How Long Does It Take For Me To Fall Asleep?

Hello :wave:

How can I find out how long it takes for me to fall asleep? When I wake up I obviously don’t remember when exactly I fell asleep. Nor can I approximate how long it took. When lying in bed I don’t even have a vague sense of time.
Sometimes I can tell that it took longer than usual but that’s all.

Is there a way to find out how fast I fall asleep?

Greetings
~ Computer ~

Hello!
Well-- Hmm :S
I think everybody just pretty much guesses how long it takes…
And I could only really think of two ways:
One day, take a glance at the clock right before you’re planning to try and sleep-- and try sitting up and checking the clock again once it feels like the fight amount of time (even if you can’t guess actual number-amount, maybe that’ll work!).

Or maybe, if you perhaps snore, or otherwise have cues of when you sleep (my friend snores loudly XD), you could have a friend who is sleeping over check for you-- from when you want to sleep, to when you actually do…

But mostly-- I think, people just guess X3 It wouldn’t really be a big deal after all, if you were off when you guessed when you feel asleep! XD~

Good luck with this! :3

~Tal

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don’t really have someone to check for me.
About the first method; when does sleep really start? At the hypnogogic state? Could I possibly attempt a WILD and abort it to check the clock when I reach the hypnogogic state or does a WILD attempt have influence on the natural falling-asleep-time?

Glad to have helped if any :3–

XD I think WILD keeps you up longer… Because of concentration and all that-- But… you’re still awake in the hypnogognic state :stuck_out_tongue: Pretty much, I think…
When you lose consciousness would probably be when you sleep.
I hope a big debate doesn’t start up over that, but that’s when I say you would. XD
So-- perhaps, instead of falling right to sleep, from the time you start to get drowsy, so right when you’re about to pass out, you could measure that :P~

Hope that helped! XD~

~Tal

That sounds really difficult but I’ll give it a shot tonight. :smile:

Hehe~ ^^ Good luck!
Why not try just laying awake there for the amount of time that feels right?~

I’m sure you’ll get it eventually!

~Tal

Once i started my stopwatch and lay there with my finger on the “stop” button, in such a position that i would fall on it as soon as i was too asleep and stop the stopwatch.

didnt work.

XD~ Aww, what happened? It seemed like a good idea…

Why not play a recording, audio book, etc. softly while falling asleep, and then look up the last thing you can remember hearing :cool: I have used that with mirc speech to find out when I fall asleep.

Try this: put something into your hand, and start your stopwatch, when you fall asleep, your hand will relax, and you will drop it and wake yourself up. When you wake up look at your stopwatch.

XD~ Try reading a few posts up…
Last Man Standing already tried that, and aparently, it didn’t work! XD
I wonder what happened…? O-o

its easier to drop something when half asleep than press a button.

I don’t really think that if you dropped it, it would make enough noise to wake you up-- and it might not stop the stopwatch either @___a… If it was loud enough to wake you up, then you’d still have to try and stop the stopwatch before it got too far away from the time–

Isn’t estimating an ok option for this sleep-time thing? Is it all out of curiousity now?

I tried to catch myself right when I was about to fall asleep. I didn’t work. :sad: I woke up the next morning. Apparently I missed the moment.

The idea of holding something sounds good, but wouldn’t it keep you awake longer than usual when lying in an unnatural position as you’d have to hold the thing over the edge of your bed to make it really drop when you relax?

What about holding your elbow on your stomach so your arm point up, then when you fall asleep your arm will drop and you will wake up.

Well, I cannot fall asleep when lying on my back.

The problem with all this is to actually be able to fall asleep I have to relax. :sad:

If you wrapped your stopwatch in some mechanism which would stop the stopwatch when you dropped it, then when you wook up, you could find out when you fell asleep. Say if you started the stopwatch at 11:00 and fell asleep at 11:48… well it took you 48 minutes.

But anyway, falling asleep is not a sudden thing, and so finding an accurate cut-off point would be pointless. Falling asleep involves simply differnt bodily systems acting less.

If you really wanted answers, you could measure your brain waves. Like youve got the equipment at home for that…

Yeah, if I had the equipment for brain wave recording. That would be cool! :smile: