What Book Are You Reading? - Part VI

Massive cutbacks. It is a public library after all. They rely totally on volunteers and very few employees (who have worked there, for the most part, for some 12+ years, as long as I’ve lived in this city). They aren’t even open on Fridays, a recent change due to “lack of interest,” and the high cost of leaving the lights on when no one’s there.

The western, mystery, and sci-fi sections combined don’t even fill the whole side of a shelf. :sad:

The computers haven’t been updated for about 10 years now.

There are only about 3 copies of Animal Farm in the county, and two of 1984. I know we’re a small county, but there are 5 branches!

It’s a shame. I would donate if I had money. (And the library is perfect for broke people like me.)

So for the first time in over a year, I’ve picked up a book and started reading tonight! Not just any book, it was Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. I stopped reading the series after the Goblet of Fire, but now I want to take it back up.

I forgot how much of an escape it is to read a good book.

I’m reading Memoirs of a Geisha, after seeing the movie I figured I might just as well read the book as well :tongue:

i still don’t have enough money to buy my PKD book :sad:

lots of travel guides, and On Formally Undecidable Propositions of Principia Mathematica and Related Systems by Kurt Gödel. liberal arts student reads math on his holidays.

I’m also reading Eldest by Christopher Paolini

I’m reading The Stand by Stephen King it’s supposed to be one of his best books and so far it’s very good, but i’m not sure if any book can contend with the Final Dark Tower book in my Heart :smile:. I’m also reading Small Gods by Terry Pratchett so far it’s good too. Unfortunately I got to bed so late these days tht I takes me forever to go through a book.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. The hero of the book is a unique individual and level of integrity he has in his pursuit of excellence in his field is quite motivating. What I really like about her books is she incorporates philosophy into her stories, it makes for not just an entertaining novel, but a thought provoking one as well.

If you get bored in the middle, don’t worry, it gets better towards the end :razz:

It reminds me of that scene from Amadeus.

“It was great, i loved it! Just… too many notes” :lol:

hey, she showed in Anthem that she can write a short book!

I don’t mind long books, oh no. Just when it’s quite a long book concerning architecture, which isn’t the most fascinating thing in the world to me.

Still though, i recommend it. Not sure if i choose it over Anthem but it’s up fro grabs.

edit: oh and Bruno, it’s VONNEGUT!

dur.

Alright, been a while since I posted in here. Finished a lot of books since I last posted, but I’ll stick to what I’ve finished recently.

I just finished the Narnia series (excluding The Magicians Nephew), which I thought was really good. I thought the parallels in it of Christianity and Islam were rather interesting. I looked that up on wikipedia, and of course there’s charges of “racism” about Lewis, which I thought was pretty typical of the politically correct :anx:

Just getting to work on a bunch of others. I’m continuing reading the Day of the Jackal, which is challenging but very well written. I’m trying to get into the Count of Monte Cristo, but finding it a little hard to get into. It’s bloody long as well, so that isn’t helping the motivation.

Oh… I tried to read The Fountainhead before… I enjoyed Anthem for the same reasons as you enjoy The Fountainhead, but it’s such an intimidating book. I think I got to chapter 4. :tongue: I mean to pick it up again someday, as I own it.

Ah yes, Anthem was the first of her books I read, it was definitely a great book, short but sweet. While The Fountainhead is a bit more intimidating, once you just pick it up you’ll start reading. I read about 337 pages in 2 days about 10 days ago, just picked it up again today and finished it off and thought what took me so long!

OtherlandMountain of black glass by tad williams :happy: goood . altough the previous parts have been terribly abridged so ill read them again later …

I am reading the “Remember Me” Series by Christopher Pike again. Very good reading he puts dream related stuff in most of his books (or at least that of the paranormal) I also like Whisper of Death by him (my favorite book so far by pike)

Found an amazing buy-one-get-one deal at a local bookstore while out of town. I picked up The Theory of Almost Everything: The Standard Model, the Unsung Triumph of Modern Physics by Robert Oerter. I’ve yet to see how good it is.

I also picked up Nerds: Who They Are and Why We Need More of Them by David Anderegg. I’m a few chapters in and it’s both humorous and informative.

(I think that makes 5 books I’m currently reading :tongue: )

Now that sound like a good book :lol: :yes:

“The Tao of pooh”. I love this book, I read it a few years ago, and this book was like an old friend. If you havnt read it I recomend it. It explains Taoisem using the charecters of Winni the Pooh.

I went to the library Thursday and picked up one of Stephen Gould’s books and Albert Camus’s The Plague. I already read The Stranger for school and enjoyed it; I was eager to read more of his work.

I’m reading “Beyond Nummeracy” by John Allen Paulos. It’s great, and I’m learning about all kinds of little math jewels.

Not a book really but, The Unabomber’s Manifesto.

He did wrong, but he is a genius.