Your Daily Senses (quick creative writing exercise)

From Friday 30th June

Touch: The morning sun’s heat on my arm, neck and face, resting like a heavy cloak against my skin.
Hearing: Lonely sound of the bathroom sink tap dripping tediously.
Sight: On my way to work I saw a chocolate brown puppy, lively and happy, (I like Staffordshire Bull Terriers, I think that’s what it was) walking fast with it’s chubby little legs. :aww:
Smell: New and fresh smell of just printed photos
Taste: Cold water when i was really thirsty.

Touch
My thighs feels sore from a workout yesterday, and I feel the heat of the blazing sun enter my room on this horribly hot summer day. Some cold wind gives me a bit of relief.

Sight
Nothing really worth nothing - perhaps I should use this sense more. I guess forgetting to wear glasses isn’t good.

Hearing
Loud fireworks, and lots of (not-so-pleasant)singing from a fair nearby.

Smell
The strong, sweet pleasant odor of raspberry syru.

Taste
Hot tea with no sugar, bitter but sweet in a weird way. Oh, and raspberry syrup again!.

Sunday

Touch: ice lolly melting fast, trickling down my fingers, cold and sticky
Hearing: slightly irritating, tiny little click the modem makes when it disconnects
Sight: clean, bright blue sky, completely still and cloudless - perfect
Smell: a mixture of sun and suntan lotion near the top of my arms
Taste: can’t think of anything for this one

Monday
touch - the smooth amethyst stone on a new keyring I bought
hearing - the sound of the knocker on the front door
sight - seeing the veins in my eyes during an eye sight test when the optician shone the light in my eyes for a long period
smell - someone else’s bag of chips from a chip shop!
taste - a refreshing drink of blackcurrant and apple juice when I got home tonight :yay:

-Sunday, July 16th-

Touch:

The refreshing feeling of swimming in a clear lake. Meanwhile, very cold springwater seeps from it’s depths; as a result, my feet feel freezing cold, while the rest of my body is warm.

Hearing:

Polish music from tapes and CDs during a car trip; it never fails to make me feel nostalgic.

Sight:

Sunlight sparkling off of the surface of a beautiful lake. Afterwards, a leech that has attached itself to my armpit, and later my leg.

Smell:

Bug spray. :roll:

Taste:

Altoids, Rollos, Iced tea, and a subway sandwich. :wink:

Well, It’s a year later and i’ve started doing these again. I’ve only been able to think of one or two each day so i’ll just post the few lines i’ve come up with over the last week.

Sight: Many blue shades burst through scattered clouds

Sound: Tyres spinning wearily through rain puddles

Touch: I’m wrapped in a blanket of sun rays

Sight: A white cloud that looks like the splash of a giant tidal wave frozen in time

Sound: Shrill screech of worn brakes

Pardon me, but I don’t feel like taking an artistic approach on my first post in this thread. Here we go. :wink:

Touch: I’M TOUCHING MY NINTENDO DS BECAUSE IT TOLD ME TO.
Hearing: I hear too much on a daily basis. What? You had sex with a stranger? DID NOT NEED TO HEAR THAT.
Sight: My eyes are being blinded by the flourescent lights of my computer screen! AUUUGHHHH!
Smell: I smell nothing, to be honest. My home, unlike every one else’s has no scent… Unless a cat has taken a crap recently.
Taste: I taste a sweet, bubbly pain sliding down my throat. I like to call it… Dr Pepper.

Touch: Accidentally made a small cut on my neck, didn’t really hurt(just a pricking feeling), nothing serious, it bled considerably though.

Hearing: Woken up by a bird outside my window at 10 am, happens often(like natures alarm clock), I rolled over and slept a bit more(I’m not a morning person).

Sight: Waiting in line to pay at the gas station, hmm…they have a good selection of coffee here, $1.29 for the small here(basically the same size as the grande @ starbucks, helluva lot cheaper, obviously), I’ve seen alot of people drinking this stuff. Maybe I’ll give it a try some morning…

Smell: Blood from my neck, haven’t smelled my own blood in a while, has a distinct metallic aroma…

Taste: Hot green tea, needs some sugar…there…perfect.

Touch: Reaching across and feeling Dotty’s soft fur as I stroke her to say hello in the morning.

Hearing: I heard children talking and bouncing a ball outside

Sight: One of the upward sloping paths on the way home … I always think :meh: as I approach them and think :yay: once I get to the top :grin:

Smell: The awful smell of hot chocolate muffins … funnily enough this and fresh warm doughnuts make me feel whereas I love the smell of liver and onions frying (I’m a vegetarian!) and the sweet smell of burning potatoes :help:

Taste: the first cup of coffee of the day … a day isn’t the same without one :content:

Touch: My own hands. I can’t remember anything about this. I’m not Salad Fingers or something.
Hearing: Bass. In a song. Quite great.
Sight: Grassy fields from atop. Piercing sunlight.
Smell: Air conditioning. Really, it’s almost…orgasmic! :crazy:
Taste: Chocolate. A snack at the university.

Touch: The wisp of a tiny gray feather.
Hearing: The song lyrics that are forever persistent in my mind.
Sight: The brilliant yellow of the butterfly’s wings as it glides lazily through the air.
Smell: The scent of burning rubber that is the psychological manifestation from a nauseous stomach ache.
Taste: The crisp bite of French Toast with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.

*This is a very cool little thread that lets you be creative, and reminds you to pay attention to your world as you live in it. All too often we forget about the now moment (the only thing we really have) and the small but meaningful things we experience through our senses. :smile:

Touch: A surprisingly crisp, fresh flower in the shop
Hearing: Distant, comforting sound from a train
Sight: An amazingly colourful sunset just when i left work
Smell: Yeast, when i opened a beer can
Taste: Strong chocolate milk when i was both thirsty and hungry at work!

It was interesting to read other people’s sentences, all so different :smile:

That’s a great name for a cat :grin: They act dotty sometimes. (You do have cats don’t you?)

Wow, I love that smell :content: and i also adore the smell of bleach which isnt a very popular one :tongue:

I live not too far from train tracks (They’re not really close but i can see them from my window). Most of the time i don’t notice the sound as it is quite faint, especially if there’s a tv on. When the house is quiet i sometimes listen to passing trains and find it comforting too. I’ll listen out for them tonight :smile:

I will hopefully have some more written by Thursday

Touch: The cold, hard keys of the piano like sophisticated pet rocks buzz through my fingers.

Hear: The incredibly catchy tune of “I’m Not Down”, by The Clash. Again, and again, and again, breaking the boring buzz of the computer.

Sight: My mom leaving for Atlanta through the crack of my bedroom door at 2 a.m (then the back of my eyelids).

Smell: New turkey, on a turkey sandwich.

Taste: The scalding hot broth of soup, stupidly eaten right off of the stove - now I can’t taste much at all.

Touch: It was a hot day today, the feeling of a cold 20oz. of sprite against my neck was soothing.

Hearing: That fizzing sound you hear when you are browning ground beef in a pan.

Sight: Damn vending machine, I didn’t want a sprite…

Smell: A clean fluffy towel warrants at least four extra seconds of drying your face after a hot shower.

Taste: A crunch bar during a ten minute break at college(I usually don’t eat vending machine ‘food’)…The pretzels would have been the obvious choice, but time wasn’t on my side. I paused to consider a healthier alternative, but ultimately the chocolately satisfaction and savory texture to be had from the crunch bar trumped the granola bars’ best efforts.

A couple from today, well yesterday really as it’s past midnight now.

Sight: Haze of rippled clouds making a path through the sun

Sound: Gentle rattle of metal seats while the bus rolls slowly along a smoother road

Time to revive this topic :smile:

Touch: The feel of the keyboard keys under my fingers as i type.
Hearing: Mighty Boosh Songs from a documentary programme about the series
Sight: My front door when I get home in the evening :smile:
Smell: The smell of clothes coming out of the washing machine :content:
Taste: Cheese and onion pasty that I had for my lunch

grins I’m glad you revived it. This is a nice topic!!

Touch: I’ve been scratching behind my dog’s ears because she has a ‘lampshade’ collar on due to her being spayed last week…she get’s very frustrated. Her fur is silky soft and she rests her head on my arm whilst I’m doing it…

Hearing: My dog playgrowling as she chucks her teddy around the room…

Sight: My dog skidding across the laminate flooring as she chases her teddy that my mother threw for her. Legs spread eagled and wheel spin at the corners!! :rofl:

Smell: I would use my dog again for this example, but I wouldn’t want to lower the tone of the whole thread. Instead: The sweet floral scent of lavender oil on my skin.

Taste: The sweet and tangy taste of fresh, hand picked strawberries… :tongue:

Fun! Thanks for digging this one out of the closet, Moogle :content:

Touch: The soft leather of my very favorite purse

Hearing: Loud cat purrs :content:

Sight: My best Friend dressed all in yellow, right down to the croc shoes and pac man earrings!

Smell: My new sage and lavender candle.

Taste: Have you ever had Opera Cream cake? Wow! :grin:

Touch: My brother’s cat’s soft fur against my throat as I cuddle him :content:

Hearing: An unrestricted flow of music that no one hears but me.

Sight: Another world behind the computer screen. :peek:

Smell: Wet grass from my open window.

Taste: Sugary candy with a hint of liquorice. :happy: