Character Assisted Lucid Dreaming - CALD Part IV

Haha, well, that might be your opinion, but maybe your mind just works differently!

What moves you?

Music? Art? Computers? The people around you…? Dreams?
Ect :P.
Find the feelings or sensations they evoke and try to see the humanity ( or object-life, animality, etc, whatever suits your fancy) in it! :stuck_out_tongue:
Then, you have a character ^^~
Maybe even a figure you could imagine evoking those sensations?

Well, in any event, there are lots of ways of making characters-- if that’s what your statement refers to ^^~ Otherwise, just talk to stimulating people! Gets the mind going!
Mental stimulation = more spontaneous thought = creativity, imagination? XP~

Any chance I can get into this too? I’ve been meaning to get into CALD for quite a while. feels like a little n00b :mrgreen:

I have two prominent characters right now, both of whom have appeared in my dreams.

Shehlow: A female demi-dragon. Forest green. I’ve known her for atleast four years. Sarcastic and curses a lot, but full of love. Tends to read over my shoulder and make random comments about our spiraling society.

“Theo”: A male Burmese python (dark morph). I’m still trying to settle on a good name, but Theo serves as a good nickname for now. A fairly new character, only about 8 days old, but has already appeared in a lucid dream. Easy-going nature. Very patient.

I hope it’s not a big deal that my characters aren’t… human. I’ve tried human characters and it just doesn’t work out. I had a long-time character,a girl named Rodevian, but the problem was that I wanted her to be exactly like me. I’ve tried letting human characters just “come to me” but I guess I’ve read too much fantasy, because they always turn out to be shape-shifters, and then completely animals after a while. :tongue:

Hey there hunaynay!
Haha, welcome to CALD, if you you want to join :3

It’s not a problem at all if your characters aren’t human! In the original tutorial, it was (briefly) discused that ANYTHING can be concidered a characters as long as a personality applies :stuck_out_tongue: (Even objects)

Your characters sound well off in personality XD It’d be cool for introduction and progress reports if you chose to gave them! :smiley:

At the very least, none of my main characters are “humans” XD
Feel welcome, and if you need help, post up! :smiley:

~Happy Days
Tal :3

Sai: None of us are humans either.

Morph: joking tone So that’s why we haven’t been able to give Mecha any LDs yet. :tongue:

Hahaha XD

Talon: Completely Agree, totally. laughs

D: Lacking in amount of hours to sleep as of late, so I haven’t practiced the lucidity-bit of CALD in awhile. Hoping a break will come along soon when a calm period will let me jump back into lucids ^^~
Always moving along with character development though! Get your friends with characters together, expose your characters to all that they can! XD
It might not all be pleasent, but new experiences always help growth one way or another D:
^^~

Hi all, I’m back in business, see the Character Chat topic for my return to this interesting subject. ;D

Haha, :3 wonderful to have you back :3

Wow, looks like I’ve got a lot of reading to do. This thread and the previous ones seems very interesting. Guess I’ll start at the first. grabs some popcorn

Two quick questions Talon.

My first post I made was asking other members here what they thought of and if they ever experienced recurring dream characters that displayed more than the average intelligence and became friends with them. So you created these characters from scratch? Would you mind sharing you opinions on the topic of “special” dream characters in my thread?

Haven’t read too much of the first thread, but from what I have read and the short tutorial you provided, I may be wrong, but it seems that you “talk” to your created dream characters while you’re awake and give them something to say. Please tell me this isn’t the case and whenever you interact with them is when you dream.

Cheers.

Actually, anyone who’s created a character should also be able to interact with it while they’re awake also, after all, most of the creative process happens while you’re awake. Some even let their characters interact with each other in the playground’s character chats.

If anything other than using it for trying to LD I find it quite a fun and interesting subject.

Sorry for the late reply, it’s been quite hectic!

Actually though, NewReality, Indigo and Luke have my opinion down on day-life interaction quite well :3
It IS true that characters are created from scratch, and that my interaction with them is mainly out of dreams.
If you’d like to think of it as such, “simulating” interaction with my characters is helpful in their development, at least early on. I personally prefer stories that are character-driven, with highly realistic mannerisms in their figures depicted.

I try to stress the point that the perception of physical reality should never be mixed with the non-physical planes :C. However, many successful manga artists with (I personally find) AMAZINGLY appealing character mannerisms, (such as the creator of Bleach) find that treating character as you would real people stops the inhibitions making them puppet-like. If you want the exact quote, I can shovel through my shonen jumps, but I don’ think it necessary XD.

I don’t interact directly much with my characters on a constant basis anymore, Indigo is quite right in that some let their characters interact with others-- Mostly I observe interaction between my characters and my friend’s.

For the most part, CALD almost seems to have become a character development tech. with lucid dreaming applications (that I’ve noticed most users have less interest in XD) with others to interact with as a part of the process of making the refined.

I’ll be searching up your thread now! :3

Happy lucids, and sorry for the late reply again guys!

~Tal

I wish I met more people in my dreams. The only people there are usually people I know IRL, or random DCs who I don’t know very well and play a part in one dream and are never seen again…

I used to run a Roleplay community a couple of years back, and I was thinking of taking my character from that community and use as my character for this technique since I know him so well. I was also thinking of recreating some of the other characters from that community too, could be a nice reuinion ^^
So here it is
Name: Unknown (He was referred to as ‘The source of wisdom’ :razz: For now he’ll just be called ‘Sours’, more humane than Source)
He’s a centaur, a powerful one. He carries a staff and wisdom and knowledge about almost all things. In person he is very calm, and he never has any doubts on what is the right call. He has a deep spiritual connection, and even though he might seem very boring and slow… he is not :razz:
He wants to appear harsh, but once you get to know him he get’s very friendly and eased.

I’m not all clear on this technique, what would be my next step?

Some might do that, and I think most do at first, but that just makes them puppets. When I interact with them I let them do the talking, not me. (in fact they tend to get annoyed if I start putting words in their mouth, which is unfortunately fairly easy to slip into at times)

Just talking to him is a good place to start. Like any other LDing technique it helps to practice regularly.

Wow Mecha you’ve got this down to a science ^^~

I agree about the continued, and more frequent interaction, it would be a good way to continue on :3

And don’t worry Kaybee! It’s very similar for me :stuck_out_tongue: I never seem to have recurrent, or memorably new characters, and I’ve only been able to summon characters into my dream a few times (though it’s not the same as what you’ve mentioned). I meet much the same sorts of people in my dreams…

Hmmm.

brainstorm
Basic steps…?
Character creation -> consistant interaction -> intergrated lucidity practice(RCs,before bed chats, consistant intergration of the lucidity subject in conversation) = Basic CALD steps…? XD

I think, CALD is greatly variable in ways of style for each person, but the framework must fundamentally be the same in that sense XD

Happy lucids!
~Tal

Since I write a lot of stories, I can easily create a character and let it be. However to actually make them seem… ‘real’ (for want of a better word) it’s much harder.

I mean once you get a basic personality and mannerisms formed in your mind, you can ‘say’ something, and you can tell what they would say based on aforementioned personality and mannerisms. After a while it gets easier, and they seem to gain a life of their own. That’s how it goes, really. Just remember, it’s only your imagination, not reality.

Yikes Talon!

I wanted to send this in a PM but because my post count is below 5 it won’t let me.

I just wanted to apologise because i put some info of this technique in a small thread on dreamviews. I would have gladly asked for permission first but i didn’t notice the line which said that you wanted people to ask. I did give you, and LD4all the credit through.

I really love this technique, and i’ve started my own character - I just hope this means you dont hate me D:

Oh no of course not ^^~
I’m just happy its getting around XD
It’d be nice if you could redirect people here if they have questions though :3
Glad you have your own character now! Hope you keep us updated ^^~

~Tal