Windows... VISTA!

No such a problem either.

well then LINUX IS THE WAY TO GO, FOLKS!

thanks for the info Bruno.

and also, I remember what it was that you supposedly weren’t able to use with Linux - it was drivers!

I’d like to get away from Windows as soon as I can. XP has caused me so many problems in the past, and I’m pretty tired of it. Vista - still too new. My fried informed me that it’s pretty slow, that it sucks up memory like there’s no tomorrow, and it’s overall pretty buggy. (Not to mention Internet Explorer. I only use it at school, and… :nuu:). Vista is pretty pretty, however.

Linux sounds nice, but I guess it’s a little too foreign. If there weren’t Macs, I’d probably be using Linux.

Many, many of my peers use Macs. I like to spend a lot of time in the Apple Store. I’m not a movie-making sort of guy, either. They’re very beautiful. And they run great. Like others have said: people just don’t make bugs for Macs because the majority of computer users use Windows.

I found this website, xvsxp.com , that compares Windows XP and Mac OSX. They really break every attribute down, definitely a good site for anyone that is considering getting Mac.

Anyway, hopefully, my next computer will be a MacBook Pro.

Oh, and one more thing: I love this page. It contains lots of screenshots of users’ macs. Muy bonito… :sigh:

If I get a new PC, which I will have to someday, it’s gonna be a Linux. It saves you a whole lot of money and is way better than windows.

WAIT A SEC… windows is crap. Linux is great. WE PAY FOR WINDOWS. Linux is free.

What the hell is going on here?!

Vista has everything mucked up. They shouldn’t be tyring to make it look flashy, they should make it FAST!! Bill Gates is an idiot. Well, whoever makes the windows crap.

Truthfully, I haven’t had any problems with Vista.
IE sucks, so I use Opera instead. And I can’t seem to find any compatibility issues with the programs I’m running.
Really just a pretty WinXP with annoying warning messages every time you click something.

Yeah, I vote for Vista to be “suxxorz” right now. It’ll be at least a year or two before it becomes somewhat worth it. Until then, no point in wasting money on an overpriced, useless piece of crap. (BTW, this isn’t a biased opinion…not at all… :tongue: )

Linux is a nice alternative Bruno :content: and has definatley saved me more then a few times. When my windows got corrupted (which happens quite a lot sadly) I was able to boot in Linux and grab all my data again. The live cd’s are very useful, id recommend anyone who wants to try Linux to download a Ubuntu live cd :wink:

Though Linux can be slightly not user friendly if your trying to get it to do things not familiar to it. Still it’s a nice system.

On the topic of vista, I think I’ll wait until winter before I play around with it. It needs more driver support firstly, not to mention it looks like a resource hog…

Linux also has drivers, Liam. :yes: But now you definitely have a good point, for, like I said before:

Configuring Linux can be indeed pretty troublesome at times, and the regular user is not supposed to know how to set up their printer, because drivers work in a weird baroque way.

They’re also very hard to set up in Windows, but your printer’s company, and your sound system’s etc. will usually have some software which does the job for you. Since the good souls didn’t seem to think about making a driver set up for Linux yet, you’ll need your nerdy friend to help you setting up the gear.

But that’s really not much of a problem, since I suppose everyone has at least one nerdy friend who already uses Linux; and those who don’t will be surprised at how gentle and nice the people at Ubuntu’s support chat room can be.

A concept of Microeconomics called “preferences.” Apparently, it’s known to only change in the long run.

I think they got it all wrong with Vista - they got their priorities mixed up.

but what about Ubuntu Linux? Isn’t that designed to be user-friendly, or does it still have the driver-configuring stuff? Oh well I like forums and stuff…

Maybe we should make a Linux thread…

If I may enlighten you my fellows. I give you Leopard apple.com/macosx/leopard/

My brother has a mac. I love them, they are really simple machines to use. A lot easier than Windows. My brothers big on design, and ease of usability, and he always talks about how much better macs are. After hearing the propaganda for ages, I tried it out, and it really is quite good. Although they are quite expensive, they are worth the money. Plus their price is dropping, so whatevs.

Vista is bloated eye-candy.
This 3D program-switching thing - who’s life is this really going to improve? The old Alt+Tab worked just fine.
And “ReadyBoost,” the thing that lets you use a flash drive as RAM - who needs that? If someone needs more memory, they can either invest in some real RAM or make a larger paging file. Using a thumb drive because it’s a bit faster than your HDD is ridiculous.
When this computer reaches the end of its lifetime, I’ll be faced with the decision of either switching to Vista or Linux. Linux it is.

The program switching thing…, yeah, that’s just sucking up resources (or something computery).

I actually thought tha RAM flash drive thing was quite a good idea though… although people wouldn’t need it if Vista wasn’t so memory-hogging!

What does Alt+Tab do? I’m gonna see… uhhhh

I’m probably gonna go Vista anyway, most peoples problems seem to be that it’s slow (but I have silly amounts of power in my pc) or that DUN DUN DUN it’s windows, evil, evil windows which seems to screw everyone over apart from me. I refuse to jump on the band wagon. I’ve always used windows and I’ve never once had a problem with it so I see no reason to change.

Also, macs mouses “suxxors” for gaming, and I am a game freak.

Live example:

Oh, and as for Mac mouses: they do suck, aggressively. (Lets pretend I didn’t just use a Brazilian slang in an English phrase, shall we? :grin:) Macs are awesome in the sense that they assume the regular user is as smart as a frog. It sucks for the very same reason—when you want to do something pro, you either buy expert software for gazillions of dollars, or learn seriously pro computer engineering concepts to deal with your overprotective environment.

I have to admit that the Mac mouse can be annoying for gaming but you can just drop about idk 20-25 to get a new mouse that will work.

Yes defiantly many helpful Linux forums out there… If you need help with a specific error you can use google too… (Personal Experience Here) If you search [Ubuntu “The Error Message Or thing causing the problem”] Including the quotes :wink: I’d be shocked if many articles explaining how to fix the problem didn’t come up. Even if they don’t just post in a Linux forum, many people there actually enjoy the challenge of solving problems…

I agree there is probably some background service that detects and configures that… You can do this in XP anyway! Although it has a pain-in-the-a*** tendency to use each page file one after another, great there windows… because using all page files at the same time wouldn’t improve performance or anything…

Heh I’m not anti-windows at all… It’s just I find Linux smoother and less crash prone. Also Windows gives dire warning that your computer might explode if you try to run something you downloaded from somewhere that hasn’t signed the file. In linux I have only ever had 1 dire warning when I was messing with the innards and nearly un-installed the kernel whistles but the warning made me laugh, “You will be hosing your system” lol, I got the message without feeling it was the end of the world.

I actually have a Dual-boot system (One that can start XP And Linux ) I get the benefits of playing games in windows and the smoothness of Linux [Once you get it set up] for day to day activities… I have 14 programs running on Linux right now and it is still useable… god only knows the state windows would be in under the same pressure. (They aren’t empty text files either… most are web-browser windows and have many tabs open in them too.)

BTW I don’t use Ubuntu and I have heard it is more user friendly than the Linux I use. So if what I have said has confused you don’t worry you really don’t need to do what I have done to get it working… :shy: actually I was a total Newbie to Linux about 5 weeks ago and I still managed to overcome driver problems with my Wireless Internet… Because my manufacturer decided Linux wasn’t worthy of drivers :grrr: Don’t panic if you get it installed and not everything works… there are many “do this then that” guides to fix the problem…

I been using using vista since it came out, and I’m loving it.

The sidebar is good for reality checks as you can write in things like the sticky notes :smile:

A friend told me Vista was very like:

‘Erase’

‘Are you really really sure you want to erase that!!!?’

But, I haven’t had any experience with it. I’ve heard tablets don’t work with it though, yet.

It’s true. Vista is like a big guilt trip…

“Did you honestly mean to click that?”

“Really?”

“Aren’t we being hasty here?”

“C’mon, don’t rush things, you still haven’t tried my spiffy new version of Solitaire!”

“Oh… I see… you’d rather run Photoshop than fiddle with all my new features… cries