Gun Laws And Gun Control , Your opinion

Soo, i wanted to open this for some time but somehow never did…
How are the gun laws in your country ? how is the public opinion on gun control ?
and more important , what do you think of them ? how do you think it should be changed ?
In austria , gun laws are quite strict , also , it isnt usual for somebody to have a gun …
I know thats a hot iron for some , i hope this this dicussion gets lively , but stays civil :smile:
This topic is primary about YOUR opinion on the subject of gun controll
Greets, Sakoda :mrgreen_hat:

In Brazil, you have the right to carry weapons within your household, that is, of course, provided you pass a batch of ballistic and psycho–technical exams. Outside of the house, only those with police power (roughly, the police and the military) or in certain high risk professions (public prossecutors being the only example that comes to mind) are allowed to carry them. Brazil is one of the world’s largest producers of personal weapons, but not half of our production remains in the country (at least not legally).

Although gun laws are strictly enforced in the urban areas, there is little to no fiscalization in other regions (slumtowns, rural areas, forests), which is a known fact and indeed a jurisprudence of its own (meaning a person caught carrying a weapon in the jungle can argue in their favour that they were in the jungle).

That, of course, conserning fire weapons. But fire weapons are for the weak, aren’t they? :razz: I don’t know about the regulation for other kinds of weapons (bombs I suppose to be restricted pyrotechnicians, as for knives and bows and — hell, why not? — swords, I don’t know how’s the regulation).

As for the public opinion (except that of a few mass media controlers who kind of jammed our referendum on the topic, two years ago), it is that guns should be even more restricted. (And that the police should be more efficient, but that’s a whole other story.) As for myself, I think civil use should be absolutely forbidden.

a sword , more then 30cm blade length is illegal here if you are underage, just a side note

i think guns are completely illegal here, except maybe for police officers, though most of those don’t even have those, i think
knives can’t be longer than your hand(knife extended as long as possible, including handle)

Australia has very strict laws regarding weapons and firearms. Only a tiny fraction of residents here own a gun, and those that do belong in one of three categories: 1) They’re a member of a gun club, and can prove that they keep their weapons in a locked safe at all times when not at the gun range. They also need to be a current member of at least one such club just to have a license to buy and keep the weapon. 2) Farmers and hunters in rural areas can own a firearm if they, again, can prove that they have a safe or other secure means of locking it away when not in use. 3) People who obtained the weapon illegally, such as gang members. These are quite rare, fortunately. You can practically count the average number of gun-related deaths per year on two hands.

And one more thing about Nameless’ country… I’m well over age to own a gun but I can’t as I did the civilian service in substitution to being drafted in the army… now people aren’t drafted any more, but when I was of age I had to choose between the army and some useful service for 10 months (in my case working in a mental institution) being payed roughly 150 $ a month…
By the way if you refused to serve in the army, no matter what, you can’t own a gun nor apply for working in the police or (and now I ask myself why) become a fireman.

you need a licence for all kinds of guns but hunting shotguns, those sticks with a blade (really!) and can’t have a knife on you if it is longer than 4 roughly 10 centimeters.

“Fun” fact about this place: the majority of homicides (excluding organized crime when the gangs are at war) is consumed between family members and normally the one whoo shoots is or has been a police officer or in the army.

No need of licence for bows, crossbows and you can own a sword if it doesn’t cut.

Wow! You can’t own a gun because you didn’t want to be in the army! That’ really,really,really one stupid piece of law!

I’m kinda sure how it is here in Norway, but not completely. Please correct me Norwegians!

Guns: You need a license to keep them. The license is given from the “lensmann” (like highest ranked police officer in town) I believe, not completely sure. However, you need a reason to own the gun. Being a hunter/collector or sport-shooter is the ones that are in most use, and i believe the only ones when you’re allowed to have 'em.

You need to take the test-thing for being hunter (jegerprøven, you shoot and learn about the gun/animals/etc.) to own a gun, or a minimum of time in a shooters club/club for those who collect firearms. And there’s some clausuls about being mentally allright and such. I don’t think it is allowed to have them in the city I believe, I’m not really sure how that is however. And should one forget the shotgun in the car after having been out hunting won’t it be that much of a problem (mom’s experience xD)

Fun story : My dad and his friend walked down “Karl Johan” the main street in the capitol of Norway, with a shotgun each on the back! :grin: (that’s some years ago, wouldn’t be all that normal today).

Anyways, no licence needed for bows (at least I didn’t need one for mine :wink: ) , but I believe that crossbows are banned. Knifes and swords am I not completely sure about. There’s some rules about bearing a knife in “offentlig plass” in citylike areas, but I guess that’s mainly for the police to be able to take them when people don’t need the knife/plan to use it in fights.

Here’s a link :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law

Very useful information, and the related links will give you in depth information about gun politics in many different countries.