How to forget about horrible, disturbing dream?

Well last night I had the most disgusting dream ever. I don’t want to go into details but it made me feel sick, the worst kind of stuff I could imagine.

I feel really terrible now and I can’t get the images out of my head. I was wondering if any of you had some tips about how to make it fade into my memory. I just don’t want to think about it anymore.

I am the type of person who easily disgusts if he see or think something disgusting. So i understand how you feel.

I just try to forget it… i think it helps when you eat to read something at the same time, so to disturb your mind with something else and do not let it imagine the dream you saw.

Also i think that it will go away by itself, so you don’t to worry :smile:

Try to distract yourself with something else such as watching TV. Or go for a nice walk outside and look at the all the beautiful things that are blooming now that Spring has arrived.

Alternatively, perhaps take some time either meditating or quitely sit and contemplate why you are so disgusted with what you saw. Is it a refection of what you see in the real world or a memory you had long ago? If you can find the reason why you are disgusted, just accept it as it is and know that there is no way that this disgusting thing can harm or bother you.

I would say it is more beneficial to think about why it bothers you and accept it as MR Happy said.

Trying to forget it means you are actively acknowledging it and it could, unintentionally, incubate a repeat dream. Alternatively just taking you mind off it by doing other things.

I have many dreams that involving things that in the real world would sicken and disgust me, but in dream I understand that it’s not real and it is just that darker part of myself, something we all have, that is to expose it’s self. In dream I accept it, it know it’s not hurting me by letting my subconscious act out, it’s hurting no one else either. The things I have done in my dreams are the sort of thing that in real life, I would probably have a more emetic reaction.

Understanding why and accepting it can be more beneficial to your emotional and mental well-being.

Since dream memory is so fragile if as soon as you wake up you get up very quickly as soon as you remember something you don’t want to and don’t dwell on it trying to remember the course of events like you would with a normal dream, piecing together what happened. Hopefully it’s not seared into your brain. Eventually you’ll forget about it and if you do remember it later it won’t seem as bad, the more time that passes between after you wake up.

Personally, I do a form of “immersion therapy”. I kinda concentrate on it a lot, keep thinking of it, and eventually, it just doesn’t disturb me any more.

I did that once for some homework in RE about abortion. Ended up looking at pictures of aborted babies, and I couldn’t get to sleep, and it affected me really badly in the day too, so I decided to keep looking at pictures of them until it stopped bothering me. It worked!

Although I do now have a very strong stance against abortion.

THat’s also a good idea. Just as good really. It just depends on what type of person you are. My dreams don’t disturb me really ever so I don’t have this problem. I was just trying to give advice to people who do. Now that I think about it though. I’m probably more like the type of person who would do the “immersion therapy”.

I’d say just shrug it off! If it keeps coming back then maybe you need to work it out, if it does not, it’s not worth your time anyway. If you’re not ready to deal with it you’re not ready to deal with it, so only do so if it won’t go away and you don’t seem to have any other option.

They all eventually fade away for me. I remember them, but they aren’t as disturbing anymore… even if they’re sick.

(Yeah, go read my DJ… Killing a dog with your hands isn’t a very pleasant experience in a dream, but I don’t really care about it, nor do I remember the feelings I had while dreaming or immediately after I woke up.

Thank you for your advice everyone, after following some of it I feel a lot better today. I made this topic quite soon after waking up so it was still fresh and shocking but I panicked and got scared so I asked for help anyway. It still comes into my head but a lot less than yesterday and it doesn’t affect me as much now. Thanks for the help.