The First Steps to WILD (for all basic WILD related Q&A)

If there weren’t any bells actually ringing in WL, then it surely was some kind of HH. :happy:

It is easy to distinguish dream scenes and HI from just visualizing. Dream scenes are colored and feel very real (which can be startling), while visualizing practically cannot be mistaken for a real object/scene.

Sorry, I can’t help you with that. I haven’t mastered WILD yet myself. As a rule of thumb, if anything keeps you awake too much, don’t do it. :wink:

It seems I am too tired in the morning and too awake at night. :eh:

I think chances are better in the morning though, because a) the sleep cycle is in the correct state b) you have to fall asleep to have lucid dreams anyway. :content: I don’t really try WILD at night anymore. It works more as a form of MILD.

cool thanx guys this should really help with my WILD attempts. I think I am getting close thanx to you guys’ help. :content:

Ok i’ve heard that MILD + WBTB is best for “newbies” but when i do MILD+WBTB my mom and dad get pissed off when my alarm goes off at 3 am.And Plain MILD I fall right back asleep when i wake up before 7:00 (school time).So i figured WILD would be good so i think ill try that but they say not to for noobs.

P.S should i try Counting WILD, or HI WILD ?

Hi… I’m new to all this and I want to start LDing by using WILD. (I can’t do anything else) Ok so I know the basics like how to focus, but what should I feel when I’m transferring to a dream state while using WILD?

I am not sure why people say WILD is not for newbies. The only good reason I see is that a lot of failed WILD attempts may harm your motivation (or, in the worst case, your sleep cycle, if you try too hard).
But other than that, why not try WILD? If you never try WILD, you might be a natural WILDer and never know it. :mrgreen:

@Hotrootsoup:
You can also try MILD without WBTB (when first going to sleep).

Or just tell your parents you are so eager to get to school, you just have to wake up at 3 am. :tongue:

Or focus your attempts on the weekends or holidays when you can sleep late. This also increases your chances because you might hop from one LD into the next.

About counting, you will have to see if you can fall asleep with counting or if it keeps you awake too much.

@Aquarys:
Hm, why can’t you do MILD?

What should you feel? Well, there is nothing you “should” feel. It depends on what you feel, actually. :wink:
In any case, don’t pay too much attention to it. You may feel strange things and then jolt awake because you are surprised. You have to find out about strange experiences which might occur to you so you can be prepared and ignore them. It doesn’t mean everyone else experiences the same things while falling asleep.
But you will definitely know when you enter a dream state. :smile:

I have a problem with WILD. I never get Hypnagogic imagery to appear. Anything I have to do?

Well you got to give more info than that. How long did you spend on WILD? What stage of sleep do you think you got to(you can read about it on The Guide)? stuff like that.

Barrel roll - I’d be willing to bet you get hypnagogic imagery to appear. Try this: close your eyes and tell me what you see, it probably won’t be sheer black but rather colors or specks etc. That is hypnagogic imagery and as you WILD it may gradually turn into hypnagogic hallucinations and then into a dream scene which you can enter.

One key is to be passive, don’t get impatient or try to force anything to happen. Lay back, relax and observe what you see as if it where a movie. Your mind should be relatively blank and free of thought, that is, don’t analyze what you see just passively note it.

If none of this works try another method of WILD that is not based on HI.

I have recently been attempting WILD with WBTB, but have been having some trouble with it. When I wake up, I usually read for a bit or do homework (usually math). Then I lie down and try to relax, using the progressive muscle relaxation technique (where one flexes his/her muscles one by one. I start at my feet and work towards my head). Then I either listen to relaxing music or just lie there, focusing on breathing and counting. However, I usually don’t fall asleep or see HI after quite a while and just end up getting bored. Any advice on what to do to actually fall “asleep?”

Also, sometimes I have what feel like vibrations, but don’t experience HI. What are these?

Vrathal, The vibrations are probably somatic HH. If you search for “vibrations”, you will find lots of posts talking about them, and using them to enter an LD, or OOBE.

Barrel roll, not everyone gets HI. Just about everyone does, but not everyone. It is also very different from person to person. Some people just get geometric patterns, others have HI that looks like a movie. Just about everything in between can also be HI.
HI is also not necessary for WILD to work. I do get HI, but can not use it to enter an LD. I just have to ignore it and keep relaxing.
don

When daydreaming myself to sleep, my “visualization” (as you might call them) gets erratic further as it goes… as visual artifacts, floating objects, and other visual discrepancies appear that is not willful or part of the visualization I am creating.

Is the above part of HI/HH ?

It could be, if you are drifting off to sleep. :smile:
It could also be just drifting off in your mind.
HI is Hypnagogic Imagery, Hypnagogic means that it is occurring during the transition to sleep. If it occurs at other times, then it is not Hypnagogic.
HH is Hypnagogic Hallucinations, that includes HI, but can also be sounds, feelings, tastes or body movements.
don

When i WILD i focus on the HI in a relaxed manner and let it flow until i have a false awakening. The Hallucinations stop and it feels like you were just laying in bed. i got up and went to the digital clock and it was incoherent. I then had another false awakening where i was laying at the side of the bed(either floating or contorted) and i kept trying to get up but i was anchored by what seemed to be a second body, which sounds like OOBE. however i still think it was just a dream.

Oh, I see those colours, but I never thought they were HI. I’ll keep trying. My dream recall has gotten great recently for some reason ever since I’ve read the site. I had a night where I did the WILD where when you wake up and don’t move. I just saw a flash and went into a dream, but it was low level, and not controlled but I was lucid.

Thanks for help

I seem to be having trouble with my WILD technique. I can get my body, from the neck down, to go numb, but I can’t seem to get my head to do the same. Does this usually happen to beginners, or does anyone have any tips on how to prevet this?

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they get a lot less sleep when trying to do WILD without using an alarm clock? I keep on being brought back to my senses at really random times, like I’ve gotten numb and the HI are getting really intense and then everything goes black and I start to have a dream but I feel like I’m waking up. Is it a false awakening or am I actually dreaming? I tried to do a couple reality checks but I think that if I was dreaming, the checks woke me up for sure.

@dolce:
Do you mean when trying to WILD during the night?
Something like you describe happened to me once… I somehow developed an awareness for onset of HI and it caused me to jolt awake everytime HI appeared. :eek: No way to fall asleep like this, so it kept me half-awake for hours.
I thought “great, now I’ve lost the ability to fall asleep” :eh:
Of course, I had not lost it. It reappeared when I was getting tired enough and stopped thinking of trying to WILD. :smile:

Anyway, it was one of the reasons I decided to take it easy with WILD attempts immediately after going to sleep… The other reason being that it is a lot easier to practice in the morning with WBTB. After all, if you cannot fall asleep anymore after WILD practice in the morning, you can just get up and start your work of the day. :cool:

Ya, If you try for too long and don’t get anywhere, It is a waste if night time and you end up really sleepy in the morning. That happened to me and now I decided to take a break and only try for like an hour max when I do try it.

I can’t get anywhere past the numbness part… I mean I’m relaxed and all. :wallhit:

@FireKirby:
Are you maybe just staying awake? :eh:

WILD or not, your body has to fall asleep for dreams to occur. If your technique keeps you awake too much, try something else.