Mac vs Windows (split from "what's your desktop")

Did you turn it of , or does it always have no desktop icons ? :eh:

did you get your macbook as a replacement for a windows PC ? or does your family since ages observe the way of the apple ? :lol:

I don’t have any desktop icons, i like things organized :tongue:.

I got my MacBook for Christmas because I prefer Apple to Microsoft. I hardly use my windows Vista any more. Me and my sister worship apple :bow:

Mac is :clap: nice …
vista desktop can get quite awesome , but it uses up much space , i still think XP is the golden windows :yes: … /me glares at TG , hey stop hitting me :razz:

You can change the size of the icons on vista. I personally like Vista more than XP. Tell The Game i say ‘:yes:

I think Mac looks a lot cooler but that’s probably because not that many people use it, so it seems more “unkown” and “new”. I still prefer to use Windows, since i’m used to it and i can’t be bothered to learn something new.

Well, personally, I hate everything to do with ‘i’ and ‘Mac’
I’m not a mac user, but using something like Quicktime is evidence enough, I dread using it. Always crashing, using all my CPU usage, always searching for %^£&% updates… Irittates me so much, when I just want to watch a simple video.
When it comes down to desktops looking ‘cool’ You can simply download the themes for XP, Vista and Mac. Just the features that are diffrent, Now I can’t even see the diffrence between vista and xp, apart from the fact that Vista uses more system resources than XP and some pointless other features. I recall watching a video of Bill Gates implying that vista was a step down in operating systems.
No… I’m keeping with XP as long as possible, that is until software, games don’t run on XP. It’s such a scam, I can’t play directX 10 games on XP without vista… Another reason to spend some money on a pointless upgrade. Since Vista has become mandatory in most shops such as curray’s and PC world, XP support and updates will probably dissapear because of the lack of users, which means also i’ll be forced to upgrade. As if M$ hasn’t enough money already… Always trying to find a way to make some sort of profit.

If I has a choice I would get a Mac. BUT my family is all over Dell. Every one of our computers except one is Dell. I’m getting some kind of mac laptop when I go to college though. Sometimes Microsoft can be frustrating …

Do Dell’s have their own Operating system?

giveshimselfaheadshot Of course NOT but ac OSX runs only on specifix hardware

Mac OSX only works on Macintosh and powerbooks.

No longer, Liam. Ever since they switched to a Unix-based system running on x86 architecture, it can be ported to PCs with a little tweaking (very little if you’re a geek, or have a geeky friend).

At any rate, Linux > Mac > Amiga > BeOS > … > Windows. :cool:

I’m running currently on Windows Vista. I think Vista is best if you have lots of memory and you are a gamer, like me. Unfortunately I haven’t got lots of memory, and this works really slow on this computer. (Haven’t really tweaked the settings yet.)

I would say XP is the best. (Although I like macs too)

why wgen you are a gamer ? it takes all the memory all for itself :rofl: ,

I am referring to most recent games which use Direct X 10.

XP doesn’t have directx 10 support, neither does it support any recent hardware.

My friend bought a new computer with pretty new parts and tech and his XP based system crashed all the time. Now he’s switching to Vista. :smile:

I don’t know if you understand what I’m speaking, but Vista provides more support for recent and upcoming games / and hardware.

Oh, and I was speaking from more like generic aspect from vista. Not from my point of view. :happy:

Theres an DX10 Cracked for XP :happy:

at my work we just got a mac and it is the sex!
my computer at home is a dell with windows xp. i prefer it over vista thats forsure… but not over mac.
wishes for macbook

To answer the initial question, I always have less than 10 icons on my desktop.

If I had the choice and could afford it, I’d get a Macbook Pro right now. Not only because of the OS (which is pretty well designed and is UNIX-based)… also because of its hardware, which has pretty good results on benchmarks (my friends who did the switch also say it runs really smooth, both under OS X and Windows).

If BeOS still was on the market, it would be awesome.

Anyway, I dual-boot Windows XP and Linux 2.6 (Ubuntu 7.10) and I’m never switching to Vista.

First off, I would just like to say that microsoft is a cheating lying stealing bastard. Everything microsoft has ever come out with was not of its own design. For instance, I bring up how Sadoka said, “vista desktop can get quite awesome” For that, I would like you to search youtube for a video of compiz fusion. Vista COMPLETELY ripped every desktop effect it has from compiz-fusion. (Which is a mix of compiz and beryl). Secondly, the search bar on the main window, stolen from Mac. Thirdly, the games that come with the Vista installation. They seem to be the exact same that come with OS X, what? Oh no, I forgot, on the chess game, one of the floor patterns is wood and the other is linoleum.

There there is that court case about how Microsoft stole the windows operating system from apple. But for some reason, the supreme court has suspended that hearing and given legal immunity to Microsoft since 2002.

In any case, Windows is still an entirely useless operating system, which takes far too much time and effort to program, without yielding sufficient results to make up for the efforts. After using linux for a month, I swore that I would never use windows again. It is just too inefficient with resources to make it a worthwhile operating system.

But Mac is a good OS. It is astoundingly responsive and well made, with multiple useful programs for complicated tasks that cut the work involved with doing those tasks into pieces.

However, I still choose linux as my OS of choice because it’s free and open source. And I believe that no one should have to pay to receive knowledge or ideas. And that is all software is. Ideas made reality.

Oh and I just read liam_sw say, “You can change the size of the icons on vista. I personally like Vista more than XP.” (they took that from linux too)

I’m also a Linux addict. :cool: It used to be so hectic to use, it didn’t have any drivers and needed so much expertise to use… Thanks to now almost two decades of hard work from all around the world, it’s changed. Setting up Ubuntu is increadibly easy, and using it is just as simple as using Windows itself — in fact, easier in that you have an application to find & download the exact piece of software you need, when you need it, within a few clicks.

I set it up in an hour and a half, that’s all it took to format my disk and install the default system. Then it took it another fifteen minutes to make a list of all my devices and paraphernalia, download the drivers and have everything working. And that was it. It was faster, and in many senses easier to use than Windows.

Learning to use Linux takes a little street smarts, so to speak, but a week is as long as it takes for you to be using everything with just as much ease as before. And the supporting community is so great! The people from the #ld4all channel alone were able to sort out all of my basic problems, but if something weird happened (like a piece of Windows software I set up in Linux, whose window kept disappearing when I switched between workspaces), step-by-step instructions to sort it out were just a google search away from me, always.

I also prefer it to Mac OS. I’ll admit Mac is better to deal with art — images and sound — on an advanced level, due to tradition and to performance optimisation for that kind of thing. But I would’t like to have it as a desktop system, as it (just like Vista, ew) has that “so easy a three full of monkeys on nitrous oxide could operate it” philosophy, which makes it horribly hard for you to do anything out of the protocol. It’s very easy to use, but at the cost of treating you like an idiot. On the other hand… its performance is outstanding, and there’s the “ooh, smooth & shiny” factor. It is an addictive eyecandy, you look at it and wish all systems were like that. Of course, there are whole “pimp my Linux” groups around releasing packages to give your distro the exact same feel & functionality of Macs, but that comes at the cost of some performance, so if you’re a weirdo like me who usually has four workspaces open, the four full of windows running at the same time, it’s not worth it.

But seriously. If anyone, like me, has had a bad time with Linux in the past, now is the time to give it a second chance. Try Ubuntu, and see it for yourself. It’s mindblowing, you’ll never want to see Windows in front of you, ever again. (And now, in the middle of this year, I think I’m going to switch to Debian, which is a not so user-friendly distribution by default, but which can be configured a bit deeper than Ubuntu, that is, with more ease).

I’m running Windows XP myself. I have 19 icons on the desktop, and it’s not cluttered at all. It used to be, but then I found such a nice desktop background image that I had to organize it so I could see the wonderful pictures. I can understand why people use Macs, but I’ve never had any desire to switch over. That’s not to say I don’t still enjoy the “ooh, smooth & shiny” factor when I walk into an Apple Store. But really, the Mac OS’s sacrifice a certain amount of power to that OS&S factor. But I don’t care for the flashy look of the Mac PCs. (Case in point, I run XP in Classic display mode.) Not to mention they’re ridiculously expensive.

Microsoft has it’s terrible gaping flaws though. I mean, after you’ve been running it for a year or two, you start getting regular crashes. Not to mention the problems with the things they make to fix the problems with the things they made earlier. I installed SP2 yesterday. Now I can’t watch video files of any kind in Windows Media Player. Youtube and such works still though…

The only reason I’m still tolerating Windows is because any game new enough not to need an emulator will only run ‘reliably’ in Windows. I’ll never (up)grade to Vista. In Vista they just took Windows XP and put Mac OS Tiger on top. (I think it was tiger. Animal name? Really?)

I’ve started saving for a new computer, and when I get it I’ll be switching to Linux. I’ll still keep XP on a second hard drive for games, but the simple truth is that Linux has evolved to the point where it can do everything the others can well enough for non-commercial use. (And often for commercial use too) Not to mention you don’t have to be paranoid about Windows Genuine Advantage sneaking up and taking access to your data away just because you didn’t want to buy another copy of Windows that cost as much as all the hardware put together.

How do Apple and Microsoft get away with charging $400-$600 for something that, past developing expenses, costs less than $5 to manufacture AND ship?