QUICK! I need an answer ASAP (about Melatonin)

I’m about to go to sleep… I don’t know why I didn’t ask this earlier.

I bought a bottle of 3 mg melatonin about a week ago from CVS. I took a pill of 3 mg melatonin that night and found that it kept me awake. I took a half pill the night afterwards and slept like a baby…

Then I read the other day that 50 mg of melatonin dramatically increases REM sleep and vividness of dreams. I am in no way going to swallow more than three pills at a time…

So, as an experiment, I want to try three pills tonight (don’t worry, I only take a pill two to three times a week and if this experiment is successful, I’ll only do it once every other week), but I was wondering if it would again keep me awake even though I took more than 3 mg.

Please answer as quickly as possible.

Kthxbai. :3

I say expiriment. Plus if I accidently kill you I don’t wanna be responsbile. However the wikipedia says that thatll fuck your circadian rythm, and has a slight risk of dependancy.

what are you using this for again?

:eh:

Generally, to increase the amount of REM sleep time…

and to have some pills that will help me sleep if I have an insomnia night (which happens twice every month and sets me off for daaaayssss).

I’m aware of dependency, but I don’t plan on popping a pill every night… just once every other day. Last night, I felt tired enough already to sleep on my own and if it’s too late (midnight or later) I don’t take one because I want to be able to wake up in the morning. :smile:

ok then fine just go ahead try. BTW heres the prognosis fertile myrtle.

Dreaming

Many supplemental melatonin users have reported an increase in vivid dreaming. Extremely high doses of melatonin (50mg) dramatically increased REM sleep time and dream activity in both narcoleptics and those without narcolepsy.[44]

read the guidelines

I have some 3mg pills for myself, and they don’t seem to be screwing with me. They don’t really keep me awake, and they only increase recall and vividness in my later dreams. So, I think you may have been too excited about the potential effects or something else was effecting your sleep, because they work just fine with me. I think you should be fine with higher doses though. As stated before, I’m not responsible for overdoses either.

I don’t get excited about anything… I have read in an article that some users are kept awake by 3-5 mg doses.

Btw, LucidEpiphany, I read that exact article the day I bought the pills. :wink: I made sure to do my homework to make sure I wasn’t killing myself.

Melatonin is a naturally occurring chemical so I’m sure your fine with taking quite a lot of it.

It’s meant to put you to sleep, so it shouldn’t be keeping you up.

Thx guys.

I’m going to pop three pills (teehee, I sound like an addict already :wink:) and go to sleepy-bye.

Any more help and information is appreciated… Night to all!!

And to all a good night! … Er… morning.

Well, it kept me awake again. I fell asleep for about an hour last night and had a few dreams (including some LDs), but I can’t recall much more details than that.

When I finish this bottle, I’m going to try some Valerian root next…

why don’t you just do the norm and forget these insta-pills everyone seems to have to have now adays. nothing like the achievement of the old natural ways.

I do achieve it the old natural way and have multiple times refers LucidEpiphany to her join date.

I’m just experimenting, gosh!! :bored:

lol sorry didnt mean that to come off as rude, i was just saying… hows it going anyway?

Try L-tryptophan pills. It’s an amino acid that is really helpful for getting to sleep.

i used to take melatonin nightly and when i ran through my first bottle i didn’t buy anymore, with no dependency at all afterwards.

once me and my roomates took 12 melatonins and some valerian root and just laid around on couches talking that night…we called it the lazy dude lounge lol

Why don’t you give up melatonine? I have once read a text in some kind of magazine, which was an interview with someone I have never heard about, nor about lucid dreaming. He said he had had a dream after his first use melatonine, with Asclepius saying “Don’t take melatonine. It’s a poison.”

does anyone still believe greek mythology? thats kind of crazy, but it’s a naturally occurring hormone and has been found to safely deal with sleep disorders and doesn’t usually cause dependence (but can).

i think people’s dream are relative to themselves and how they view things, such as this person having some anxiety before taking the melatonin hence the ascelpius p.s.a…

Yeah, but, you know, why do you need to cure yourself and mess your dreams, when you have no serious sleep disorders? That’s like doing amphetamine because coffee works too strongly.

i’m just saying it is a safe hormone to use. who said anyone is “dreaming too strongly”? and amphetamines are clearly unhealthy, whereas melatonin is not.

if you’d like to make your dreams more vivid to increase your chances of becoming lucid in a dream by taking 1 safe pill i say go for it, it worked for me in the past.

that’s weird, 50mg?

i wouldn’t have ever thought of such a high dose so i googled it and found this…

can’t link to products but, pills sold in 50mg doses.

now, geeze.

i tell you what like 16 mg or so is a ton for me.

now

i’m not against using a tool now and then to enhance something, but to take all the time could create some problems in subtle levels.

not so much meltaonin but i’m reminded of 5-htp
lots of people liked it so i tried it, but it made me start feeling “flat” and then when i quit i had minor withdrawals for a while.

headchey seratonin kind of feelings both on and off it.