What Book Are You Reading? -- Part V

i think instead of the pkd book, i’ll try House of Leaves.
i heard it’s really weird and come people said they have to put it down or can’t sleep.

I’m reading The Necronomicon by H.P. Lovecraft, it’s great! :happy:

H.P Lovecraft is always a great read :happy:
Hve you read the dream quest to unknown kadath ?

Nope, I just finished The Call of Cthulhu :cool:

I finished both Animal Farm and the first book in the Uglies series. I’m going to Borders tomorrow, somewhat randomly, so I’ll be searching through old pages of this thread for suggestions. :wink:

I got done with Catch-22 and I’m now reading Secret Life of Bees for school. Then after that I’ll be reading Into The Wild. I’ve seen the first part of the movie too.

I just read…

Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
(can’t wait til the next one comes out!!)
by Stephanie Meyer
AND another one of her books The Host :smile:

I’ve heard of those books. All the girls in my school were driving me crazy going on about some character called ‘Edward’.

Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of Mario Puzo books the author of the bestseller Godfather.I’ve read Fools Die and The Fortunate Pilgrim, 2 non-mafia books and The Last Don a mafia book similar to the Godfather.

I have just finished reading Paulo Coelho’s book “Diary of a Magus”, and I must say I find it extremely elevating. I started reading it because I knew it was fantasy-oriented, but I ended up with something different.

I started to think the “How good it could be to walk such paths” when I understood I already do, we all do (here): We dream. The path to dreaming is very similar to the pilgrimage to Santiago - With the only difference being that you don’t need a single guide in the way.

funny, i really didn’t like that book. i disliked it with a passion, in fact!:smiley:

right now i’m (still) reading A General History of Pyrates and L’Aventure Grecque (Greek Adventure, a book on ancient greek history). the book on Nietzsche’s life & thought i was reading is awesome, i recommend it to everyone with even the slightest interest in philosophy. if you can’t be bothered checking in my last post in this topic, i’m talking about Walter Kaufmann’s Nietzsche.

I’m reading Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. My father’s colleague moved to the Netherlands a few weeks ago and left a box packed full of science fiction books outside his office door. We gladly picked them up. :grin:

Bruno… I saw that Nietzsche book at the bookstore when I picked up The Gay Science. It sounds like a good introduction to his work before actually reading it, no?

I’m reading Troy series by David Gemmell currently on Lord of The Silver Bow the second book, cant get enough of historical epic’s. :smile: Read Conn Igguldens Wolf of the Plains reccently too, brilliant book.

I’m at “the fires of heaven” In the wheel of time series now …( i know the shadow rising quite well … i started originally with it …)
addidtionally i am still reading LOTR (didn’t have much time reading in the last weeks …)
also i am planning to start Tad williams otherland series … anybody tell me if it’s good ?

I recently read The Picture of Dorian Gray and it was amazing!!! I would STRONGLY recommend it! Right now i’m reading The Two Princesses of Bamarre which is by the author of Ella Enchanted (Gail Carson Levine) and it’s brilliant! I would also recommend it since it is VERY good.

Also, in response to Sarah quite a few posts above me and to anywone who reads the Twilight series in general, omg i love Twilight!!! and Edward Cullen!!! XD k now that thats out of the way…lol

I’m reading The Kingdom Keepers. I’m an avid Disney Fan.

I was interested by Lord of the Silver Bow so I decided to Buy it so that I can read it. So I bet you can tell how furious I was when I found out it was the second book in a series! Now I have to spend all eternity looking for Wolf on the Plains!

I just finished reading Ray Bradbury’s The Martian Chronicals. Excellent. :smile: I also just finished the Uglies triology (Uglies, Pretties, and Specials). Not bad for light, fluffy reading. I’ll pick up the sequel, Extras, eventually.

At the moment I’m reading Spaceland (a parody of Abbot’s Flatland) and Darwin’s Ghost (almost like a rewrite of Darwin’s Origin of Species but with modern examples and more detail about the modes of inheritance.)

finally finished On the Road, now on Run by Ann Patchett.

fun fact, i get so see Ms. Ann Patchett in August.

Ryan: i saw an edition of the original scroll of On the Road for sale the other day (original as in, three times as big as the original edition, and the names are still the real names so Sal is Jack (and he’s québécois, rather than italian) and Dean is Neal etc). it was also full of essays spanning from biographical notes to weird attempts at literary apotheosis claiming Jack changed world literature. (i still think of On the Road as a nice but mild book… a best seller, something i’d put in the same shelf as the Kite Runner).

also, on the whole trip & self-discovery thing, i recommend Che’s Motorcycle Diaries. it’s nice because at some point you can actually sympathise with him, and then you remember how many people he got into civil war for what values, and Everything gets this close to finally making sense: you realise how little extremism it takes to change the face of the world and put at stake so many lives. plus, he wrote 342,78% better than Kerouac.

changed world literature? that’s a bit… much, don’t you think.

I did really like the book, but it in no way ‘changed world literature’ :lol:

it’s definitely mild. Something you read for fun and only for fun, though i suppose that’s why i liked it so much. Lord knows how little i can stand analyzing the hell out of books until they just aren’t fun anymore.

changed world literature?! heh.

I’ll check out the motercyclemagigger. Though ironically i was thinking about looking for Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which is quite the similar premise to On The Road.

Thanks for the suggesstion, anywho. My suggestion is still Slaughterhouse V.

[mod]This topic continues on to Part VI.[/mod]