EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 131
The Spirit of Giving XIV

-=~..~=-TiMe YoUr LuCiD DrEaM-=~..~=-

Author  Message 
Dream Dragon
That's Me ~~~~
Dream Deity
Dream Dragon has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Approx 30+

-=~..~=-TiMe YoUr LuCiD DrEaM-=~..~=-
PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

Is anyone willing to be a guinea pig for me to test how long Lucid Dreams really are? The next time you enter a Lucid Dream summon a watch that beeps every minute or so. Count the beeps and when you wake up post it here. That's only one way to (try to) measure time during a Dream.

*I will give you a cookie if you try it and report back ^^

Actually I probably won't be able to give you anything... just try anyways hehe

sephirothviipsx
Sephirothviipsx
Lucid Initiate

I want a cookie grin2 Lol, I will try to summon a watch and count time the next time I have an LD.

Dream Dragon
That's Me ~~~~
Dream Deity
Dream Dragon has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Approx 30+

~Awesome!~

AnyoNe ElSE?

Redifin
One Strange Dreamer
Dream Deity
LD count: 33

Haven't been in a LD for 3 months, but next time I get one I'll do this.

Current LD goal(s): I want to get better DR and have LDs again..it's been so long!
Indianinks
Serendipity
Lucid Initiate

Hmm I like the idea a lot. However, this would mean we would have to have an accurate sense of what a minute is. BenDrummin has offered ways to ensure that our brains can properly measure a minute, you should try to get him on this as well.
I'll try it the next time I'm lucid smile

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

Even if our brain CAN measure a minute, wich I'm sure it can, It doesn't mean the watch will beep at that interval. It's a very uncertain method, much like summoning a watch to just look at the time. It makes more sense to have a IRL signal that indicates a minutes passing. Maybe something like a modified nova dreamer or something.

Duck
Retired from LDing
Dream Deity
LD count: >200

I think minute is too big amount of time. Some people tried to create a device that counts down time to wakeup. Most of the times it was random. One look says 20 minutes, next one 20 seconds. Time is not stable in dream. Even if dream lasts 30 seconds, it can feel like a hour. Estimating a minute can be too hard. There are some interesting stuff from lucidity.com
|
V
Lucidity.com wrote:
(...) While making the above claim, Hobson et al. incorrectly attribute to me the false statement that "the dreamer can only gain lucidity with its concomitant control of dream events for a few seconds (LaBerge 1990)." [sic.] In fact, lucid dreams as verified in the laboratory by eye-movement signalling last up to 50 minutes in length, with the average being about 2 minutes (LaBerge 1990). The relatively low average is partially due to the fact that subjects were carrying out short experiments and wanted to awaken with full recall. At the onset of lucid dreams there is an increased tendency to awaken, probably due to the fact that lucid dreamers are thinking at that point, which withdraws attention from the dream, causing awakening (LaBerge 1985).

The eye-movement signalling methodology mentioned above forms the basis for a powerful approach to dream research: Lucid dreamers can remember pre-sleep instructions to carry out experiments marking the exact time of particular dream events with eye movement signals, allowing precise correlations between the dreamer's subjective reports and recorded physiology, and enabling the methodical testing of hypotheses. We have used this strategy in a series of studies demonstrating a higher degree of isomorphism between dreamed actions and physiological responses than had been found previously using less effective methodologies. For example, we found that time intervals estimated in lucid dreams are very close to actual clock time (see Fig. 2); that dreamed breathing corresponds to actual respiration (Fig. 3); that dreamed movements result in corresponding patterns of muscle twitching (Fig. 4); and that dreamed sexual activity is associated with physiological responses very similar to those that accompany actual sexual activity (see LaBerge 1985, 1990 for details).

Figure 2. Dream time estimations. We have straightforwardly approached the problem of dream time by asking subjects to estimate ten second intervals (by counting, "one thousand and one, one thousand and two, etc.") during their lucid dreams. Signals marking the beginning and end of the subjective intervals allowed comparison with objective time. In all cases, time estimates during the lucid dreams were very close to the actual time between signals (LaBerge, 1980a, 1985).

Figure 3. Voluntary control of respiration during lucid dreaming. LaBerge and Dement (1982) recorded three lucid dreamers who were asked to either breathe rapidly or to hold their breath (in their lucid dreams), marking the interval of altered respiration with eye movement signals as shown in the figure. The subjects reported successfully carrying out the agreed-upon tasks a total of nine times, and in every case, a judge was able to correctly predict on the basis of the polygraph recordings which of the two patterns had been executed (binomial test, p < .002).

Figure 4. Morse code communication from the lucid dream. Evidence of voluntary control of other muscle groups during REM was found by LaBerge, Nagel, Dement, and Zarcone (1981) while testing a variety of lucidity signals. We observed that a sequence of left and right dream-fist clenches resulted in a corresponding sequence of left and right forearm twitches as measured by EMG. Here the subject sends a Morse code signal with left and right fist clenches corresponding to dots and dashes, respectively. Hence the message translates as "SL" (... .-..), the subject's initials. Note that the amplitude of the twitches bore an unreliable relationship to the subjective intensity of the dreamed action. Because all skeletal muscle groups except those that govern eye-movements and breathing are profoundly inhibited during REM sleep, it is to be expected that most muscular responses to dreamed movements will be feeble. Nonetheless, these responses faithfully reflect the motor patterns of the original dream.(...)

Last edited by Duck on Fri 02 Feb, 2007; edited 1 time in total
Ansie
Little Dreamer
Dream Deity
Ansie has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

My last LD was in the morning (after my alarm told me to wake up). In my dream I realised that i should wake up I woke up +/- 20 min after falling to sleep again. It felt like +/- 10 min. But I probably forgot some moments so that's not so weird.

Spartan76092
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2007  Reply with quote

My friend fell asleep in class in 5 minutes and he said it felt like 20 minutes. neutral whatsthat

Raethin24
J. D. Dyer
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007  Reply with quote

I went to sleep in a car and when I was woken up it felt like I had been in there all day but only around ten minutes had passed.

Spartan76092
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007  Reply with quote

Thats awesome :D

CrazyStickFigure
Why read these?
Somniologist

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007  Reply with quote

Once, I was dozing off in class (but not quite asleep) and one of my friends nudged me after my eyes involuntarily fell closed and asked, "Did you get all that or should I write you a page?". It only felt like 2 or 3 seconds, but when I looked at the clock, it was about 7 minutes. I need more sleep. (Maybe that's why I have so many dryspells?)

print