The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic Part III

I wanted to know if you actually can die do to the feeling of not being able to breath? Can you die from the old hag? Also, when you’re in sleep paralysis are you really not breathing, or does it just feel that way and you’re actually breathing normally?

Everytime we sleep our body undergoes sleep paralysis without our realising it. So it is completely normal, natural and not dangerous. You do breathe during it but your body takes over this function so it feels odd.

What’s the old hag?

there is a good description on the lucid crossroads site lucidcrossroads.co.uk/guide.htm

we also have a big topic for SP and old hag in this stuff dreams are made of forum (this topic will probably be moved into the big topic at some point).

Can you make the old hag go away instead of them being there a whole 8-10 min as soon as they appear…?

Just close your eyes and you should go back to sleep or wake up

I haven’t had SP in a long time(4 years), but I thought you wouldn’t be able to move, none the less be able to close your eyes…

Well I was talking about the old hag

Oh, okay I get it. :3

:smile: I’ve never had SP, I mean, we do when we sleep but I haven’t been “awake” to feel it once, never the old hag either.

Feel lucky, Smiffy!

Does the old hag only show up when you sleep on your back? (I sleep on my side)

I think the old hag can show up no matter how you sleep, but that’s just what I think.

Stop talking about the Old Hag, it’s not necessary that she comes when you SP. It only comes during a high level of SP, I never saw it and yet I often do SP that last about 1 minute.

It’s possible to have SP with any position ( side, back, and stomach ).

moved from beyond dreaming to the sticky SP and Old hag topic :moogle:

If you think hallucinating scary things in sleep paralysis is bad, wait till you hear what happened to me. I have never woken up in sleep paralysis in all of my life until these last couple of weeks. It’s happened to me twice so far. I hate the feeling of not being able to move. Know what else I hate? Being tickled.

Do you know how people that are being tickled spas out and kick and swing? Imagine not being able to do that, no way to fight that feeling off.

During the SP, I felt a finger rubbing up and down the bottom of my foot and I couldn’t do anything to stop that tickle feeling. I don’t even know what to call that feeling. What I felt was not pain, but something even more uncomfortable. Because I couldn’t struggle, if felt like that tickle feeling radiated through my whole body, and all I could think about is when would it stop. I’m estimating that it only lasted about 6 seconds, but it was the longest 6 seconds I’ve ever had to go through.

I would have much rather hallucinated a knife going through my foot. :sad:

Ouch… gee I never heard of that before. That’s some hallucination! I’ve only ever heard my dad calling me -which freaked me out, and as far as SP goes i’ve only have partial SP in my arm.

Perhaps your fear of being tickled came into your hallucination - it really does pay to have a positive outlook on things, even when they are bad because then your mind won’t be as likely to trick itself with those bad thoughts.

Yeah, it happens to me too.
Whenever I experience a SP, I’m being tickled in my armpits, the sensation is unbearable. The tickling sensation comes from the muscles which are paralyzed, nothing to worry about.
In some cases of SP, one could be rapped, it depends on the personnality of everyone.
In my case, I levitate above my bed for a few seconds then my “spirit” go down again into my body.
And when I try to calm down, the same experience happens again.
With time, I start to appreciate that.

Strange… i’d like to experience SP to see what would happen to me hehe. Although I don’t think you can induce SP, or can you?

Nope you can’t, it happens very irregularly.
But it can happen if you eat energetic food just before sleeping. Or if you’re in a period of BIG stress.
In my case, whenever I become aware I’m dreaming, I fall immediately into SP. It’s pretty discouraging in that I wanna LD !!

I think I managed to induce SP. I was trying to WILD and my arms and legs went numb and I couldn’t move them. I did have a brief point where I had an itch but that was before I was in SP and I managed to ignore it, soon after that the area went numb anyway.

Never had an OBE or SP… but have had Old hag before…