Lucid Dreaming bad?

Fadem, you signature rocks!

I used to be afraid that if I consistently had lucid dreams then I would become crazy because I would have memories where I could not tell if they happened in the dream world or the real world. I’m pretty sure that it wont happen because dream memories just wont ever be the same as real memories.

Try to control an enraged bull with rabies. Definately harder than to control dreams.

lol. Personally, I think LDs would help me. :smile:

Good responses, guys. I pretty much reacted how you guys did when he said that.

Time, Taxes, Death. Just to name a few.

I didn’t hear the conversation, but perhaps your friend was referring to having conscious control of your mind. To be in control of oneself, as we fool ourselves to think that we are in waking life.
Then in normal dreams it would seem we are not in control.
Now his argument comes into place. It’s BAD to have control of your dreams. I’d like to know WHY.
From my own experience and in acordance with buddhism for instance, I think that being in control of yourself is good in every situation, even dreams. I suppose your friend might think that the function of dreams, whatever it may be, is compromised by conscious control of ones actions. Like consciousness itself is harmful.
Like I said, I disagree.

haha, that´s so funny :cool_laugh:

And if you´re having consistently lucid dreams you always know you´re dreaming so when you wake up you know what are real memories and what are dream memories…you know…

rofl Fadem said it all right there :tongue:

Sounds as if your friend is saying that out of sheer, unalloyed jealousy. Lucid dreaming isn’t dangerous. It is probably one of the least dangerous things you can do for fun, or one of the least dangerous things–period.

Everything is bad when done to an extreme.

It reminds me of the time I told a schoolmate about lucid dreaming. She said ‘but WHY would you absolutely want to control your dreams? Wouldn’t it be better to let them be?’ I replied ‘Why not?’

It’s definitely not for everyone, I think. Some people love to explore, some don’t. Even if you know (and tell them) they’re missing out on interesting stuff, don’t try to argue with them because it will get you nowhere. If they ever have a spontaneous LD and get intrigued enough, they’ll change their mind by themselves.

it’s nonsense, because a lot of the things that happen in your body(digestion, heartrate, temperature, etc etc() are uncontrollable

Heartrate is controllable.

Not really…

Yes it is, simple breathing excersises can do just that. Also, yogic monks can do that to a greater extent. [stopping, or near to stopping hearrate]

On another forum, someone said that it might be bad to control dreams because the randomness of them may be required for some unspecified purpose.
However, being lucid just means that I have the opportunity to take control of certain aspects of a dream. It doesn’t mean I have to. I still have some amazing NDs, I even feel they have become better and more vivid experiences, even while I am not lucid.
Then again, I simply do not become lucid so often that it would annoy me. If I became lucid in every dream, maybe it would get somehwat wearisome? :eh: I don’t really know. Right now I am still trying to stay in LDs as long as possible. :colgate:

Another person suggested that LDing is a sort of escapism from waking life, which I agree it is - to the extent other recreational activities are the same.
Maybe there is a risk that you could become addicted to LDing and not focus your energy on WL anymore. But then again, that still would be the choice of the individual. How can we say it is wrong?

I don’t think it would be bad for you. I heard someone once talk about being abled to LD since he was very young and now he can’t dream without being lucid. That’s the only problem I can see but I’m sure that he still doesn’t control every single aspect of his dreams like others here have already said.

And by the way I agree with nitroguy, Fadem your signature ROCKS.

Everything in moderation. That’s a good saying - you should trust it!

Yeah, and even someone wanted to excessively lucid dream, they wouldn’t be able to. There are many who are able to have lucid dreams almost every night, but none who have them EVERY night (some tell me they do, but I am always kind of doubtful of them.) For those who get annoyed by that fact, it may actually be a good thing. A safety function, so to speak, to make it so you always lucid dream in moderation, and don’t get addicted to it.

On the lines of getting addicted to dreaming/lucid dreaming, I heard of something called Escapism? Or something like that where you want to live in your sleep more than you do in waking life. A bit freaky.

Daydreaming - you have control over that, but symbols in them still have their own psychological significances if you care to recognize them.

In Lucid Dreaming, even WHEN I have control, the symbols still have significance (i.e.: color, smell, emotions) as I have looked into recent LDs and they match my current state of mind and conflicts/successes. I don’t believe lucid dreaming is damaging in any way…