Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
LD count: 5ish

Re: Working out
PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006  Reply with quote

Stormthunder wrote:
BlissfulBlues wrote:
Stormthunder wrote:
Normally, however, when I want to lose weight I just cut down on meal sizes.

I don't even watch my weight all that much to begin with; at least I still somehow manage to look good. whatsthat

I only check mine when I can visibly see myself getting fatter. tounge2 I love my food, so I eat a lot, but I have a "panic" weight of 57 kilograms (normally I weigh 54 or 55) - whenever I hit that, I cut down on meals until I lose the weight. I figure it's better to prevent getting fat than to wait until it's actually there.

Speaking of which, I just hit 57 again today, so it looks like it's diet time! ^^

54 ? eek2

Thats 1/2 of what i weigh help!

Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

My exercise is Le Parkour.

In fact, parkour is the reason I haven't been on the internet much in the last few months. Instead, I've been climbing on monkey bars and leaping over picnic tables.

Fun

Stormthunder
thunderyness
cookie lover

stranger wrote:
eat more vegetablse and greens, pasta is OK but be careful as it often has lots of fatty ingrediants, Rice is GREAT,

I find that eating rice regularly actually puts on the weight. It's all carbohydrates. I gained four kilos in Japan in four months (pretty drastic weight gain for me), and I mostly blame it on all the rice I ate. I had rice for lunch and dinner every day, and rice in my snacks - sometimes even rice for breakfast! Japanese food is so healthy that there was little else it could have been! (It was so good, though, that rice. Mmmm!)

PS: Day one of diet went well - I've already lost 800 grams so far!

Keiiji
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

You really need to eat healthy fats (most people panic from fats including healthy oils like fish oils and olive oils etc and as a result ahve eevn mroe unbalanced nutrition and put on mroe fat)
Also eat more protein , protein is great because usually if your body doesn't need it it will flush it out for protein to become fat it can take up to 50% of the calories in it , and ovioualy the body is madeo ut of protein therefore the more you eat the better (That myth about kidnes is yet another false roumor)Untrained people should eat about 0.5-8 g per pound and trainees should eat anything from a pound per pound a day to three pounds depends on what are thier activities , bodybuilding and other high intensity activities need oviously bigger protein boost.
also meal timing amount of calories , vitamins , minerals , fiber and even types of protein and carbs the person doing it (You can only give harmfull *presice* deiting guideliens on the internet because of this)

therefore that dude who gave the advice about not eating dairy and eating grains etc this advice is really invalid and should not be practiced ,

also about rice.......... uhh rice is pure carbonhydrate with medium GI , eating lots of it can fatten you up but you can add it to any meal that you want to eat carbs on like breakfast till anythign you eat before 6pm

(By the way for any person 6 meals is a recomended medium 4 meals is the minumum and people looking to either gain muscle and even leand down and take effort into it 10 meals are reccomended by some oviously or proportionate size for most people that means what they already eat since I see many people eating as if they liev in a 3rd world nation and eblivign that eating anything more then 2000 calories is what going to make them fat)

also a very valid advice here sicne it's a lucid dreaing forum eat you heaviest meals on dinner , ever heard of the word food coma? well that'sa very good way to induce good sleep basicly you eat 0 carb fat+protein meal like fish a salad with olive oil and some dairy(by the day dairy is excelent at night because it's made of casein protein)
will make you sleepy very fast and will not make you hyper active with mood swings like carbonhydrates do.

oh and also NEVER *EVER* workout at night or 4~ hours before sleep if you want good sleep

wah that was long......... anyawy I hope people find soem usefull advice here although diet should have it's own thread.

Fyorrg
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 7ish

Go treeplanting... although this will probably ruin your body.

Current LD goal(s): 1 per week
Humble Dreamer
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 60

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2006  Reply with quote

oh boy.
Workout
I have muay thai 2 days a week. I work there for 1 1/2 hours, doing all sorts of different things. Lots of heavy bag work, strength training, and some sparring usually.

On saturday morning I go there for open workout thingy, where my friend and I usually practice blocks and some simple sparring for 30 minutes, and then do strength and bag work for another hour.

On friday I condition my legs and fists, which hurts a bit but is worth it in the long run. I kick a tree until my legs are hurt, and then do punch combos on it (wearing good bag gloves, of course) This all will make my bones and muscles more resistant to damage taken in the ring. I'd not suggest you do this unless you plan on fighting, as it's not the most pleasant thing to do shy2

Diet

As for food, I eat a lot tounge2 These are all in my house usually, so I eat mass quantities of them grin
Lots of carbs: bagels, sandwiches, pasta, rice, ect.
Protein: I eat an obscene amount of cottage cheese.
meat: chicken, turkey and tilapia mostly
Fruit: tons! sooo good! kiwi, apples, strawberries, pineapple, watermelon, oranges, grapes, bananas, berries of all colors. and many more exotic varieties.
Drinks: water (best drink ever) Pom, milk, orange juice, and some teas.

I really don't have a diet, I just avoid foods that are obviously bad (fastfood and soda)

If you want to build muscle, go with high protein and high carbs. Drink tons of water (believe me, it's a magic potion, I drink 3 liters a day) and work out about three days a week. You can do more, but recovery is more important than amount you workout. If you are sore, do not work that muscle, as it will only negate the previous workout, and leave you with less mass than when you started.

Phew, hands hurt from typing tounge2

PS - multivitamins are great, I love them dearly grin

Keiiji
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I'd say drinking up to 6 liters is the minumum 3liters might be enough only if you live in a conditioned room all day and in rather cold weather , even so you should rink a lot to flush toxins out of the body...

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

Keiiji wrote:
I'd say drinking up to 6 liters is the minumum 3liters might be enough only if you live in a conditioned room all day and in rather cold weather , even so you should rink a lot to flush toxins out of the body...

6 liters is actually the water overdose ammount. (I'm dead serious here. ) Check the article on it.

Petter
Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
LD count: 5ish

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006  Reply with quote

It also stand in the article that it all boils down to how much you sweat.

(So I should drink much to be in danger;) )

Keiiji
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006  Reply with quote

Bruno wrote:
Keiiji wrote:

6 liters is actually the water overdose ammount. (I'm dead serious here. ) Check the article on it.

in this case I should be dead from water overdose each day for the last few years and so many other people

rad
Dream Deity

I was hitting the weights a good deal during most of this year to add some more muscle but now I have a routine focused around cardio and endurance. I usually run a couple miles a few times a week, do some non-impact boxing/kickboxing with weighted gear, occasionally use the bag if I need to get some stress out, then I round it out with some heavy cardio workouts with free weights and whatnot. But I do take every second day off to recover. When it comes to my diet I can usually get away with eating the way I want to since I'm what is known as a 'hardgainer'. That's about it I guess, other than that I just take my vitamins and get plenty of sleep at night. ^^

Keiiji
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

A workout routine I ahve posted in a bodyweight training forum for the upper body:

koltz wrote:
The basic begginers routine by koltz

Okey first of all I had to use the word perfect , but what I meant is that it is the most balanced , middle , starter , basic so on routine that ivolves training various muscle groups equely.

I am leaving the amount of reps and frequency to you to decide , basically the closer the reps are to 50~ the less frequency you need to use , when doing higher reps cut down on the sets or spread them throughout the day , while doing lower reps you should train more frequently since your overall time under tention is low.

Also this is a pure upper body routine , as much as the core and legs go you decide what to do with them , I reccomend training both on a different day anyway..... but for most cases you SHOULD train your legs and core so don't ignore them.

The routine:

Pullups
pullups X 3 X max
Chins X 2 X max
Wide grip pullups X 2 X max
close grip chins X 2 X max

Dips

Dips X 3 X MAX not to faliure but close (for all excersises)
wide grip dips X 3 X max
Streching dips \ close grip dips X 3 X max

Handstand pushups:

Normal flared elbows \ grip X 3 X max
Tucked elbows X 3 X max
Wide grip flared elbows X 3 X max

If you are turlly a begginer you probably think

"OMG!! did he mean a handstand? how the hell am I going to do a handstand and what the hell is the rest anyway"

Well I'm going to explain it from the beggining now so bear with me:

The muscles ivolved
We are training 3 different movements with some variations to them:

Rows:
The main muscles ivolved are:
The posterior deltroids
Latsimus dorsi. ---Especially with a wide grip
Lower and middle traps
Brachilias --especially with narrow grips
Biceps brachii --Especially with narrow grips
Rhomboids. ---Especially with a wide grip

Presses:
Pectrolis (sternal head). ---Especially with a wide grip
Lower Traps
Anterior deltroids --especially with narrow grips
Triceps brachii --Especially with narrow grips

Overhead presses:

Anterior deltroids --especially with narrow grips
Triceps brachii --Especially with narrow grips
Lateral deltroids ---Especially with a wider grip
Pectrolis (cavicular head)
Upper traps

And others , Look in http:\\www.exrx.net for more info

Excersise progressions
since we are training with bodyweight we cannot just use heavier weights unless we fattern up which is not wanted mostly...
But we can progress into harder positions , for more info look at the levels in this site or PM me.

Presses:
Decline pushups(agienst a wall or a table) ---> Pushups ---> Side to side pushups ---> Dips ---> side to side dips ---> one arm pushups ---> one arm levrage pushups ----> one arm dips

Pulls:
Pullups agienst a doorframe(standing near and holding a doorframe leaning back and pulling to it) ---> bodyweight rows ----> kipping pullups ---> pullups --->side to side pullups ---> one arm pullups

overhead presses:
Bent pushups agienst a wall(Bent means you bend at your hips a bit so yuor shoulders face whatever you push slightly that's all) ----> bent pushups ----> incline bent pushups ---->high incline bent pushups --->handstand pushups ---> side to side handstand pushups --->handstand dips ---->side to side handstand dips ----> one arm incline bent pushups ----> one arm handstand pushups / dips

Oviously if you are near the harder excersises you are beyond the help of this tutorial but heck they are impressive !

Regarding dips and handstands
You can do pullups almost anywhere on a door a treebranch a park or just a pullup bar , but dipping bars are rarer and pretty much useless , Use abjuctable Pbars or simply padded identical chairs to do dips between them this way you controll the width of the motion.

For handstands you can try practicing on a soft place like a matraass that faces a wall (like your bed) starting from a headstand and eventually learning to kick into a handstand , when you can do it agienst a wall your good to go , but make sure yo put a pillow underneath you when ever you can and ALWAYS when you start out , also don't do it in small spaces sicne you end up crashing down on stuff unless it's a narrow room that the wall might jsut catch you.
for more info on handstands go to beastskills.com , but make sure you do not miss it it's mandatory for all BW trainees!!

a few more notes:
Well if you don't understand anything PM me and Ill fix the section on it and also I need some good vids and images for the excersises so if anyone can send some would be welcome

And also try to make sure you got close numbers of reps on each of the movements...

~fin~

Keiiji
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

For cardio I reccomend Striders , rowing , jump rope and swimming , because they take all the body instead of running on a threadmill which only works the legs

my personal favorite is jumping rope with dubble unders or tripple unders and or heavy dumbells \ bands that make it harder and need more strength to perform the movement of the arms it's awesome!

Oh and the routine text was white =\ so you need to highlight it to read it!

JaRoD
LD Addict :P
cookie lover
Chat Mods

Eating often is very good no matter what, during weekdays I eat 7 times/day but smallish amounts. Right now I'm eating 2800 kcal and I'm only 60 kg and the past month I've gained 3 kg from 57 to 60 and apparently with no fat gain grin But part of that is from creatine though. And 30% of the calories I eat come from fat. And 30% from protein and most of that comes from crushed soy beans.

I do basic compound exercises and not too many in total and for few sets. And I also increase the weights I use weekly, I believe that's important for growth.

day 1: abs, bent over rows, pullups, deadlift
day 2: dips, dumbell flyes, upright rows, military press.

And I do that 2 times weekly.
I do 1 set on most ones and I only do so many reps that I can fully complete the last one but not another complete one.

Keiiji
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006  Reply with quote

JaRoD wrote:
Eating often is very good no matter what, during weekdays I eat 7 times/day but smallish amounts. Right now I'm eating 2800 kcal and I'm only 60 kg and the past month I've gained 3 kg from 57 to 60 and apparently with no fat gain grin But part of that is from creatine though. And 30% of the calories I eat come from fat. And 30% from protein and most of that comes from crushed soy beans.

I do basic compound exercises and not too many in total and for few sets. And I also increase the weights I use weekly, I believe that's important for growth.

day 1: abs, bent over rows, pullups, deadlift
day 2: dips, dumbell flyes, upright rows, military press.

And I do that 2 times weekly.
I do 1 set on most ones and I only do so many reps that I can fully complete the last one but not another complete one.

The truth about soy:
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=302poi son2

...actually many goverment agencies soy companies and vegans try to dismiss all of this by invenging some imaginary reserch amde that disprooves it but I couldn't find one yet

print