Warm Milk

i heard that if you have a bannana and a glass of milk RIGHT before you sleep, it helps your dream recall

Well guys this recipe didnt seem to have any improvement in my dream recall :tongue: …infact it was too hot in australia so i had a hard time gettin too sleep :sad: …I’ll give it another try tonight and give you guys an update…

I don’t think tyrosine is actually in milk, tryptophan I know for sure but after some scouring around I can find nothing on tyrosine being present naturally in milk. From my experience with tyrosine in tablet form though it has no noticeable stimulatory effects either way. I was actually using it as a work out supplement, works pretty damn well for reducing fatigue and increasing stamina but glutamine does that as well :smile:

As a general note I also think the amount of tryptophan you’re getting into to your system from a mug of milk is going to be completely negligible. If you want the mild mild sedative effect of tryptophan before sleep buy it in tablet form(unfortunately can’t here in aus anymore :sad: ) It’s actually a pretty common myth about turkey and milk, look into it.

I still have a warm mug of milk most nights before sleep, anything warm and easy to drink is relaxing even more so if you think it’s going to put you out. I also find sometimes it can work the opposite way if i drink it too fast, its partly like a food so it gives you energy that can perk you up a bit temporarily getting rid of those tired feelings.

Milk nutrients, proteins etc list:

Energy

Energy is required for everyday living including all of our bodily functions — muscular activity, growth, muscle repair, concentration and fuel for everyday activity. Milk provides energy from high quality protein, slowly absorbed carbohydrate and fat.
Protein

Cow’s milk is recognised for providing high quality protein because it contains ALL of the essential amino acids that our bodies need in the right amounts.

Protein is made up of amino acids. There are more than 20 common amino acids of which 9 are essential. In humans, different combinations of amino acids can make proteins that have very specific functions in the body. Protein is needed to make hair, nails, muscles and enzymes, for example!

Whey protein

Cow’s milk protein is made up of 80% casein and 20% whey. Did you know emerging evidence suggests that bioactive nutrients in whey protein may help to reduce the risk of certain types of cancers and may also play an important role in immunity? It has also been shown that whey may assist with muscle repair and growth in association with strength training2.
Carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are the most important fuel source of the body. Milk contains a natural sugar, lactose which provides approximately 30% of the energy of regular milk. Lactose may assist with calcium absorption, particularly in infants3. Lactose also has a low glycaemic index. There are small quantities of other natural sugars in milk (glucose & galactose) which also provide energy.

Ca - Calcium

Calcium is important to help build and maintain strong bones & teeth. It is also necessary for the normal functioning of nerves, heart & muscles. Additionally, an adequate intake of calcium may be important in maintaining healthy blood pressure.

Vitamin A

Vitamin A (also called retinol) is needed for healthy skin and eyes, bones and for reproduction. The amount of vitamin A in milk depends on the amount of fat in the milk. Regular milk contains more vitamin A than reduced, low fat or skim milk.

Vitamins D, E & K

These vitamins are naturally found in low concentrations in milk. Vitamin D is important for maintaining a healthy skeleton throughout life as it can assist calcium uptake into your bones. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which can help boost immunity and fight free radicals. Vitamin K is necessary for blood clotting. Because these are fat soluble vitamins, regular milk will contain higher levels than reduced, low fat or skim milk.

Vitamin B2

Vitamin B2 (also called riboflavin) assists in releasing energy from our food so that it can be used by the body.

Vitamin B3

Vitamin B3 (also called niacin) promotes healthy skin and nerves, and a healthy digestive tract. It is also involved in metabolism and energy production in the body. Milk contains tryptophan — an amino acid, which can be used by the body to produce vitamin B3.
Vitamin B6

Vitamin B6 helps build new body proteins. Protein is important for the growth and maintenance of many parts of the body. It is needed for building healthy muscles, when combined with a balanced diet and regular physical activity.
Vitamin B12

Vitamin B12 is required for healthy blood, nerve development and for DNA synthesis (in conjunction with folate). The main source of vitamin B12 in the diet is foods of animal origin, including milk. Milk can provide a significant amount of this essential nutrient.
P - Phosphorus

Phosphorus is important for bone health. It plays a central role in metabolism and is also vital for healthy teeth.
Mg - Magnesium

This mineral is essential for many of the body’s enzymes. These enzymes are involved in the production of protein from amino acids and play a role in the metabolism of fat and carbohydrate. Magnesium is also an important bone mineral and may play a role in heart health.
K+ - Potassium

Potassium is essential for water and electrolyte balance in the body. It is needed for proper functioning of all cells, including nerves. Adequate dietary potassium intake may also be helpful in maintaining healthy blood pressure.
Zn - Zinc

Zinc is a trace element required for many of the enzymes involved in processes such as the production of DNA & protein. Zinc is also essential for healthy growth and development, wound healing & immunity.
Se - Selenium

Antioxidants are one of the body’s defence mechanisms. Selenium acts as an antioxidant in the body, helping to protect cells in the body from the damaging effects of oxidation.
CLA - Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)

Conjugated Linoleic Acid is a natural component in milk fat. Research in animals suggests that CLA may have a beneficial effect on cancer cells. More research is underway investigating the potential role of CLA in reducing the risk of breast cancer.

(pura.com.au/health_ad_nutrients.aspx)

I tried warm milk a couple of times and it seems to be contraproductive for me… I never had a lucid dream, when I drank warm milk befor going to bed and ususally my Dream Recall also is very bad on that nights.

Recently I started to log for everyday, what things I did before going to sleep, how long I slept and how many dreams and LDs I had. I wanted to improve my dream recall and LDing… so I thought, I should make a habit out of drinking warm milk before going to bed, because it is said, that this would help.

then for some time I did not drink any warm milk in the evenings. sometimes I was too busy doing other things, sometimes I just forgot it. but though I got good dream recall and some LDs… Then, yesterday, I again drank a cup of warm milk, thinking "wow, my DR is quite good without it and I also have had many LDs, when I now drink the milk it will be EVEN BETTER!

this night my dream recall crashed down completely. after awakening I did not recall any dream. during the day I got some tiny fragments from dreams.

How does warm milk differ from cold milk (besides temperature :razz:)?

Anyway, warm milk does make me feel good–kind of drowsy if I drink enough. Drink it before I take a nap or go to bed and, yeah, it works to relax me–I’ve gotten a lucid dream or two out of this trick. It works better than candy for me, that’s for sure :good:!

While the prospect of adding honey to luke warm milk seems rather disgusting I suppose i will try it tonight and see if I get results. As for the sleeping pills in the milk… what were you thinking?

Sleeping pills will make you sleep deeper… Don’t use them :razz:

i tried the honey and warm milk. tasted EXCELLENT. i lay down for a while but i didnt really get too tired. the “tired” effect that it gave me wore off before i fell to sleep.

due to misuse in the past it takes quite a number of any sleeping aid and a couple of shots of liquer to even register a buzz anymore.

maybe thats got something to do with it :sad:

White sugar? is that like a plain sugar or is that a powdered sugar?

tryptophan makes you sleepy.
melatonin makes you sleepy.

milk contains tryptophan which is a precursor to melatonin.
commercial tryptophan is made by fermentation of soy. it is likely that soy and other milks will have low amounts of tryptophan, unless digested by something (like a cow, or bacteria) that will do it for you.

“But if you want seratonin in your brain just pop a prozac, or take some extasy, its far more easier than the milk method”

A). Prozac is a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor.
B). MDMA is not. MDMA releases seratonin from your brain.

I don’t know where you’re getting these facts but it’s a) dagnerous to give out information for both chemicals since they are both scheduled, and b) one is illegal.

Night time milk? Just buy melatonin. It’s cheaper. You can put it in a glass of milk if it makes you feel good. Melatonin is active in extremely small doses.

Skim milk will do the same thing as full cream milk.

tryptophan is located as a substructure in casein, a milk protein. milk fat is a lipid. not only do they have nothing to do with each other, but they don’t even digest the same way.

Heating casein (milk) up is likely to promote protein denaturation (breaking casein up into smaller things, including tryptophan)

Milk does not -contain- morphine. It does contain several protein sequences called casomorphins, such as H-Tyr-Pro-Phe-OH. these will act upon opioid receptors. (milk will make you sleepy, feel slightly less pain, and can be addictive). These morphins can also cause problems for ADHD and other mental illnesses.

Feed_my_brain, danokeefe, careful with the nutmeg, use it sparingly for flavouring. bad stuff happens with a lot of nutmeg.
i’d recommend cinnamon instead. flavour is better too, imho. :smile:

White sugar is plain sugar. Brown sugar has some molasses/other heavier constituents still present.

I dont mean to sound all high and mighty, i’m on your team guys, but seriously. some people are offering information about things that they don’t even spell correctly. i’d like to remind everyone that a pinch of good personal research is worth an ounce of forum posts.

Hello again,

Thanks! And on the topic of nutmeg, I believe it is added for the very mild effects. The liver can process it fine unless it is in large doses, although I thought it tasted WONDERFUL without the nutmeg and with it this was terrible.

nutmeg constituents metabolise to substituted methylenedioxy-based products, similar to metabolites of MDMA. In fact, rabbits (who have slightly different enzymes) actually catlyse the conversion of nutmeg oil into MDA or MDMA (can’t remember which one).(don’t feed nutmeg oil to your pets!)

I would like to think that nutmeg would act as a mild seratonin release mechanism such as mdma. It is possible the reuptake/rebound of this may cause dreams to be more vivid, however It is my belief that sacrificing anything from your body/mind for the benefits of lucid dreaming is [cheating, wrong, unnatural, take your pick].

Luckily I DESPISE the taste of nutmeg! But would taking 1/4 teaspoon in milk cause permanent change in seratonin levels?

:hmmm:
I have tried honey in warm milk, and it works a little bit, but last night I had a banana just before drinking it, and I had very vivid dreams! From now on I think I will stick to having a banana, and warm milk with honey before going to bed. Very effective.

No. In fact those quantities probably wouldnt have much effect at all.

Nutmeg is a mild and long acting hallucinogen. It is toxic at about 7.5 grams. It produces hallucinations at 1gram, but usually takes 1-3 hours to take effect. It probably works because of that.
More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg#Risks_and_toxicity
I was on prozac for almost a year. I had almost no memories of dreams, and was often drowsy during the day, even causing me to fall asleep randomly in class and at other times, despite 8-10 hours of sleep. there is no reason to take it for ld.

I know milk is good for Ld’ing in general, is this the same for chocolate milk? I can’t stand normal milk :tongue:

Chocolate is supposed to help LDing, so it might, i’m not sure.

Seriously, chocolate contains some chemicals, as well as increases serotonin levels, which all help with dreaming. As for chocolate milk, well, I guess it would depend on the chocolate content. Whether it was real chocolate or just flavouring etc.

Ok, so I had warm milk with the honey, and it took me over an hour to get to sleep, and no LD. :eh:
I’m not going to try it again, at least not for a while :happy: