Dreaming While Awake

No, I’m not talking about daydreams. Nor sleepwalking. I mean this in the most extreme sense. On a couple of occasions I’ve been completely awake and conscious while dreaming at the same time. The first time was after the first week of marching band (which was sheer torture). I was dreaming that the band director was a lot more strict than he actually was. He told all of us to constantly practice marching and playing and marching and playing. And the one thing he would NOT tolerate was sleep. So, eventually, I woke up. I sat up, in fact, thinking how it was the worst dream I’ve had in a long time because I got not rest. Then, I remember that the director told us we could not sleep under any circumstances, so I kept my eyes wide open, staring at the wall and trying not to go to sleep. At the same time, I was dreaming myself marching and the director yelling. Every once in a while I would realize that I’m /not/ actually marching, but in my room in the middle of the night and that I have school the next day and REALLY need sleep. Then, I’d lay down and promptly sit up again a couple minutes later with my eyes open, dreaming some more. This went on ALL night…

Anyone had this sort of experience? :confused: It’s happened on a few occasions (always with nightmares) and I would love to know how to prevent it. >_<

yep, happened to me as well. I think in a state of relaxation this occurs. Maybe deep deep trance. I dont know what the big deal is though. In my oppinion dreams are dreams.

I mean ask yourself, where the line when i dream becomes a nightmare. There is none in my oppinion, just different themes. Be happy you can reach this trance state.

:content:

The issue isn’t the nightmares, but the utter lack of sleep I get from these weird dreams. >_< It feels like I’ve been up all night when I ‘awake’, which is pretty much true. The panic that comes from these dreams in the waking state is also unpleasant when I want nothing more than to lie down and go back to sleep. :[

Well for me I often day dream and talk to myself. Though I am not speaking to m"yself" more like a perfectly emulated version of a person. This helps me understand things because I am explaining it to them. When I am in this controllable trance I remember everything that I do or think. In a way it gives me a crazy memory because I basically re-live everything that happened to me in my mind moments after. At the most extreem it fells like im lucid. Could this be what you speak of?

Hmmm, maybe. But, I’m pretty sure I was asleep. @_@ Like I saw my dream, even though my eyes were open and staring at the wall (which I also saw, but didn’t give any thought to, like looking at the inside of your eyelids).
Maybe I just imagined the continuation of the dream, and wasn’t quite awake enough to think rationally yet?