You lost The Game : )
cookie lover
LD count: 21/2 :D

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

I just read..

Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
(can't wait til the next one comes out!!)
by Stephanie Meyer
AND another one of her books The Host smile

Wissam
Change is good
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

Sarah wrote:
I just read..

Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
(can't wait til the next one comes out!!)
by Stephanie Meyer
AND another one of her books The Host smile

I've heard of those books. All the girls in my school were driving me crazy going on about some character called 'Edward'.

Lately, I've been reading a lot of Mario Puzo books the author of the bestseller Godfather.I've read Fools Die and The Fortunate Pilgrim, 2 non-mafia books and The Last Don a mafia book similar to the Godfather.

TwilightDreamer
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I have just finished reading Paulo Coelho's book "Diary of a Magus", and I must say I find it extremely elevating. I started reading it because I knew it was fantasy-oriented, but I ended up with something different.

I started to think the "How good it could be to walk such paths" when I understood I already do, we all do (here): We dream. The path to dreaming is very similar to the pilgrimage to Santiago - With the only difference being that you don't need a single guide in the way.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

funny, i really didn't like that book. i disliked it with a passion, in fact!:-D

right now i'm (still) reading A General History of Pyrates and L'Aventure Grecque (Greek Adventure, a book on ancient greek history). the book on Nietzsche's life & thought i was reading is awesome, i recommend it to everyone with even the slightest interest in philosophy. if you can't be bothered checking in my last post in this topic, i'm talking about Walter Kaufmann's Nietzsche.

wnvoss
Let it down
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I'm reading Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. My father's colleague moved to the Netherlands a few weeks ago and left a box packed full of science fiction books outside his office door. We gladly picked them up. grin

Bruno.. I saw that Nietzsche book at the bookstore when I picked up The Gay Science. It sounds like a good introduction to his work before actually reading it, no?

L.Dreamer13
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 10

I'm reading Troy series by David Gemmell currently on Lord of The Silver Bow the second book, cant get enough of historical epic's. smile Read Conn Igguldens Wolf of the Plains reccently too, brilliant book.

Sakoda
That's my name.
cookie lover
Scribes
LD count: '09 about 4
Location: Terhe is an icaseinrng duobt of the rtiealy of tihs rlieaty

I'm at "the fires of heaven" In the wheel of time series now ..( i know the shadow rising quite well .. i started originally with it ..)
addidtionally i am still reading LOTR (didn't have much time reading in the last weeks ..)
also i am planning to start Tad williams otherland series ... anybody tell me if it's good ?

hermione
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 6

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I recently read The Picture of Dorian Gray and it was amazing!!! I would STRONGLY recommend it! Right now i'm reading The Two Princesses of Bamarre which is by the author of Ella Enchanted (Gail Carson Levine) and it's brilliant! I would also recommend it since it is VERY good.

Also, in response to Sarah quite a few posts above me and to anywone who reads the Twilight series in general, omg i love Twilight!!!!! and Edward Cullen!!! XD k now that thats out of the way....lol

Zig
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I'm reading The Kingdom Keepers. I'm an avid Disney Fan.

Wissam
Change is good
Dream Deity

L.Dreamer13 wrote:
I'm reading Troy series by David Gemmell currently on Lord of The Silver Bow the second book, cant get enough of historical epic's. smile Read Conn Igguldens Wolf of the Plains reccently too, brilliant book.

I was interested by Lord of the Silver Bow so I decided to Buy it so that I can read it. So I bet you can tell how furious I was when I found out it was the second book in a series! Now I have to spend all eternity looking for Wolf on the Plains!

G. atlanticus
Shiny Space Slug
Dream Deity
LD count: 23

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I just finished reading Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicals. Excellent. smile I also just finished the Uglies triology (Uglies, Pretties, and Specials). Not bad for light, fluffy reading. I'll pick up the sequel, Extras, eventually.

At the moment I'm reading Spaceland (a parody of Abbot's Flatland) and Darwin's Ghost (almost like a rewrite of Darwin's Origin of Species but with modern examples and more detail about the modes of inheritance.)

Current LD goal(s): *formerly known as hunaynay
Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover

finally finished On the Road, now on Run by Ann Patchett.

fun fact, i get so see Ms. Ann Patchett in August.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

Ryan: i saw an edition of the original scroll of On the Road for sale the other day (original as in, three times as big as the original edition, and the names are still the real names so Sal is Jack (and he's québécois, rather than italian) and Dean is Neal etc). it was also full of essays spanning from biographical notes to weird attempts at literary apotheosis claiming Jack changed world literature. (i still think of On the Road as a nice but mild book... a best seller, something i'd put in the same shelf as the Kite Runner).

also, on the whole trip & self-discovery thing, i recommend Che's Motorcycle Diaries. it's nice because at some point you can actually sympathise with him, and then you remember how many people he got into civil war for what values, and Everything gets this close to finally making sense: you realise how little extremism it takes to change the face of the world and put at stake so many lives. plus, he wrote 342,78% better than Kerouac.

Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover

bruno wrote:
Ryan: i saw an edition of the original scroll of On the Road for sale the other day (original as in, three times as big as the original edition, and the names are still the real names so Sal is Jack (and he's québécois, rather than italian) and Dean is Neal etc). it was also full of essays spanning from biographical notes to weird attempts at literary apotheosis claiming Jack changed world literature. (i still think of On the Road as a nice but mild book... a best seller, something i'd put in the same shelf as the Kite Runner).

changed world literature? that's a bit.. much, don't you think.

I did really like the book, but it in no way 'changed world literature' lach1

it's definitely mild. Something you read for fun and only for fun, though i suppose that's why i liked it so much. Lord knows how little i can stand analyzing the hell out of books until they just aren't fun anymore.

changed world literature?! heh.

I'll check out the motercyclemagigger. Though ironically i was thinking about looking for Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which is quite the similar premise to On The Road.

Thanks for the suggesstion, anywho. My suggestion is still Slaughterhouse V.

<mod>This topic continues on to Part VI.</mod>

print