First Steps to MILD (for all basic MILD related Q&A)

BTW, I guess that when Beersheba said about writing dream, getting up, etc., he meant MILD after WBTB. It’d more propable because he said about dreading DJ. You can do like that, then MILD supported by WBTB will give bigger chanse of having LD :yes:

And sapmangat was right… do MILD like works for you :tongue:

we’ll there’s one important thing i keep in mind; i read it in EWLD today (and overlooked it in the past).

But LaBerge claims autosuggestion en MILD differ in the following way: If you put much intentional effort (try hard) in MILD the outcome is probably positive because prospective memory thrives on motivation; but if you put much intentional effort in autosuggestion the outcome will likely be negative:

The argumentations for this are somewhat like this:
If you put too much intentional effort in your auto suggestion, in other words, if you really expect to LD tonight, and you fail, you’ll get a negative association with autosuggestion (‘it won’t work anyway’); you wont truly believe it works anymore.

whereas with MILD intentional effort is a good thing; the more you really plan to recognise the dream; the more motivation you have and the better your prospective memory does his job.

I thought I’d share this with you because “trying too hard” is also sometimes a problem; and the advice is often too let it alone a few days or weeks…

“You can perhaps try to wake up without an alarm clock by using autosuggestion.”

What’s auto suggestion?

auto suggestion is telling yourself you will wake up and your subconscious obeys.

(just like you can tell yourself you will know you are dreaming etc)

ok, I was originally going to try WILD, but while convincing myself that I was just asleep in my bed and that the old hag wasn’t real, in my dreams I would notice I wasn’t in my bed and do a RC, so MILD seems to be what my subconcious likes to do.

Auto-suggestion has been failing for me for a whole week… so I’ll try this method next :plotting:

I’m only three days into this, and my DR isn’t well. Can you practice DR and MILD at the same time, or do I have to start with DR ? If you can, how? :confused:

You can start trying to get your Dream Recall better while trying MILD at the same time.

There is a topic about remembering dreams here. Some forms of trying to get your dream recall better has a lot in common with MILD. Since MILD is a form of autosuggestion and autosuggestion can be used to remember your dreams. (tell yourself that you are dreaming)

When using MILD, you could also adjust the mantra to what you want. For example you can say “In my dream I will realise that I’m dreaming and I will remember this dream” instead of “In my dream I will realise that I’m dreaming”. You don’t have to use these, but I hope you got the point.

Ok, thanks Sandra!

I think too often MILD is confused with autosuggestion.

Autosuggestion is one dimensional - you repeat to yourself a phrase such as “tonight I will have a lucid dream”.

MILD is multidimensional it includes:
dream recall
identifying dreams signs
prospective memory - the next time X happens
visualization
intent
focus

The description of the technique in ETWOLD is the best instruction I have read.

When I am lazy I do use autosuggestion. But majority of my LDs result from MILD. :smile:

Does anyone here do a MILD right before they go to sleep…i mean like at your regular bedtime. Would it work if u perform MILD at your regular bet time cuz i hate waking up in the middle of the night and try a technique because im just to tired to focus on the technique. So plz answer my question because i wanna perform MILD tonight! Thanx! :smile:

Yes that’s possible :slight_smile: But often it is more effective if you do it in the middle of the night, but it can give a good result when you try it at regular bedtime too. :content:

thanx Sandra! :smile: i will give it a try tonight!

ld411, yes, I suppose you could.
Just picture yourself getting lucid in a dream you had the night before. (having good dream recall works great if your doing this type of mild)

yea thats wat i was thinking Foley. Thanx!

I’m kinda confused about MILD. I tried doing it once, but all it led to was a very long, very weird, very vivid ND. I’m not sure how to do it. I did the three steps (remember, set your intent, visualize), but I had trouble staying focused. I found my thoughts straying and I found it difficult to visualize being lucid. I also wasn’t sure which I should do more: repeating “I will realize I’m dreaming” over and over again in my head, or visualizing. Can someone explain what I did wrong?

i tried MILD about 5 nights in a row and it still didnt work! And most ppl say that MILD works like after the 2nd night! plz help me out!

Just give it some time. Stressing over it will only lessen your chances of obtaining lucidity. You may also want to try considering moving on to other techniques if after a while you’re still lucidless. You could MILD while trying to visualize something (essentially a VILD). An example:

Go to sleep and repeat “The next time I dream, I will realize I’m dreaming”. After repeating it about 5 times, start to picture yourself flying a mile high in the sky with the earth and clouds zooming by you. Keep repeating while doing this. Try to induce senses, like feeling the wind blowing on you, or smelling fresh air. Keep repeating and visualizing until you drift away, or if you can’t sleep while doing those tasks, simply stop doing them after ten minutes or so and go to sleep with a faint intention of becoming lucid.

Try it out :smile:

thanx i will try it out :smile:

Yup, especially WBTB+VILD works good.