Not lucid enough... can't take complete control...

Moved from Quest to Adventures as the focus is how to do things and how to stay Lucid. :dragon:

I’ve been successfully using a combination of WBTB and MILD to give myself lucid dreams for a few months now. I usually either become lucid by recognising my dream sign which is my recurring dream that I can fly or float, or by remembering to do a reality check which I guess if the MILD bit…

Anyway, I always do the same thing when I’m lucid and that is fly… Lately I’ve been trying to tell myself to do other things with my mnemonic. One thing I thought of was punching through a brick wall like Agent Smith in the Matrix :happy: Anyway… this morning I became lucid and after flying out of my normal dream into another place I remembered to try punching through a wall. But for some reason I was scared to do it. I eventually did punch the wall really hard and it didn’t hurt of course but it didn’t break…

Then I started to lose lucidity and before I knew it I was just dreaming normally even though it was fun. This seems to be what always happens… I become lucid, try to do something but it doesn’t work and then go back to normal dreaming. Usually the sign that I’m going back to a normal dream is that I can’t fly as fast as I would like to be able to.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice on reaching a higher level of lucidity and being able to do stuff that I’m not sure I can do (like punching the wall)? I have tried the spinning thing a few times but I don’t think it worked.

I have a similiar problem. I have no problem getting lucid now and then, in fact the technique I am using right now works fairly well and I had 11 LDs this month, but it´s difficult to get control. What frustrates me most is that many of my LDs take place in well known environment at nighttime and I cant make it day.

However, I guess it has to do with believing you can do it. I´ve had quite some LDs where I did really cool things such as flying in a spaceship I had summoned, summoning mythical creatures such as dragons and griffins or shooting fireballs. In all those dreams I think I was no more lucid than in the ones where I don´t manage this kind of thing, but I guess the trick is you must be selfassured, you must expect the thing you wanna do to happen. You mustn´t wonder “Can I punch this wall?” you have to think like “I will punch this wall and it´ll work.” It´s a mind set I am still training and it doesn´t work perfectly but sometimes it does. So I´d say it´s all about confidence :smile:

I have this problem too. I’ve been LDing for about two years now, and I can usually manage to have around 3-5 LD’s in a good month. This isn’t exactly where I want it, but it sure is an improvement from where I first started. I don’t have as much control as I would like either, my dreams always end rather fast. But I think it’s all a matter of practice really. I think that if you practice it often, you’re bound to get better. Also, I find that it helps to plan out specific goals for your LD’s beforehand. That way you’re not standing there in the dream like an idiot wondering what you should do. Sometime’s the vast new amount of freedom that you have can be blinding, and it’s good to have some sort of plan.

well you really cant take COMPLETE control… because you would have to not doubt anything ANYTHING in real life and in dreaming, because if you did do that then 1)you would die jumping off of {insert tall object here}. and/or 2)be a babbaling idiot who says yes to everything and says no solution or

i hate it, all of my LD’s are at night, ALL, which makes most things not fun :sad: .

this has happened to me before 2 and in my dream i asked my friend ellis from school and he gave me a chocolate bar and told me it would help me but it didnt and i really want to fly i did it once when i wasnt lucid and it was amazing i woke up and thanked God for the dream i loved it so much and if i was lucid i probebly wouldnt wake up ever again but when i was lucid i couldnt fly high or fast or even summon a broomstick and i thought about it long and hard but nothing happened i was so sad cuz ive wanted to fly on a broomstick since forever

I’ve had it too, but for semi or momentary lucids. once I’m fully lucid the problem changes to being aware of both my physical body and dream body…

Don’t say that. You can take COMPLETE control. The fact that you don’t believe it will make it all the more difficult. You just have to get into the right mindset in your dream. You must completely believe that the laws of the real world don’t apply in the dream world. That anything is possible.
For instance, when trying to punch through a wall, don’t think “In real life this would never work”, think “I can break through this wall easily because this is a dream.”
Alternatively, if you’re having trouble with accepting dream outcomes and always expecting real life outcomes, you can make the dream situation more realistic.
“This wall will break easily because it’s really paper thin.”

Well, how long do you two stay up? :tongue:
Nah, I’m not gonna ask you to change your lifestyle.
What methods have you been using to try and make it day? I can think of a few.

• Turn around and expect the sun to be rising or look at a spot and wait for the sun to rise
  • Go indoors, close the blinds or curtains and then open them again expecting to be blinded by light
  • Shut your eyes and open them again expecting the light
  • Shout “Let there be Light!”

Hope that was helpful.

I also have a low-lucidity level problem… It’s annoying because I know I’m dreaming, I even voice it but I don’t do anything, I just continue with the normal dream.

I’m a bit dodgey on making things appear too. I can make decisions about what to do to an extent but I can seem to change my surroundings. (Unless I spin, in which case the environment changes without me wanting it too =/). The last few lucid dreams I have really been practicing to stay in the for a long time, but the next one I want to work on my mindset. =P

I don’t think it’s possible to have COMPLETE CONTROL in LDs… just a lot of it. o____O

I can’t say I agree, Toy Master.

Why not? If you don’t believe you will have the complete control, then certainly not. Its an adventure inside your own head, a world as complex or simple as you make it. The mind is a very powerful thing. IRL I’ve using mind tricks on myself to get rid of allergies, disciplining it for control of my physical body, and recently I’ve been working to get over mental blocks I didn’t know I had…
The brain controls the body, right? Controlling a dream should be total and absolute…once the mind is disciplined enough to get to that level. I’m not claiming I’m there yet at all, but don’t ever think its not possible.