What Book Are You Reading? — Part IV

“The Collected Stories” by Arthur C. Clarke a collection of short stories in the sf-genre from 1937-1999

P.S Chuckiferd If you want to know the correct spelling it’s Gaia, but you were close enough, I think first time I heard the name Gaia was in a children show. :tongue:

The book itself isn’t all THAT great, but I like both of the series that branch off from it.

However, Orson Scott Card isn’t all he’s cracked up to be. His style and characters are annoying and he gets into philosophical rants and lectures, but the books are impossible to put down. Mind control!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just finished The Great Hunt. I can’t believe I waited so long to continue this series.

Finished the book. I’m personally a big fan of his style and characters and don’t find them in the least bit annoying. And his philosophical rants are refreshing to the mindless fiction that seems pertinent nowadays.

Picked up Ender’s Shadow, anyway. Gonna read that next.

Im sick of books never being original. For example in Earegon the farm boy gets his village attacked and goes on an adventure, sound fimiliar??? Every story is modeled after each other

That is true, perhaps one of the coolest things about Card. He draws a lot from religions, politics, and philosophies, but he strings them all together in ways one wouldn’t expect.

And despite being an Eragon fan, sometimes the books are just so… grr.

I’m an Eragon fan and I don’t really care if they have any originality. The movie is not good at all.

Drawing of Three by Stephen King.

Yes you heard right Im accually reading!!! I hope this will improve my spelling mistakes.

i hate steven king
although i have read dreamcatcher which i didnt really understand :wink:

Brunos brainwashed me, and convinced me to start reading Platos Republic! :cry:

hahaha :wink:

Fountainhead was fantastic, a very good read. The characters were all very well developed, although TRJR argued that the main character was unbelievable as a human being, but to a certain extent he`s probably correct. Some bits were somewhat of a slog, but worth getting through.

No, actually. I’ve not read Eragon, and neither Ender nor Bean had their towns attacked. That, and I like the stories because of the character development and the underlying themes. The plot itself is kinda flat, but I don’t believe that is the point of Card’s books.

And have you -read- the book? You can’t make claims like that without reading the book yet.

I actually was talking about the “mindless fiction” quote. Sorry to create the confusion… by the way Ender’s game is an entirely different genre

Ah, ok. For a second I was -almost- offended. :razz:

And so as not to sound chatspeakish, Ender’s Shadow is also amazing. :happy:

I have read Infantry Aces (The German Soldier in Combat in WWII) which is based off of Nazi Germany army in WWII. It’s pretty good, it’s in first person so thats why I like it.

I read Daughters of The Moon when I was 13 and was thinking of re-reading some…Latest book I read was the Harry Potter book…but before that, Sabriel by Garth Nix, which I found entertaining. :smile:

Just finished Dean Koontz’s The Darkest Evening of the Year really good book.

I just saw the Eragon movie this weekend, considering picking up the book. I heard bad things about hte movie but it was pretty fun to watch, maybe not reading the book so not seeing how much of the book was destroyed (as all books made to movies are) helped.

Yes you should definately read the book it’s 100 times better. I can never read books after having seen the movie, nor i read them twice but this is an exception. It’s worth it, trust me. :wink:

READ IT! I heard that the movie was completely different from the book. If you like Eragon then read Eldest the second book in the trilogy (might come out in four books though)

Yeah it’ll be in 4 books cuz he cant fit it all in the last one :tongue:
I’ve already read Eldest and i want to read it again, after i finish reading Eragon for the second time. The movie was disappointing. Very.
I want to read the da vinci code, is it nice? I loved all of dan brown’s books and the only reason i havent read it yet is that i’ve seen the movie. Is it worth reading or is the film just as good?