Martial Arts

All right, I am going to be doing a long trip to Europe, leaving next October. This trip will entail initially with being in Scotland or England for the first six months, working, saving up some money, and then biking across Europe for the next six months, then going back to England or Scotland, and doing it all over again. Now, during the biking portion of the trip, me, my brother, and another guy will be tenting in fields, campgrounds, and any other place that we can. This tenting will involve being unprotected by any lock or door, with only a thin film of polyester to keep another person from getting to us. This makes me a little nervous, as any bastard could get into our tent, attack us, and steal all our stuff. And so, this leads me to think that a valuable asset would be some form of self-defense to protect me and my group from robbery and harm. This summer, I intend to take some self-defense classes, but I have no idea as to what to take. Any pointers?

You’d want something that teaches you quickly, because a lot of martial arts take a few years before you could expect to be reasonably able to use them. Maybe a self defense class…maybe karate…something fairly straightforward I’d say. It’s best to keep in mind that there’s a good chance the people who you might run into will probably have a knife, or worse a gun.

-Hatter

I tryed monkey kung fu once and sucked at it. I almost broke my back trying to do a flip. Once i get the money i’m going into gymnastics then retrying it. I also tryed Ti Chi ( I think i spelled it wrong) that was awsome.

Four and a half years with gaps (right now being a gap :cry: darn school of economics and its daft schedules). Plus a couple of months when I was 11 :tongue: but that doesn’t count.

And yes, some people pick up easily. In Brazil, it’s extremely common that someone gets real good at the acrobatic parts real quick, as we are born with the ginga (in the country of samba, not knowing how to rock back and swing would be seriously awkward), which is why many people over here prefer Bimba’s Regional style (although I think Angola is also beautiful, looking more like a dance, especially when—and that’s no longer common, I’m afraid—when fought in a fast–paced toque).

Not saying in one year you’ll be climbing up walls and doing back flips and stuff, but you’ll already be able to do fancy stuff by the end of the first few semesters. :yes: Although I think what got your friend in love with capoeira is not exactly doing the stylish acrobatics. But you only get to know what makes you fall in love with capoeira by joining a roda yourself. There’s a moment where it stops being “moving your muscles” or “trying to hurt the other person” as it happens with other martial arts, and becomes some sort of language. Like making a piano to a musician, or canvas and paint to an artist, capoeira seems to become a mean to express something, a language, an art. It’s a very weird sensation, when you get good at it and don’t wanna stop playing even though you’re completely exhausted.

does anyone do karate or something of that sort
i used to do performance karate and got up to green belt, and was halfway( ie really bad at) trained with Bō and Nunchuku. It is really cool because my instructors rank high in the Diamond Nationals. Unfortunately i had to move and havnt yet found another place :sad: :bambi: :crying:

I merged this topic into the Martial Arts topic that already existed
/Magnus

I used to do Karate when I was at a young age. I quit after like being an orange belt, because I couldn’t gear up fast enough. We did do a lot of fun activities I enjoyed though.

A quick search brought up a topic that I believe answers your question :tongue:
[url]Martial Arts]

/me had forgotten about this topic.

I actually just today went to my old Dojang for a class. I haven’t been there since I moved (almost 3 years ago), but my master still recognized me and was glad I came. It was fun, and I’m hopping that come August when my financial obligation to where I am ends, I will be able to attend classes there more regularly. I sure miss that school.

Also, since I see I haven’t posted in this topic in a while. I am now a Black Belt (1st Dan) in Tae Kwon Do, and often assist instruct. I can also often be spotted going straight from one dojang to another for extra classes or to help out. :tongue:

/me can’t wait, he has an invitational tournament coming up this Sunday.
Which I was only given 6 days to prepare for >.>

By the way, to those who say martial arts (whether it be TKD, Ishinryu, Karate, Capoeira…and so on) is a sport. It’s not. Yes Tae Kwon Do is in the olympics as a sport, but that is a mere aspect of it. The art itself is an art, a discipline, and a mental set. It bugs me when people say its a sport :razz:

I’ve been in korean karate for 9 years. I have my black belt.
I have been doing MMA for about 1 year.

wait ysim why didnt you lock it then?

and to avoid chatspeak,

i do bo shuriken and Judo self taught, wich is bad cuz i dont learn the techniques but the interwebs have everything.

very true,
notice how people say i “do” martial arts and not
i “play” martial arts.
i just thought that was a little interesting.

Used to be in karate for a while.

Then i got kicked out because i never could hold my position right.

Tae Kwon Do for me! I’ve been doing it 5 years and love it. I’m currently teaching, and it really is an amazing experience. Its a part of me now and I couldn’t imagine living without it. Even injuries haven’t stopped me from gettting on the mat. Its become part of my lifestyle more than a sport to play, or even a discipline :tongue: but a part of me. I feel it in myeslf and I can usually tell when I’m around someone who also does it.
I started on weapons training, and have so far done nunchaku (single and double) staff and escrima.
I began fencing last year with a focus on sabre, but with plenty of foil and epee to balance. Personally I like the sabre because I prefer to flick rather than poke, but its all good! :smile:
I have many tae kwon do friends, a tae kwon do boyfriend, a friend into the mixed martial arts, one that does kendo, another with aikido, and of course my fencing buds. I love it!

Martial arts + gymnastics = tricking! Who here tricks? Im learning fast, and I can’t wait to get to class E and F tricks in a few years.

tai chi

it is becoming really good now, and would be interested in teaching.
think 3 years of experience

I do MMA (mixed martial Arts) at the most amazing school i’ve ever seen. Ever since I was 5 I practiced everyday and became very skilled in just about everything. I frequently go to both performance and fighting tournaments. I usually win my devision :content:. I take passion in my practice. When ever someone asks me what sports I play I always say Martial arts first :content:. Though it is really fun it takes like 10 years to get a black belt. Also our fight team placed second in international championships.

I know my writing is bad but im in a hurry.

I’ve been particularly frustrated with my MA lately. The last couple of times, sitting in class, my instructor has stopped my partner and I, and has proceeded to illustrated what we were doing wrong. This is normal for his teaching style, but recently I have felt so frustrated when he does this - so much so that my own emotion has surprised me. Why so frustrated? Where did it come from?
I see the way we deal with our emotions in MA as inseparable from the art itself. This is why it’s important to find the right art for you, whether it’s Aikido, Karate, Wing Chun (sp?), or Capoira, it has to fit with your personality and how you wish to develop as a person. /rant :tongue:

I’m sorry about that snape.
I’ve been at a few different dojangs myself - as a student and at alot more as a guest. I’ve seen many teaching styles. Thing is I’m stuck at the moment; not really getting anywhere with my training as is, but I hope to change that soon. I know the frustration, and I know its not going to go on much longer. I know my path, I hope you can find yours. Goodluck!

I took Muay Thai for about two years, Jujitsu for six months, and I just started training with my buddy who used to teach Jeet Kune Do. Without the strength these disciplines offered me, I don’t know how I’d have gotten by.

hmm for me i was interested in aikido however i wanted to do some damage back even though the reason i wanted to learn a martial art was for self defence and to defend others. so in the end i decided to go with so bahk do its got a lot of kicks and stuff in it which is really good for me as i am quite flexable and agile. even though i havnt taken lessons i have watched videos on youtube and as soon as i lucid dream i will summmon a master to teach me from these videos not to mention there is no risk of punching a hole through the wall :razz: