Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Programming (Computer Geeks, Unite!!!!)

Author  Message 
TwilightDreamer
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Xion, there are languages such as LISP and BF that are different (Even though BF is quite much syntax different)

Xion
Lucid Apprentice
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 5

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

BF is an esotheric language so it pretty much cannot be compared to anything smile
Lisp uses multiple paradigms: it has features of both procedural and functional languages. And pretty awful syntax too wink5

gyaku_zuki
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

Hey all, newb here lol wink5

I learned myself BASIC when my parents bought me a 'Commodore 64' when I was 4 lol (does that say more about me or them ?!?) and since then I'm computer obsessed lol, so I guess that makes me a computer geek lol

I know BASIC, C and C++, and Java. Mostly I learned them as part of my university Physics course. Its so fun being taught programming by a Chinese professor who refers to the computer as 'he' tounge2

'You need tell him what you want of him to do' tounge2

RemnantUsername
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

i just BARLEY know VB and i dont plan to venture away from high level anytime soon user

But hey i am 13
what do you expect ^^

Last edited by RemnantUsername on Tue 12 Feb, 2008; edited 1 time in total
Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

Xion wrote:
Lisp uses multiple paradigms: it has features of both procedural and functional languages. And pretty awful syntax too wink5

What are you talking about, it's the best syntax ever! Seriously, I love Lisp, and I love Scheme, I wish more languages were designed to look like that!

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

Lisp is an interesting language. I can see why people find the syntax frustrating, but I tend to agree with Bruno. I think it's quite useful, once you become familiar with it. For instance, there's no confusion when it comes to order of precedence in your calculations. You're forced to write the formula in a way that removes the ambiguity.

Also, having all variables (or symbols) represent both a value and a function is interesting. It makes it easier to transplant part of a formula without having it evaluated immediately. You have to be mindful of the syntax at all times (especially when using quote abbreviations (')), but it's pretty logical once you get used to it.

I can't decide if I like the "reference vs. copy" precedence, though. In most languages, assigning one variable to another duplicates the value, while both variables still reference different addresses in memory. In Lisp, you have to explicitly use the "copy" keyword to duplicate a variable, as the default assignment essentially creates a reference. References are great, but I like it to be more obvious that I'm creating one (like the & operator in C, or the ByRef keyword in VB). Just a personal preference, I guess.

Ebil_Score
opposite = underscore
Somniologist
LD count: 1Long/2Short

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

i'm 15, been programming C for 4 years. It doesn't get much lower-level than that, unless you code in binary, writing your own IAT, etc.. :o)

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

Atheist wrote:
Lisp is an interesting language. I can see why people find the syntax frustrating, but I tend to agree with Bruno. I think it's quite useful, once you become familiar with it.

(begin
    (define knows-scheme?
      (lambda (x)
        (if (eqv? x 'yes)
          #t
          #f)
        )
      )
    (if (knows-scheme? 'yes)
      (begin (display "Yay! :D") 'yay!)
      (begin (display "No! :(") 'u))
    )

This language is insane lach1

Chuckiferd
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

wow lots of wasted space and time, that is a lot of indentation rules you'd have to learn

Serith
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

I learned LSL, the scripting language for Second Life a few years ago, through the use of online guides and a few classes inside of Second Life. Last year I learned some basic C++ in a class at my high school, enough to make console applications. I've recently started trying to learn more on my own, but my computer's so slow I'm not doing much until I get some more RAM. I've found a site that works alright for learning more, but does anyone else recommend any particular source for learning more C++?

darkdude
Here to stay!
Novice dreamer
LD count: 31

Who else knows LOLCODE?

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE

I love that it's so fuuny.

EDIT:Well,I don't really know it well, but I know some.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods

Chuckiferd wrote:
wow lots of wasted space and time, that is a lot of indentation rules you'd have to learn

Actually, whitespace is not semantic in Scheme, I wrote the post with intendation because otherwise it would make no sense to anyone reading the post:

Code:
(begin (define knows-scheme? (lambda (x) (if (eqv? x 'yes) #t #f))) (if (knows-scheme? 'yes) (begin (display "Yay! :D") 'yay!) (begin (display "No! :(") 'u)))

^This is valid code too.

Serith wrote:
I've found a site that works alright for learning more, but does anyone else recommend any particular source for learning more C++?

When it comes to C++, more than any other scripting language, there is truth in the adage that says: Google is your friend. wink5 Seriously, put C++ and a couple of keywords together in the search bar and go for it.

BenDrummin58
Dream Hacker
cookie lover

darkdude wrote:
Who else knows LOLCODE?

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE

I love that it's so fuuny.

EDIT:Well,I don't really know it well, but I know some.

Hah I saw that too! Made me laugh like the whole *** (hey, it's the name!) did, lol.

I too program! Yay! I've been programming on my own since the sixth grade (now a senior in high school). I've also been taking computer science courses for all four years at my high school and have gone to state competitions for both computer science and for robotics. Java is definitely my strong language (it's what's taught at school), but I also know C++, C#, BASIC, Visual Basic, PHP, HTML, and if it counts, ActionScript. I'm a huge game programming fan (that's why I went into this stuff in the first place starting with BASIC) and know some of DirectX (up and through 9) libraries in addition to XNA (bit of a step down, but it helps in teaching the basics of 3D programming and networking, which I desperately need since I've only written 2D games).

So, that's me, lol. Obviously some are familiar with my flash programs that I've put up on the site, but those were hardly break-through pieces of software. I don't have any of my 2D games uploaded, but I should do that sometime, heh. I made a really cool 2D one with no art whatsoever (i'm no graphic designer, heh) where you basically have two sides: good vs evil. Each side has two "HeadQuarters" where units periodically spawn out to fight other units (there's riflemen, grenaders, and suicide bombers). In addition, each side has heroes (the units that you as the player control). Each hero has different abilities (one hero even spawns hurricanes, lol). I'll try to post it up if I can figure out how to distribute XNA and upgrade the project from XNA 1.0 to 2.0. This game was my first game ever using C#/XNA--It was an independent study assignment for my CS class.

Chuckiferd
Somniologist
Somniologist

[quote=Bruno]
Code:
(begin (define knows-scheme? (lambda (x) (if (eqv? x 'yes) #t #f))) (if (knows-scheme? 'yes) (begin (display "Yay! :D") 'yay!) (begin (display "No! :(") 'u)))

^This is valid code too.
[/quote]

much, much better

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

Chuck, I like huge, well-nested code, actually. If it's interpreted, I might even run a script to remove the useless whitespace --- if it's compiled, it won't make a difference anyway --- for the sake of running faster, but I like to be able to see what I'm doing.

print