Programming (Computer Geeks, Unite!!!!)

Just click the English flag on the left and it will be in English. I thought you would notice :tongue:

sf.net/projects/dotirc (IRC client I’m making… it’s in work-in-progress stage and it progresses slowly, but it’s a fun project; also, release is outdated, use CVS.)

And for the if condition thing, I used to think an assignment returned a successful/unsuccessful flag too, but then I saw code like: num1=num2=num3 Supposing num3 == 14, then under correct behaviour the function containing that code, num1 would be 14, and not true (A.K.A. 1 or 0xffffffff depending on the compiler/architecture). So it means that an assignment returns the assigned value and that if(x=2) means if(2). On most architectures, 0 means false while any other value means true. That would also be an explanation why assigning 0 returns false. All of this is confirmed by the JavaScript Shell and my own code, that I often compile than disassemble.

Xion, there are languages such as LISP and BF that are different (Even though BF is quite much syntax different)

BF is an esotheric language so it pretty much cannot be compared to anything :smile:
Lisp uses multiple paradigms: it has features of both procedural and functional languages. And pretty awful syntax too :wink:

Hey all, newb here lol :wink:

I learned myself BASIC when my parents bought me a ‘Commodore 64’ when I was 4 lol (does that say more about me or them ?!?) and since then I’m computer obsessed lol, so I guess that makes me a computer geek lol

I know BASIC, C and C++, and Java. Mostly I learned them as part of my university Physics course. Its so fun being taught programming by a Chinese professor who refers to the computer as ‘he’ :razz:

‘You need tell him what you want of him to do’ :razz:

i just BARLEY know VB and i dont plan to venture away from high level anytime soon :user:

But hey i am 13
what do you expect :content:

What are you talking about, it’s the best syntax ever! Seriously, I love Lisp, and I love Scheme, I wish more languages were designed to look like that!

Lisp is an interesting language. I can see why people find the syntax frustrating, but I tend to agree with Bruno. I think it’s quite useful, once you become familiar with it. For instance, there’s no confusion when it comes to order of precedence in your calculations. You’re forced to write the formula in a way that removes the ambiguity.

Also, having all variables (or symbols) represent both a value and a function is interesting. It makes it easier to transplant part of a formula without having it evaluated immediately. You have to be mindful of the syntax at all times (especially when using quote abbreviations (’)), but it’s pretty logical once you get used to it.

I can’t decide if I like the “reference vs. copy” precedence, though. In most languages, assigning one variable to another duplicates the value, while both variables still reference different addresses in memory. In Lisp, you have to explicitly use the “copy” keyword to duplicate a variable, as the default assignment essentially creates a reference. References are great, but I like it to be more obvious that I’m creating one (like the & operator in C, or the ByRef keyword in VB). Just a personal preference, I guess.

i’m 15, been programming C for 4 years. It doesn’t get much lower-level than that, unless you code in binary, writing your own IAT, etc… :o)

(begin (define knows-scheme? [list](lambda (x) [list](if (eqv? x 'yes) [list]#t
#f) )[/list:u] )[/list:u](if (knows-scheme? 'yes) (begin (display “Yay! :D”) 'yay!)
(begin (display “No! :(”) 'uæææ)))[/list:u]
This language is insane :lol:

wow lots of wasted space and time, that is a lot of indentation rules you’d have to learn

I learned LSL, the scripting language for Second Life a few years ago, through the use of online guides and a few classes inside of Second Life. Last year I learned some basic C++ in a class at my high school, enough to make console applications. I’ve recently started trying to learn more on my own, but my computer’s so slow I’m not doing much until I get some more RAM. I’ve found a site that works alright for learning more, but does anyone else recommend any particular source for learning more C++?

Who else knows LOLCODE?

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE “HAI WORLD!”
KTHXBYE

I love that it’s so fuuny.

EDIT:Well,I don’t really know it well, but I know some.

Actually, whitespace is not semantic in Scheme, I wrote the post with intendation because otherwise it would make no sense to anyone reading the post:

(begin (define knows-scheme? (lambda (x) (if (eqv? x 'yes) #t #f))) (if (knows-scheme? 'yes) (begin (display "Yay! :D") 'yay!) (begin (display "No! :(") 'uæææ)))

^This is valid code too.

When it comes to C++, more than any other scripting language, there is truth in the adage that says: Google is your friend. :wink: Seriously, put C++ and a couple of keywords together in the search bar and go for it.

Hah I saw that too! Made me laugh like the whole ■■■■■■■■■ (hey, it’s the name!) did, lol.

I too program! Yay! I’ve been programming on my own since the sixth grade (now a senior in high school). I’ve also been taking computer science courses for all four years at my high school and have gone to state competitions for both computer science and for robotics. Java is definitely my strong language (it’s what’s taught at school), but I also know C++, C#, BASIC, Visual Basic, PHP, HTML, and if it counts, ActionScript. I’m a huge game programming fan (that’s why I went into this stuff in the first place starting with BASIC) and know some of DirectX (up and through 9) libraries in addition to XNA (bit of a step down, but it helps in teaching the basics of 3D programming and networking, which I desperately need since I’ve only written 2D games).

So, that’s me, lol. Obviously some are familiar with my flash programs that I’ve put up on the site, but those were hardly break-through pieces of software. I don’t have any of my 2D games uploaded, but I should do that sometime, heh. I made a really cool 2D one with no art whatsoever (i’m no graphic designer, heh) where you basically have two sides: good vs evil. Each side has two “HeadQuarters” where units periodically spawn out to fight other units (there’s riflemen, grenaders, and suicide bombers). In addition, each side has heroes (the units that you as the player control). Each hero has different abilities (one hero even spawns hurricanes, lol). I’ll try to post it up if I can figure out how to distribute XNA and upgrade the project from XNA 1.0 to 2.0. This game was my first game ever using C#/XNA–It was an independent study assignment for my CS class.

much, much better

Chuck, I like huge, well-nested code, actually. If it’s interpreted, I might even run a script to remove the useless whitespace — if it’s compiled, it won’t make a difference anyway — for the sake of running faster, but I like to be able to see what I’m doing.

I know I like it compiled too, I would have trouble with all that blankspace, if that is what your getting at, that you dislike all the blankspace and indentation

What I’m getting at is quite the opposite. I like the blank space, but am willing to stripe it out of my code after the code is ready, in order to achieve better performance. :smile:

Lets see… I know Flash Actionscript 2, MS-DOS Batch (Not that much though) and a bit of basic html coding. Oh yeah a tiny bit of visual basic too :content: