Rainbow Connection

Warm Milk

Author  Message 
n00dle

LD count: 8

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

tryptophan makes you sleepy.
melatonin makes you sleepy.

milk contains tryptophan which is a precursor to melatonin.
commercial tryptophan is made by fermentation of soy. it is likely that soy and other milks will have low amounts of tryptophan, unless digested by something (like a cow, or bacteria) that will do it for you.

"But if you want seratonin in your brain just pop a prozac, or take some extasy, its far more easier than the milk method"

A). Prozac is a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor.
B). MDMA is not. MDMA releases seratonin from your brain.

I don't know where you're getting these facts but it's a) dagnerous to give out information for both chemicals since they are both scheduled, and b) one is illegal.

Night time milk? Just buy melatonin. It's cheaper. You can put it in a glass of milk if it makes you feel good. Melatonin is active in extremely small doses.

Skim milk will do the same thing as full cream milk.

tryptophan is located as a substructure in casein, a milk protein. milk fat is a lipid. not only do they have nothing to do with each other, but they don't even digest the same way.

Heating casein (milk) up is likely to promote protein denaturation (breaking casein up into smaller things, including tryptophan)

Milk does not -contain- morphine. It does contain several protein sequences called casomorphins, such as H-Tyr-Pro-Phe-OH. these will act upon opioid receptors. (milk will make you sleepy, feel slightly less pain, and can be addictive). These morphins can also cause problems for ADHD and other mental illnesses.

Feed_my_brain, danokeefe, careful with the nutmeg, use it sparingly for flavouring. bad stuff happens with a lot of nutmeg.
i'd recommend cinnamon instead. flavour is better too, imho. smile

White sugar is plain sugar. Brown sugar has some molasses/other heavier constituents still present.

I dont mean to sound all high and mighty, i'm on your team guys, but seriously. some people are offering information about things that they don't even spell correctly. i'd like to remind everyone that a pinch of good personal research is worth an ounce of forum posts.

Current LD goal(s): Achieve stable lucidity; Have a conversation with myself

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
LucidGuru
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Hello again,

Thanks! And on the topic of nutmeg, I believe it is added for the very mild effects. The liver can process it fine unless it is in large doses, although I thought it tasted WONDERFUL without the nutmeg and with it this was terrible.

n00dle

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

nutmeg constituents metabolise to substituted methylenedioxy-based products, similar to metabolites of MDMA. In fact, rabbits (who have slightly different enzymes) actually catlyse the conversion of nutmeg oil into MDA or MDMA (can't remember which one).(don't feed nutmeg oil to your pets!)

I would like to think that nutmeg would act as a mild seratonin release mechanism such as mdma. It is possible the reuptake/rebound of this may cause dreams to be more vivid, however It is my belief that sacrificing anything from your body/mind for the benefits of lucid dreaming is [cheating, wrong, unnatural, take your pick].

LucidGuru
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Luckily I DESPISE the taste of nutmeg! But would taking 1/4 teaspoon in milk cause permanent change in seratonin levels?

Sonia
COOKIE MONSTER
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

nervous
I have tried honey in warm milk, and it works a little bit, but last night I had a banana just before drinking it, and I had very vivid dreams! From now on I think I will stick to having a banana, and warm milk with honey before going to bed. Very effective.

n00dle

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Quote:

Luckily I DESPISE the taste of nutmeg! But would taking 1/4 teaspoon in milk cause permanent change in seratonin levels?

No. In fact those quantities probably wouldnt have much effect at all.

maxplanes

PostPosted: Fri 01 Dec, 2006  Reply with quote

Nutmeg is a mild and long acting hallucinogen. It is toxic at about 7.5 grams. It produces hallucinations at 1gram, but usually takes 1-3 hours to take effect. It probably works because of that.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg#Risks_and_toxicit y
I was on prozac for almost a year. I had almost no memories of dreams, and was often drowsy during the day, even causing me to fall asleep randomly in class and at other times, despite 8-10 hours of sleep. there is no reason to take it for ld.

SlyPT
In the shadows...
Lucid Initiate
LD count: W.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

I know milk is good for Ld'ing in general, is this the same for chocolate milk? I can't stand normal milk

The HB
LD4all addict
LD4all addict
LD count: 11

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

Chocolate is supposed to help LDing, so it might, i'm not sure.

Seriously, chocolate contains some chemicals, as well as increases serotonin levels, which all help with dreaming. As for chocolate milk, well, I guess it would depend on the chocolate content. Whether it was real chocolate or just flavouring etc.

echuta
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: about 77

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

Ok, so I had warm milk with the honey, and it took me over an hour to get to sleep, and no LD. eh
I'm not going to try it again, at least not for a while :D

print