What Book Are You Reading? — Part IV

I’m reading (over and over)

Associated Student Bodies. The Yearbook
It’s not really a book… It’s a comic that was released in a collection of all 8 issues and all the covers in a A4 Hardcover version… It’s a really nice story though, not anything like Calvin and Hobbes… The story is really deep and touching in some way actually.

And I’ve been trying to get to reading the rest of

The last Templar
I don’t remember who wrote it, but it’s good, I just don’t know where I put it :razz:
It’s about templars and a treasure, you could guess ;3

Starting up The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks after Tasyne recommended it. I need light fiction to get into. School’s just a tad busy as of late…

In English we’re starting to read The Odessey. This is going to suck so much!

Are you kidding? that’s a great story.
I’m reading a biography on Peter the Great!

The Odyssey is one of the most enlightening books I’ve ever read. I hope your feelings don’t spoil the reading, KT, as it is definitely one of the masterpieces of humankind, one of the most awesome things I’ve ever read.

I just started reading The Subtle Knife, by Philip Pullman, which is the second book of Pullman’s trilogy “His Dark Materials”. I started reading the first one because I heard it recommended somewhere and had never heard of the author before, and I wanted to try something different from my usual reading (which consisted mostly of books by Terry Pratchett).

So I read the first book of the trilogy (The Golden Compass) and, well, I did quite enjoy it. It is a fantasy book playing in a parallel universe comparatively similar to our world (I won’t write spoilers here). The world was well thought-out and presented, though some stuff seemed a bit strange. The story was well written, the settings and moods were varied (which I value), the characters likeable, and with good suspense toward the end.

However, I closed the book thinking, ok, that was a nice children’s story (it won the Carnegie Medal after all), but nothing overwhelmingly great. Instead of continuing to read the series, I was going to try something different again, “Ender’s Game” by Orson Scott Card, which I started reading the same day I finished The Golden Compass. Bad Mistake. I started reading the book, and after a few pages I noticed that I was not really paying attention, my mind was still busy with the last book. It made no sense to continue reading just then. Then I remembered the text on the first pages of The Golden Compass:

“The Golden Compass forms the first part of a story in three volumes. The first volume is set in a universe like ours, but different in many ways. The second volume is set partly in the universe we know. The third volume will move between the universes.”

I was very curious to see how that would play out, knowing the end of the first book and the differences of the world presented in it to ours. I was curious what exactly he meant by “our world”, how he would present it in contrast to the world of the first book. And I noticed that I cared a lot more for the fate of the characters than I had originally believed. So I decided to abandon Ender’s Game for the moment and went to get the second book of the trilogy His Dark Materials, the book I’m reading now, The Subtle Knife. And from the moment I opened it, I was hooked.

This can’t be because of the second book alone. Even the best book needs a while to get the reader so involved, but I was glued to it from page one. In fact, I was thrilled, and this doesn’t happen to me often when I’m reading. I realise now how good The Golden Compass really is, both on its own and as part of the trilogy, and I can highly recommend the series to practically everyone who doesn’t become desinterested when things look a bit childish at first.

i thought the same thing when i started reading it.

Trust me, it’s AWESOME.

it’s one of the most action packed stories i’ve ever read. It goes all over the world and if you have any interest in mythology, or even thought Zeus sounds like a cool dude, trust me, you’ll love it.

It’s awesome. awesome :razz:

The Odessey? In ENGLISH?! :eh:
We studied it two years ago in my ancient greek class :tongue:
It’s cool i guess… except things change when you have to write an exam on it.
Now im reading the devil wears prada (heard the book’s better than the film so wanted to check it out) and The Secret but i guess that’s not exactly a book. :content:

Well, im not reading yet but will start in the next week or so,
etext.lib.virginia.edu/stc/Coler … riner.html
I decided to read it because i love rime of the acient mariner by iron maiden
(i have a wide variety of tastes in music)

that has to be one of my favorite poems ever. First off, it’s just plain cool. Secondly, it’s long, not to mention epic.

I liked a lot of poems by Coleridge but personally i think i liked Woodsworth better :wink:

Lord of the rings 2- just finished 1 and afterwards will read 3. They are the coolness as books they’re better than their films I think.

Still reading Se una notte d’inverno un viaggiatore (now up to “in a web of interweaving lines”).

And picked up Introduction à la Rhétorique: Théorie et Pratique (Introduction to Rhetorics: Introduction and Practise) by Olivier Reboul.

Well, I just finish “Terrible Times” book 3 of The Eddie Dickens Trilogy by Philip Ardagh.
And is now reading:

• ‘Phenomena: Bok 5: Enigma’ by Ruben Eliassen
  • ‘Tehanu’ Ursula K. Le Guin
  • ‘Powers’ by Ursula K. Le Guin
  • ‘Papirvegger’ by John Ajvide Lindqvist
  • ‘Tales from Earthsea’ by Ursula K. Le Guin

painocus:Thankyou painocus, I think you made me read the john ajvide lindqvist books :content:

Bought “I, Robot” by Isaac Asimov, and finished reading it today(It was my third time reading it) and it’s nothing like the movie :wink: the only thing they have in common might be some names and the laws but nothing else.
I, Robot is a collections of short storys about robot. Very fun to read.

Bought “Darkly Devoted Dexter” Today I’ve seen the first season and read the first book, many thinks the tv-series is better than the book, but I think the ending in the book is better than the ending in the series(that doesn’t mean the series has a bad ending just that the book has a better ending)

/Magnus

Atm I’m finishing “Wind-Up Bird Chronicle”, by Haruki Murakami. Pretty unusual story and guess what - dreams are very important part of it :smile:

REALLY… sniffle sniffle :cry: . That’s really to bad, wow. I read From the Two Rivers three years ago". Then I read The Eye of the World last year. Then I just borrowed The Great Hunt and I have only finished the prolouge. I also just joined The Wheel of Time Mud (multi-user-dimension). And he was still writing?!? I thought the series was like 15 years old. That is sad, what did he die from? By the way no spoilers please!

Earthsea? Like the Studio Ghibli movie? :eek:

I’m reading “the Catcher in the Rye” :cool:

I finished reading ‘the catcher in the rye’ recently.

No prob :content: His first book “Let the Right one In” is now in English BTW.
Run and buy, boys and girls :tongue:

Yes, the Ghibli film is loosely based on the third book "The Farthest Shore ", takes elements from the first book “A Wizard from Earthsea” and two characters from the forth book “Tehanu”.

But the books are far superior to the movie IMO :grin:

Finished If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler . Props to Bruno for recommending it, it was awesome. Best closure ever.

Started reading a long graphic novel (fancy word for comic book :razz:) called Bone , about 1000 pages or so long. Also reserved The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.