyline, music, character development system etc. all put together in a single game that no other FF game matches, in my opinion.

FF8 was not bad, but I really detested the level-up system. I was very annoyed both by the fact that you needed the same amount of experience for every level, and by the fact that the monsters level up along with you. For me, it made training feel very boring and useless. The storyline was great though, and the card game was good fun, apart from the random cards rule.

FF9 generally doesn’t seem to be quite as well liked, but I thought it was great. It had a versatile skill system, and I really liked the chocobo minigame. :content: