2012 the end.

Actually I would worry about the comets more than the asteroids. There are billions of comets shooting all over our little piece of known space(most of them do not posess any linear path, especially not an orbit around our sun) , these chunks of ice are travelling with enough velocity and mass to easily destroy earth. Now the asteroids are given more publicity, but in reality the asteroids(in the belt) are spread so far apart that you could fly right through the thickest concentration of them and not hope to come within tens of thousands of miles of one.

On the other hand I absolutely agree with your opinion that the world won’t end in 2012. I’ve always believed that prophecies and scheduled end-of-the-world scenarios are a bunch of bull, and I can’t see how this is any different. From a scientific standpoint a calendar is merely a device synchronized with a repeating naturally occuring event in order to keep track of elapsed time(which is in itself completely relevent). So I would have to say that any theory that claims that this calendar is some kind of doomsday countdown, doesn’t have any scientific grounds to support it. Now I’ve always kept an open mind…but you shouldn’t keep such an open mind that you can see daylight on the other side(if you catch my drift…). Just my .02. :shrug:

you know, it odd you should say that. Acording to sone weird thing I hear about 2 years ago, some planet’s moon will eventually colide with the earth and whipe out two thirds of life. it is funny you saw a giant hand blocking it, sounds alot like gods hand. I’ll try to look into the future next time I LD.

I wouldn’t worry about any comets or any other celestrial bodies hitting into us any time soon - if it were destined to wipe out life by 2012, we’d already know about it. Not by psychic powers or anything like that - we’d just see it in our telescopes already :wink:.

I mean, we can see stars countless lightyears away. Any celestrial body large enough to wipe out life on Earth, we’d see coming many many many years in advance. So, that’s one weight off your mind :wink:.

I don’t think life on Earth will be wiped out. Well, not until Earth itself, is destroyed/scorched raw by the sun. Life has this amazing ability to evolve and come back from countless different setbacks, and fitting in perfectly with the new conditions. You shouldn’t underestimate it.

For God’s sake… Why are there 7 different threads about this?

Fact is: Maya’s say something big stuff is gonna happen on 2012, whether you take them serious or not is completely up to you since there is no actual proof to either back up it happening or not (apart from the fact that we’ve already lived through several of these sorts of days significant to other religions).

To be quite honest, I’m not too worried. After all, the world ended seven years ago, and I’m still alive :smile:.

Yeah, like cosmic powers would take notice of a slightly significant number in the gregorian calendar… Pfffft…

Did you know that the Doomsday Clock is currently set at five minutes to midnight?

Oh hell yae… There is so much going on right now, I can feel it, I dont know what it is, but Im telling you Im scared, and excited at the same time. Life is a trip. What do we do? I know the object of the game of life, is to expirance this amazing event without fear. Its like weve got to stay balanced. Dont drop of into hell, go into heaven without fear. The messages are out, Bible prophecy are coming true. September 11th. I dont know how to explaine my spiritual growth, but I think every thing will definatly be great. Dont you? Allso I dont think you can go wrong if you practice dreams, and LDs. This planet enlighnment only happens every 2600 years, that is very rare. Ive had dreams, about the end of time. I had a dream that I was standing out side of a Wendys resteraunt, and the begin blowing really hard, and it was braking up everything into sand, it was sand blasting everyone. I got to stop talking about this, or Ill want shut up, thats just how excited, I am about what is happaning in our lives.

I want proof that the end of the world will happen in the year 2012. I’m not outright denying it, but I’m saying with how long the world as we know it has been in existence, I believe it can survive another five years by inductive reasoning.

I’ll entertain the idea, but I won’t believe it until someone provides me an expert telling me why.

Ive wondored if it might be a conspiracy? I could say something about this, but its pretty scary.

Actually I’d still worry :tongue: , chances are we wouldn’t know about any comets threatening the earth until we felt the ground shake beneath our feet and a bright light appeared in the distance(assuming you weren’t in the blast radius or along the coast). Sure we can see lightyears into space, but what we can see is emitting light. Comets don’t become visible until they are close enough to the sun that evaporation causes a gas/debris tail to emerge(scattering sunlight to become visible) and solar radiation has ionized the plasma tail(like a big flourescent bulb). By that time it’s already at your doorstep(closer than jupiter if I remember), shortly thereafter…Poof. Speaking of which, jupiter will probably be the reason for a collision with earth, anything that passes close enough to it’s gravitational field without being captured is given a gravity assist, sending it hurling like a bullet into an orbit that possibly intersects with earth’s. Stupid jupiter. :razz:

Anyways, most comets are discovered after the first time they pass through the planetary neighborhood, then we catalogue it and predict it’s path. As if it weren’t already hard enough to spot them, they only have to be a few miles wide to cause a global catastrophe, 5 or more miles and it’s game over for earth.

Bleh, what a morbid topic(btw, sorry for the lecture, bad habit)… :silent:

The last time a comet hit earth and actually caused any significant global reaction was 65 million years ago, considering the frequency of these things we’ll probably be fine for at least a few million years.

65 million years? Life is like a split secound compared to how long the universe has been here. Not that Im really afraide, but If something big does happen, I agree. This is a morbid topic. Its everywhere. Im just wondering how the media will respond to it. Do you think it would get alot of news covrage as it gets closer to December 21, 2012? Or will the weather man just mention to it as a eclispe, and continue with the weather, as it were no big deal?

Well, I’m not sure what your expectancy of the human race is but I quite honestly don’t think they’ll last for eternity (ofcourse, there is a certain chance if we can create energy out of the void via some aplication of quantum mechanics, (since this is one of the more likely ways to get infinite energy)).
Given about 50-100 years I think we’ll manage to make a bomb big enough to blow up any dangerous comet, asteroid or otherwise volatile cosmic debree, I think we should be more concerned about humans wiping us out than mother nature.

I think 2012 will be a great year for mankind…

I personally think arfter years of studying jungian views on time and consciousness ; terrence Mckenna , that it will be a time of rebirth for humanity…

also promnient scholars such as John Mayor Jenkins and Calleman reiterate this view.However this new awakening just like a kudalini awakening or ego - death will only occur arfter great catostraphes.

Well ,just look at the current mentality of people , or the authotity figures many people are subsurvise to ( which in my mind in the greatest crime) not thinking for yourself , the lack of femininity in the world , and thus born out of that in the sadism , pathological violence and destroying the envirioment

Please don’t tell me your talking about Timewave Zero, because it proves nothing and is based on nothing.
Nowhere does it say that 2012 will even be the ending YEAR, that’s all arbitrary rules he made up for it to work, god, he claims he got the information from extraterrestrials…

Inquisitor Bob,

It strikes me as somewhat unfortunate that you stick wholeheartedly to the western paradigm of scientific-empiricist perception and analysis to approach phenomena/noumena that are likely beyond the scope of the western imagination. Terrence McKenna’s Timewave Zero is an interesting application of intuitive knowledge, and if you had read McKenna, you would understand that his use of “extraterrestrials” does not necessarily mean individuals from a distant star system.

This is a lucid dreaming forum. Why are you here if you simply want to attempt debunk every optimistic foray into the possibilities of existence with materialistic no-destination empiricist arguments?

Or is that simply it, does that give you a feeling of power, or do you really believe in nothing beyond the infinite splitting of physical building blocks.

Remember your science is another set of dogmas - it says very little about the nature of reality - all it is a thorough examination of the surface existence of physical phenomena. Unless science makes a step away from its inherently materialistic dogmatic stance - it will never discover anything about the true nature of reality.

Now, I’m sure you’ll want to misconstrue what I said - so I’ll leave it with this… I am not against science, I am not against technology, both of have provided humanity with substantial comforts and progressions. However, as you yourself have mentioned, they are often used for tremendously unfortunate and dangerous reasons. Our society’s overwhelming dependence on empirical evidence (while certainly important in many arenas of physical existence) will not help us in discovering the future of human evolution. Consciousness is not reducible to the shivering of atomic structures.

:eh:

Feel better?
:tongue:

Personally, I won’t waste too much time worrying about what may or may not happen in 2012, I have enough trouble worrying about what I’m going to cook for dinner tonight.

Meh at least I managed to find this forum before the world’s end =P hehe, though I don’t think we’ll all go kersploosh under a giant orbital Yak cannon juuuussst yet. Not that soon O_o’ I’d hope lololol though it would be interesting to see some giant mass of brown fur falling towards the earth and then the very ground beneath me tossing me into the air before a flying car smashes me to a pulp in mid-air. Yes… interesting… it would be fantabulous if I could have some marshmallows right now. That last bit was off-subject.
But yeah :slight_smile: Giant Yak of Death killing us all on 2012? Greatest laugh I’ll have before I die via airborne-car-smoosh-of-flying-automotive-death!!

Well I guess the main point I was trying to make is: Hope we don’t all die so soon =P hehe