What Book Are You Reading? — Part IV

This is part IV part III can be found here

I’ve finally gotten around to carry on reading The Wheel of Time series, I’m almost done with book 6 now. Unfortunately the writer of the books, Robert Jordan, passed away a few days ago, leaving the last book of the series unfinished :cry:.Luckily he left behind plot outlines and such so hopefully the book will still be published, but it’s just not the same :sad:. R.I.P. Robert Jordan

Hitchihikers guide through the galaxy :lol. that bok pwnz !!!

Rant
by Chuck Palahnuik

RIP RJ … :cry: :cry: :cry: thats really sad i was a WoT fan too
hope AMoL will be a worty ending of the series altough he himself wont be there to write it :cry:

Ranger’s Apprentice

easy to read, but very good book
:smile:

Books: Axel’s Castle by Edmund Wilson, literary crit—the author wrote a book I’m quite a deep admirer of, called To the Finland Station, which I think absolutely everyone with the slightest liking for History should read. Also reading Italo Calvino’s Se una notte d’inverno un viaggiatore (If on a winter’s night a traveler). Calvino is perhaps my favourite writer of all times—and even if he’s not, he’s definitely among the best, in my opinion, together with Borges, Kafka, Joyce, Machado, Woolf, Dostoevsky etc. The book is a must read. For absolutely everyone. Go borrow a copy of it somewhere and read it. Now. Oἰδίπoυς τύραννoς (Oedipus the King, bilingual edition), by Sophocles. Considered by many the masterpiece of Athenian tragedy, the play tells the story of Oἰδίπoυς (Oedipus), and a mystery curse that seems to have been cast upon the town he lives in. Breathtaking, in spite of how long ago it was written, and the fact that everyone knows its story nowadays.

Papers: Heavy Metal Music in Postdictatorial Brazil (subtitle: Sepultura and the Coding of Nationality in Sound), by Idelber Avelar, a very enjoyable read from a fellow Brazilian blogger. The paper is written in English, as Avelar teaches what they call “Latin–American Literature,” in the University of Tulane. A very interesting piece, recommended for all heavy metal fans, and especially for the people who love Sepultura. And a couple of others on Greek Tragedy (most of them by Pierre Vernant), and economics of war, prisons, asylums and that kind of environment.

The Bible. More specifically, John :smile:

Ah, I love Chuck Palahniuk. I’ve only read Fight Club and Invisible Monsters, but oh my GOD were they good. Incredibly amazing books, both of them.

I’m currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

I just finished the graphic novel ‘Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth’ by Chris Ware and the Norwegian children’s novel ‘Pitbull-Terje går amok’ by Endre Lund Eriksen.

Now I’m reading ‘Pitbull-Terje og kampen mot barnevernet’ (Pit-Bull Terje and the Battle against the Child Welfare) by Endre Lund Eriksen, ‘Powers’ by Ursula K. Le Guin and ‘Tehanu’ by Ursula K. Le Guin.

The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

i would dare say that she is becoming my favorite author, although the only book of hers i havn’t read is The Vine of Desire, which my English teacher claims is rubbish, and admittedly the plot totally goes against Sudha’s character (from the prequel, Sister of my Heart)

All Quiet On The Western Front

Pretty good read, im not into novels but its the best war story i’ve ever read :tongue:

I tried to read that a year ago. It was too boring in the beginning of the book so I quit that one.

i read about half of it, loved it. Never finished it though :eh:

Wow. That one’s pretty good. Really liked the ending to it… It’s… well, I don’t think it’s predictable, but it’s still pretty sad.

Non literary: Northrop Frye, Anatomy of Criticism (literary criticism); Erving Goffman, Asylums (sociology); Lúcia Santaella, Teoria Geral dos Signos (“A General Theory of Signs,” semiotics); Andeu Mas–Colell, Microeconomic Theory (science fiction :roll:).

Literary: Italo Calvino, Se una notte d’inverno un viaggiatore (“If on a winter night a traveler,” fantastic realism, metaliterature); Edgar Alan Poe, Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque (portuguese translation, romanticism, symbolism, modern short–story). Also skimming through the Pantchatantra (portuguese translation, the original is in Sanscrit); as far as I know, the oldest remaining book of “short stories” or “tales” or whatever—somewhat similar in structure and whatnot to the good old Arabian Nights.

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip Dick, the plot even contains a drug that is able to create a solipsistic world exactly like the LD world.

I started The Big Bang by Simon Sing(sp?) on sunday.

I just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and I’m about to dive into The Valkyries by him as well. Really great books, I enjoy his stuff a lot.

Seriously? I hate him! :bored:

/me has been reading:

Se una notte d’inverno un viaggiatore (If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler) by Italo Calvino, a romance.

Vestido de Noiva (The wedding dress) by Nelson Rodrigues, a play.

Asylums by Erving Goffman, a sociological treatise on total instutions, such as hospices, prisons and convents.

Uncle Toms Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

I think I spelt that right :tongue:

Why?!