EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

Why can we smell/taste things in dreams?

Author  Message 
Smiffy008
Call me Smiffy
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008  Reply with quote

For me, senses in dreams are not very special at all, since the dream is generated by our brain, like our senses, why shouldn't they be accurate?

LD count: 0

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008  Reply with quote

Quote:
Mouse: Do you know what it really reminds me of? Tasty Wheat. Did you ever eat Tasty Wheat?
Switch: No, but technically, neither did you.
Mouse: That's exactly my point! Exactly! Because you have to wonder now: how do the machines really know what Tasty Wheat tasted like, huh? Maybe they got it wrong. Maybe what I think Tasty Wheat tasted like actually tasted like uh.... oatmeal or uh.... or tuna fish. That makes you wonder about a lot of things. You take chicken for example. Maybe they couldn't figure out what to make chicken taste like, which is why chicken tastes like everything!

I have no answer to this question but find it fascinating as well. The last thing I remember tasting in a dream was actually in a dream I had last night. Unfortunately, that thing I tasted was Raid, f-ing flying cockroach in my dream, I'll get it yet! I'm not even kidding, it was horrible.

OddDreamingDreamer
Some odd rank
Somniologist
LD count: 2 MILD 4 DILD

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008  Reply with quote

The last thing I remembered to taste in my dreams was some mint buble gum. that was a week ago. And tonight I did not taste it but I was eating pizza with coffe as a dip, and then in the next dream I had some odd named dish in a restaurant that happened to be what we in english know as a tuna sandwich, and it was at $20! I felt scamed, and wanted to eat dessert but all were at $10.

Why don't we make an experiment? buy some never before tasted food, the more unknown the better, and then eat it in your dreams. Then eat it in real life (of course, if the dream flavor makes sense) and compare!

Current LD goal(s): achieving a steady sleep schedule, then getting proper dream recall
Serith
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2008  Reply with quote

OddDreamingDreamer wrote:

Why don't we make an experiment? buy some never before tasted food, the more unknown the better, and then eat it in your dreams. Then eat it in real life (of course, if the dream flavor makes sense) and compare!

The last thing I tasted in a dream was something never before tasted. I was going to this odd school in my dream, and one of the bonuses of this school was that they'd bring you tea in the morning, but they had some very odd types of tea. The second day there, shortly before I woke up, the tea was made with melted butter and cheese, and tasted very odd, although not quite unpleasant. I don't think I'd ever drink it in real life, since in real life I suspect it would not make a good drink.

print