A new Technique VWILD

Night3: once again I didnt wear it during the dayshakes head (didnt wear it today either). I did install some watch straps though which made it a lot easier to wear during the night; unfortunately I cant remember any instance that may have been caused from the watch; besides being woken up multiple times.

The bee scenario sounds like it probably was the watch

It sounds like (to me) that you may be a tiny bit anxious and still too aware that you are wearing the device before you sleep. This may be influencing your dream recall.
You may be quite a light sleeper, so the force of the vibration may need to be tuned down a bit.
After a week of trials, change your alarm setting time to maybe 45 mins. Go up every 5 mins each week.

YOU MUST WEAR IT EVERY DAY

Sorry about that, thats why its best to make it comfortable.

Hey, just an update…

I’ve been wearing it all day long everyday and doing Reality Checks to each alarm. I’m finally to the point where I don’t wait for the next one, but like you said, just go about normally until it comes. I still haven’t had any LD’s. In fact, I haven’t even noticed it in my dreams. I have yet to have any dreams relating to any vibration, my wrist, or arm, or anything like that. I’ve tried a couple of different times, but I think I’m going to give it another week before I change the times again. I think a big reason this hasn’t worked for me is because I have a hard time doing RC’s and REALLY asking if I’m dreaming. I have increased my motivation and I’ve been asking myself if I’m REALLY asking myself if I’m dreaming now, so hopefully this will help. But for now, I’m off to dream land. G’night

Yes, I do need to wear it all day before really expecting results. My dream recall has started going up though and last night I wasnt woken up at all or found any dreamsigns related to it. Unfortunately the batteries are close to dead which may have been the problem. I should probably look into a way to make the batteries last longer.

Alaszun and Rarebreed, where are you.

I’m waiting for updates form you both on your devices. have you had any luck yet improving LDing?

I still havnt had any more LD from using the vibralite3 since the last time. i think the vibrate is just too powerful and keeps waking me up.

I really want to know how its been for you alaszun, to see if i should by the 8 model.

Im still here. Just havent shruken my device yet to a point where I will wear it daily; thus making it pointless for research until I do so. I am hoping to implement vibration strength control in the new smaller model though.

I actually had a very barely lucid dream this morning, but it wasn’t because of the wristwatch. I have been doing regular RC’s every vibration, but I haven’t had any lucid dreams yet. I think I’m going to try a different time setting, maybe go back to the 42.

By the way, I do remember one dream where I felt the watch go off, but I was doing something and didn’t bother to do an RC in the dream. That was at the time where I wasn’t doing regular RC’s to the vibrations, and since then I have been. So I’m going to change the timer setting to 42 and give it another week.

I think the problem might be my motivation to REALLY ask myself if I’m dreaming. So when I feel the vibration in the dream, I just do a nose RC automatically without really asking myself if I’m dreaming. I have started doing that recently though, so hopefully I’ll have better results this week.

oh wow, I just looked your watch up again and I didnt realize it had the adjustable countdown timer. That watch sounds just about exactly what would be needed…but the site I saw it on had it for $120! Ill stick with working on my “free” one. But good to know there is an alternative out there for people who might not be able to make their own.

Hi,

I own a novadreamer which I purchased over 10 years ago; it sort of worked for me at that time, though I only really tried for a week or two because I couldn’t sleep well with the mask on my face. Also life got too busy to do dream checks and maintain the necessary focus… I am now trying to get back into LD, but my novadreamer is in another country, so I started practicing WILD, but with little success. As I keep trying to WILD into the dream state, I decided to also try out the tactile induction mechanism described in this post.
I didn’t want to get a watch so I made my own little gadget; it’s really quite shameful to post, as it has no features other than a timed vibrator and it’s very poorly assembled, but this only cost 5$ and took a couple hours to make, hence the name. The idea is to check whether tactile cues will work for me as well as the novadreamer; if so then I will work on this some more.

flickr.com/photos/23547360@N03/2247507001/

I will report its effectiveness here in the days to come.

not bad at all!, and yea, one battery isnt enough. I found that as well, the lil vibrating motors actually take quite a bit of power

Worst night in more than a year.

Once the device woke me up as I had my arm too close to my face.
The rest were unrelated problems, extreme unbearable heat, despite the fact it’s winter, despite turning off the heater, despite taking off all clothes and bedsheets. Thermodynamically impossible unless I was burning thousands of calories, which I probably was. Itches everywhere. Hunger. Farts. Having to go to the restroom. I tried to WILD several times, the wait is simply unbearable it takes hours and nothing happens ever, it’s painfully boring, worse than staring at the wall. Body becomes numb, respiration slows - but nothing, the moment I feel the body’s trying to pull the switch, my heart rate goes up. No SP. I’m not getting excited or anything, in fact by the third time I almost didn’t give a crap as long as I got to sleep somehow. But nothing, seems like I get a shot of adrenaline the moment the body tries to shut down.

I have only to hope that the plasticity of the brain extends to this area as well and that little by little I’ll be able to teach my brain that it’s ok to shut the hell down while I’m still dimly aware.

7:38am now, I just ate the worst junk food I could find, to at least block the hunger. Now I will try again.

Definitely the worst night in a long time.
Vibration has the side-effect that when you have your arm under the covers the vibration is not very noisy but if you have your wrist next to your head then it will wake you up. Even worse, if you have the vibrating device pressed against the mattress by the weight of your arm, then the vibration will resonate and that gets really loud. I have therefore tried to keep my arm under the covers, but that still managed to wake me up a few times every 45 minutes. The dreams I recalled were not lucid, nor was there any hint to a vibration on the wrist in them.
The noise problem could be solved by attaching the device to my ankle instead, but I am not sure I will be able to keep that up when I move near the sea and I don’t want to waste precious training weeks.

The vibration could be made softer… but before I do that I want to at least have it wake me out of a dream to verify that it is indeed strong enough to produce a stimulus that’s incorporated into the dream. I do hope it’s not too strong for sleeping but not strong enough to notice it in a dream.

Overall I’m disappointed but still hopeful.
The other thing I’m disappointed about is trying to WILD several times throughout the night as this thing was waking me up and never succeeding once.
If I concentrate properly, so that I’m following the numbers, I won’t fall asleep. If I follow dream imagery and just keep reminding myself I’m dreaming every minute or so, then I’ll get to the point of a beginning SP but as soon as I feel the brain is pulling the plug I get the adrenaline jolt. If I just don’t think about anything then I eventually manage to get to sleep (though not always) but it’s not lucid.

Wow, tough luck.

Yea, there are a few ways to make it vibrate softer…limiting resistor…pwm… but I can see why you would want it to wake you out of a dream once first.

What timing are you using? perhaps it is too often and thus waking you up?

It’s set to vibrate every 45 minutes.
Yesterday I had this thing wake me out of a dream. So now I can proceed according to the plan and reduce the vibration.
I set it to 50% PWM, it’s very subtle.
Let’s see what happens!!!

Awesome! also, I decided to look at your picture again to see which pic chip you are using. I used a different one because I used picaxe to program it; but I noticed that you used picbasic pro; thats interesting cuz thats what I usually use…except I dont have the pro version. Just cool to see another person use a lot of the same things and methods I would use.

:>

Hey realtalk413, both of your posts are really good suggestions, but unfortunately I must say neither are very practical. The heart rate actually doesnt seem to change too much during dreaming compared to normal sleep, from my research it seems to be almost the same as when you are awake. If Im wrong, please point out the resource you are using. Also, the problem with changing limbs is it takes away the instinctual aspect of this technique. Feel vibrating watch-do reality check. Basically, you are forming a reflex during the day that should help at night.

i got the vibralite 8 and i am still experimenting with it (only had it since yesterday). before going with the vibralite i was actually looking at a “pager” looking vibrating timer called the invisible clock-

link to vendor removed (please read forum guidelines)

it is only $40, and the vibration has a sensitivity adjustment. i opted for the vibralite because it seemed more convient to wear. i suppose you could strap the invisible clock to your wrist or ankle, but it would look funny on your wrist and i would not be able to wear shorts if i wanted too. I will be buying the invisible clock next though, maybe i can wear it on my ankle in the winter. gotta go, my vibralite just went off…