Tons of irriational thoughts just before sleep

I dunno if you ppl have it the same as me. If you pay attention carfully to the point where you are just about to lose consciousness, all kinds of irrational thoughts take place. I’ll give you an example. I was falling asleep while thinking about my choir practice, and then suddenly I was wondering what might happen if I shot (with a gun) someone directly in the mouth while he was singing. Then my mind went on to say that the bullet would follow the gullet into the stomach (clearly not possible) and because of the heat of the bullet, fry every food inside, and hence cause hot feces which might rise up (due to convection currents) after being escreted. (All this is clearly insane)

All this happened so fast that I could not believe what I was thinking about. Same, when I was dozing off in the car while listening to the news, it gets even wierder, cos I would distort the news and it would end up really wierd.

This only happens when I’m half asleep, like during waking up, and while trying to sleep. How about u ppl? Similar experiences?

:eek:

woah…this is probably a WILD effect or something, but ~ don’t really know. looks around for pros :scared:

Yes it is just the mind being in “dream mode” while you are not compleatly asleep. In this mode, you just don’t think about how imposable thoughts are, and all kinds of wird things come to mind. The logical and critical parts of your mind are turned down, or off. That is why you can accept all kinds of imposable things in your dreams.
don

my advice is to stop all contact with violent media

according to the Tibetans when we fall asleep we experience a state almost entirely like death (which is verified by science) and from then on we put our egos back together through latent karma.

your karma has left a violent imprint upon your subconscious mind even if you are a civil person.

when we die, exactly as when we dream, if we refuse to surrender to or don’t notice the initial state of “deep sleep” (in this instance, nirvana, heaven, complete formless bliss) we begin to construct a new reality to live in, so it’s good to purge the mind of all that BS that is completely useless.

my two solutions about the thoughts while sleeping are
one is that they are simply you penetrating through to your subconscious patterns and watching them play out their momentum
two you are sometimes penetrating through to the collective consciousness.

do not ever get hung up on what you are thinking because then you can’t transmute it, but in the future it would be good that when you think about choir, you think about singing and how the voice resonates and ponder how you can achieve a great tone instead of thinking about shooting someone in the mouth.

this simply shows how insidious our shoot everything we see video-game/movie mentality is, that it carries through directly and totally into our waking lives and most definitely our sleeping ones.

i used to look at the school stands and imagine what it was like to throw a grenade into the crowd of people so don’t feel too bad. but at the same time all that absolute junk had me suicidal and that mindset put many of my friends into the army. i’m one of the few who really cared enough to not go ahead and act out those violent ideas… many of them decided they would like to live in the reality their video games showed them.

well, Iraq welcomes them :sad:

(oh and to expound on the below poster)
it is completely normal for them to be illogical because the logical mind is suspended so whatever is being pondered can be connected to a vast bank of possibilities that normally the conscious rational mind would never allow. it’s like Freud’s free association:
nancy - drew - rugrats - carmel apple - ice cream - banana - monkey - pie -virus [related to monkey and the monkey mind not pies]?

that’s my minds chain.

I agree with the above statement.

Also you are most definatly not the only one who has these illogical thoughts.

Dont you vorry about it, i experience the same thing every time, at first it freaked me out, but after a while i just got used to it so now i just change thoughts if something bad pups up :content:

Same here… All kind of random stuff just comes up out of nowhere.

A funny thing that happens when I´m dozing of in a buss, when I can hear people talking, I´m getting a dreamscene where everybodys voices are the voices that I´m hearing…

Tw15t3r, yes indeed, what you experience is completely normal. It’s the precise way thoughts come in mind. We don’t aperceive it when awake cause our mind is blurry and agitated. But when we stay relaxed, like in meditation or pre-sleep states, we can see how thoughts form and gather. WILD may be interesting just because of that.

Generally, we have lots of irrationnal thoughts but we make a sort in them and keep just the rational ones and those who are in relation with our personality. Other thoughts are immediatly forgotten. Surrealists noticed this and they based their art upon this constatation.

holy reality, your comment is interesting - though a little out of topic :tongue: - yet it shows that you should practice (or practice more) meditation (for instance chine meditation) cause you don’t perfectly understand how it works. For the moment, it’s just a vague knowledge about karmic imprints that will get you upset cause you can’t use it. First, images form from the phosphenes. Second, we grasp them and give them a sort of reality. At this moment, it’s like HI, random, fleeting and irrational. Then we sort them and it gives them even more reality. We make chains of thoughts. Then we add them an emotional content. It’s my current comprehension.

You’re obviously unaware of this cause you react immediatly when seeing some words and they give you strong emotional reactions. I agree with you concerning video games and especially TV news, they give thoughts of fear and violence, but it’s not by rejecting them that you’ll make any progress. You have to observe impartialy how you react when you’re faced with such thoughts. This can only be made through meditation and not by thinking about thoughts.

So… someone thinks violent video game fans want to go to Iraq? Sorry, but that calls for the :crazy: icon. No-one with an IQ above 50 would want that. No-one thinks “war is like FPS, but with better graphics”. I might agree that seeing a lot of violence leaves an imprint on our dreams, but it doesn’t change our personality. I’ve played FPSes for years, yet I’m strongly opposed to all sorts of wars, I believe gun laws should be much stronger, and I oppose the death penalty.

More on topic… I actually had a very smart random thought the other day. When I was going to bed, getting sleepier, I just realized how I could solve a problem I have in a game I’m programming. I guess there are those kinds too. :smile:

I dream about video-games a lot and i hate myself for that. It’s well annoying and i even thought about stop playing them. Or maybe i dream about them cause i play video games just before going to bed… ah well sorry for going off topic.

Btw i have the same thing, my mind sometimes goes crazy right before falling asleep… so many thoughts… sometimes it’s too much and i have to shout “STOP” in my head to calm myself down… then i relax and let them all flow away till im all alone in a peacefull mind… then i can start sleeping :content:

holy reality, this is so true. Hugs to you. It breaks my heart. I have watched it happen with so many of the kids I’ve had around me while they were growing up. What is also very sad is that they thought they had a chance to do something honorable and decent, for the first time in their short lives…and they were lied to. Hence life in a nightmare.

Or life in a horror movie. I haven’t ever understood about letting kids watch those movies when they are little. What are the parents thinking? Do they think it’s a good safe way for their kids to be scared half to death?

Basilus West, I agree with what you say here. We are surrounded by violence and depression. I don’t think there is any way to block it out, once a child reaches a certain age. Do you have a certain way of meditating?

gabbe, yes! :grin: Or on an airplane, or the sound of a tv or radio… :wink:

Good point, BW. And as we sort the thoughts, you can gently guide them into something you might want to dream about. Something pleasant, or a question you might have, or a place you might want to go. Don’t be mean to yourself about it.

It might help to look at a photo of something, or some object that makes you smile, just before you close your eyes to go to sleep. It could be something simple, or not.

Sorry if I strayed off-topic here and there. :neutral:

:tongue:

:rofl: :rofl: :lmao:

That is HILARIOUS! Dont worry though, my dreams are even more irrational. A lot of that stuff is somewhat scientific, like the bullet heating up the other stuff and whatnot. In one of my dreams, I just had a science class where all we learned is that you can harness the sun’s energy by saying “You” over and over. :ding:

Not really. I don’t practice seriously meditation indeed. I tried sometimes the shine meditation (it’s “shine” in english and not “chine” like I wrote it above). It’s also called shamatha. Its goal is pacifying the mind. But I’m doing it in my own way… :shy: By chance, I just found a book some days ago and it’s explained inside. Now I just have to read it. :content:

But during my numerous unsuccesful WILD tries :happy: I have had all the time to observe how thoughts form. And I often read a meditation practitionner’s blog and what she says is very close to my little experience.

Yep, whoever does WILD most likely knows of these weird thoughts. Sometimes they’ll be so strange that when I try and think of them again, they are just too abnormal to make sense. :eek:

That’s actually kind of funny

Well thanx guys for sharing ur experiences :happy: . More experiences are welcome.

Btw, I’m not worried by this phenomenon… I’m more of like commenting that this is really strange. It can be totally absurd, and yet, we do not notice it. Simply amazing when u later reflect on these kind of thoughts.

Not neccessarily WILD causes it, cos when u’re half asleep in the bus, it happens too. The key I think would be when u’re half asleep.

[color=darkblue]The subconscious is just a big bag of tangled thoughts, unpredictable in nature and illogical in outlook.

It is the data your brain didn’t have time to make sense of yet. I.e. it is still in its raw form.

Every little thing you may have picked up from the day is there, waiting to be turned into meaning or memory…[/color]

Wow, that’s poetic. :smile:
I don’t think it can be said much better.

Hm… weird things in head while falling asleep…

I was wondering how does fabric of comics look. So my idea was like they use genetic to make a lot of identical people, then they takes them to roll press and puts them on paper.

I think I know what you are talking about. It occasionally happened to me when I used to doze in train, just as I was falling asleep the normal flow of thoughts became twisted, losing coherency and logic - it had very dream-like quality. I only realized this when conductor woke me up.

–NL