The Dmt Theory

There is no doubt that melatonin and seroronin have a factor in lucidity and sleep paterns, but i have heard a theory that some scientists believe about the function of Dimethyltryptamine (a hallucinogenic chemical) in dreams. the theory is that DMT might be connected with visual dream phenomena, where brain DMT levels are periodically elevated to induce visual dreaming and possibly other natural states of mind. does any one know more about this theory or have any comments to make regarding this theory?!?

DMT is theoretically said to be released in the brain where your pineal gland is (third eye), and that is part of the reason why we have imagery.

It is said that the largest amount of DMT in your brain is released when dying, therefore “seeing” imagery. I.E. - Your life flash before your eyes.

Yes, I think there may be a relationship between DMT and dreams also because DMT is N,N-dimethyltryptamine and Melatonin is a tryptamine too (5-methoxy-N-acetyltryptamine) and we all know the important role Melatonin plays in dreams :smile:

no offense intended, but this argument has absolutely zero basis in scientific fact, and making a broad assumption that tryptamines as a whole equate to dreaming is foolish. dmt is associated with dreaming because of its effects on the body and mind, when it is present in your body, and in what concentrations.

erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/

i’ve had a number of dmt experiences, however, not having had a ‘brain-induced’ dmt trip (not counting dreams, anyway,) only chemically induced, i can’t really judge the difference between the two.

Neardeath-experiences are NOT by DMT, if your brain is dead, there is no way to actually hallucinate or remembering it, or actually see things you couldN#t see.
The DMT-Theory is one of the worst ones ever, all things get related to it, but no one is true.

Dreams don’t get triggered by DMT, you would still see things after you wake up.
Dreaming is just a transfer into mind

The thinga bout NDEs is that the brain is NOT dead, wich is why you can have the experience. They happen when there is too little blood in the brain. And you don’t have to be in mortal danger for them to occur.

Maybe DMT plays a part in it, I don’t know. I don’t think it has been proven.

You’re right that one would still see things when one wakes up if one were tripping on DMT. The thing is, sometimes people do. If it were the case that DMT causes dreams, it would probably be in a safe way. Evolution would make sure of that, save for the few who have some sort of anomaly in the system in wich it is part. I wouldn’t go around claiming it’s true but t’s concievable at least.

Dr. Rick Strassman wrote a book about his clinical research at the University of New Mexico on DMT. He concluded it is released when you are born, when you die, or when you have a near-death experience. I think he may have also said it is possible that it gets released spontaneously under extreme stresses (but I read it so long ago so I can’t remember). It’s called DMT the Spirit Molecule and it is an awesome read!

Not having done much research on DMT, I can’t really add anything to this. Instead, I want to ask Beanmaster what he means by “Dreaming is just a transfer into mind”.

Even a stone can do more then a dead brain.
If the brain is shut off/dead there is no place where your memories could go, since it is just a piece of worthless flesh.

Since actually blind people were able to see, it were not just hallucinations, you can’t describe things, if you don’t know how the world looks like, fact.

Since today no one could prove the DMT-theory, and i don’t think someone will.
Like a scientist said:
DMT doesn’t creates this space, it is just a door leading into

Three days ago, on my awakening, I saw a dream character standing by my bed (during 1 second or less).

That wasn’t DMT, you an’t lose DMT-hallucinations from 1 second to another, it was just your brain waking up from dreamstate

Okay, you confused me. What were you getting at?

Yes yes… Perhaps I expressed in a wrong way… I didn’t want to associate all the tryptamines with dreaming but wanted only to highlight the resemblance of the molecular structure between DMT and melatonin… even because I’ve read (but can’t show a scientific source) that maybe the production of endogenous DMT starts from melatonin. :wink: