How to Choose Your Technique

I need advice on what direction i should pursue

I’ve used MILD, and it helped me remember a dream i had that first night of trying, after a good month of not dreaming or just forgeting, so it helps me remember the dreams, but most of them are either 3rd person or seemingly normal, but not lucid, and they don’t have anything unusual happening most of the time, actually most of the dreams i have i don’t realize im having / had until i wake up and remember them, kinda like im not enjoying them, but rather just having them (is that normal or no ?)

And then i’ve tried WILD, where i’ve managed to get HI as my body falls asleep, but no further, like i just can’t break the barrier into the dream to have my fun

So i was wondering if i should stick to MILD, since i fall asleep slowly and thats the suggested tech., until the dream recall is detailed and such or that i actually enjoy them in real time (like actually feeling im there, but not lucid, etc) and then try to use those to try and induce a lucid dream with another tech (suggestions would be helpfull)

Or should i keep trying WILD with the chance that i might be able to make it work ?

Any advice, tips, suggestions, technique’s,etc would be helpful

It’s funny how I’ve had hundreds of LD’s since I was born, but no advanced technique has really worked for me. I usually just realize I’m dreaming, or on the odd occasion I’ll be tired enough to get a lucky WILD. I think Auto-Suggestion helps too. Some times I’ll go a month and only have like 2 LDs, and sometimes I’ll have a week or two where I have LD’s nearly every night.

thanks for the great topic but what should i do to keep myself focused for WILD?

I do the WBTB method then WILD but what should i focus on? im finding it tricky to let my body fall asleep while letting my brain staty focused.

Thanx, niall

thanks for the great topic but what should i do to keep myself focused for WILD?

I do the WBTB method then WILD but what should i focus on? im finding it tricky to let my body fall asleep while letting my brain staty focused.

Thanx, niall

Thanx, niall

One way is to count, but you can find yourself getting off track after a while.

I find counting bad actually, hehe, just breath deeply to keep you concentrated :wink:

Same here. Counting never really worked for me. It just kept me up all night (No I wasn’t dreaming either).

Great topic, Great explanations! :content:

I’ve had several natural ld’s, where i’m aware that I’m dreaming. My question, is though more about keeping the lucidity and control. Ist there a technique that improves that? When it happens spontaneously, its not a problem, but since I started trying to make it happen, I’d realize that I was dreaming and that just wakes me up right away. I’m under the highly motivated/fast sleeper and whenever I wake up then go back to sleep I always have much stronger dreams. Its like a natural WBTB. I think almost all my pre-lucids have come that way.
What do all of you think?

Yes, there are several techniques to help attain your lucidity. One of them is to spin on your axis (it might just take you to another dream scene too), you could also try and rub your hands together, just take in the scene and become aware of everything around you, and one I heard recently was to stop, drop and roll (I don’t know if this one has been tested yet).

You might want to take a look at The BIG “How to stay lucid” topic :smile:
As for if any particular technique will prevent this, unless you were trying WILD I would doubt it. I think it’s more likely to be caused by building up on the idea of lucid dreaming or what you are doing once lucid, than it is to do with your technique.

Thanks kT4all. :content: What do you mean by “spin on your axis?” But your idea here is basically to focus more on the ok, I’m dreaming, just calmly take it all in, be aware, but relaxed, rather than “GASP! I’m dreaming!” then just waking up. is that right? It makes sense, seeing as the time that hasn’t happened was when I had a dream within a dream; getting lucid on the second just made me go right back into the first-unlucid.

And dragon73-thanks! I’ll check the staying lucid topic as soon as I’m done here. :yes: How would a WILD make it harder to keep lucidity? I have tried it, just not yet succesfully. I’ll hold off on it until later if its a problem.

It’s not that WILD makes it harder to become lucid, it’s just that from what I’ve heard, WILDs can be less stable than DILDs generally are. :smile:

On the contrary, every single one of my WILDS has lead to a long and vivid dream, while most of my DILDs never last longer than fifteen seconds. Additionally, DILDs have a greater chance of leading to a FLD.

Just spin around! :razz:

Yes that is right. Just don’t get that excited when you notice that you are lucid. If you do then you might wake up from the dream.

:woot: I DID IT! :yay: my last post was during my first real attempt at lucid dreaming; I’d been taking it easy, letting myself get used to the idea, completely assimilating it in my head before I tried it.
Anyway, I read the “stay lucid” topic (thanks Dragon73) and went back to bed. I wrote down in my DJ the things I wanted to do, and ended up doing an unintentional WILD at the same time. Among the things I wanted to do was have a good chat with my spirit guide, but I talk to her all the time in real life so I summoned her immediately. She helped me keep my mind “awake.” What I realized is that WILD works so much easier if you’re not trying to do it. :grin:
Funny thing though: I did have to keep a good amount of focus to keep myself asleep, but the problem was I was both in my real and dream body…If that makes sense.
I couldn’t rub my hands together for example, because my real body hands would move and the dream would go more quickly. It was tricky. So I tried other things, like shouting “I’m dreaming! I’m dreaming!” The spin worked once, though another time I felt my real body starting to turn before I stopped it alltoghether. Has this happened to anyone? Why? Isn’t sleep paralysis supposed to kick in at this point?

A post about multiple techniques having a negative effect was split to it’s own topic in General Lucidness called “Are multiple techniques detrimental?:dragon:

Hey guys, what would you class as “falling asleep quickly?” I think I’m in this catorgory as I’d say it takes me around 10 minutes to fall asleep, give or take a few.

[quote="Yanielle"] What I realized is that WILD works so much easier if you're not trying to do it. :grin: [/quote]

This is definitely true! You just have to relax and go with it but somehow try and keep your mind awake, not letting yourself fall to sleep but at the same time not thinking about it too much as then the brain gets over-active and you don’t become relaxed enough. Talk about trying to multi-task :wink:

[mod]Edited in double post, please use edit to add things. You can used the

tags to add a quote. :dragon:[/mod]

for some reason, nightmares get me lucid really easily.
Before i learned all about the lucid stuff, whenever i would have a nightmare i would realise this is a dream and wake myself up! I didn’t know i could do things,or change the dream, i was just to scared i would shut my eyes and when they opened i would be in my room again! Now that i look back on this I get really mad because i havent had a nightmare since! :grrr:

Hmm, thats exactly contrary to my experience and understanding. It seems to me that DILD’s tend to start a little foggy because you realize your dreaming in he dream and the level of that awareness various. In a WILD you fall asleep consciously and as a result maintain the same awareness that you have when you were awake. Consequently, you enter the dream state with absolute awareness that its a dream.

Hey there,

Wow, thats a really helpful topic. I dont know whether someone asked this already, but doesnt the time that you need to fall asleep actually depend on your ability to calm your thoughts?

I’ve made the experience that when I expect certain things to happen (i.e. HI) or keep pondering about certain things I fall asleep very slowly but when I keep visualizing something or watch my breath I can fall asleep in 10 minutes. Is that just an illusion? Because it sounded to me when I read the first post that your either born a “fast time fall asleep” or the other way round?

Thanks already :smile:

Nick