Fasting ?

you must read the whole discussion if you want to know the answers : or look at any of the links given in it

fasting is not eating solid food, rather just drinking water, or using liquid foods such as fruit juices, milk, broths

from what i have read, the body does not go into starvation until 30 days of no solid food, usually people fast for 1-3 days or a week at most, but it can be quite challenging.

the body is an energy system of electricity

when you fill it with lots of things, then most of the energy is used for digestion

and,

when you have nothing to digest, the energy goes elsewhere, producing clarity and spiritual bliss,

it is a rough process and not for many, however, it is good for cleaning the body of many toxins, some people have passed tumors out of themselves, by going on a fast for a while.

a reason to fast might be, say you are obese, you eat lots of junk foods, so you start going vegan, and once you accept that, and get used to it, then from vegan you switch to fruit juice fasting for a few days, and you just are basically, cleaning your body’s junk out, in a way that you still feel comfortable, while making sure your nutrition is still prime.

my meditation teacher drank only apple juice and some sort of supplement that is basically clay for 15 days and she said it wasn’t hard at all, but i’ve yet to try

if you drink fruit juice (fresh stuff) every time you are hungry, you can have strong bliss and fresh perception, without really getting tired, but maybe this is only half a day, or one day, depending on how your body is and how long it can handle it.

after very long fasts you have to be super careful what food you eat, and only eat the tiniest bit of it, and wait 30 minutes before taking another
like, 1 tiny bite of apple, and waiting 30 minutes
since the body is used to being empty.

Fasting can be used to get closer to your spiritual side, but if your not ready for the challenge it could be dangerous for some.

Okay, thanks for the information.
I’m not overweight but the spiritual bliss part seems quite interesting, so I think I’ll try that sometime soon for a day or two. Afterwards I will than put the results here.

NB:If I haven’t posted in six months, I’m either dead or have forgotten about it. :smile:

yea don’t get hung on “spiritual bliss” though

just fast for experiments sake :smile:
This is sooooo important to read about health and nutrition!

let me know if it works for you guys.

Trying to force something will not work … whether you are praying or meditating … there you are right Eyelids

To be honest, I think fasting is a silly idea. We weren’t designed to and it will always end up doing more harm than good.

Why? You’re deprived of key nutrients, you can’t get EVERYTHING from the sun, otherwise all animals on the bl**dy planet would have evolved to be like plants, but funnily enough, we haven’t and several million years later, here we are, still eating food to survive.

Are you reffering to Eyelids sun-gazing thingy ?
I was reffering to fasting as an exercise … not a normal state of living :razz:
(btw , how did you stumble in here ? )

Yes, here we are, polluting the whole bloody planet. And eating dead animals corpses.

Anyway I haven’t gotten to trying fasting yet, and to make it clear, I will try it for no more than 2 days max. just to see what it does to my body and the thing people call spirit. :content:

what is normal in human development

is not eating by schedules, rather, eating when hungry

to eat by schedules often produces eating while already full, and the experience of “hunger” while the stomach is still full of food, digesting, due to being used to eating all day long.

a one day fast rein-troduces us to what hunger is and means.

Tryed it today, but it was too much for a beginner like me I guess. :wink:
I only managed around 20 hours this time, but am still aiming for 48 hours.
Next attempt is on the day after wednesday (forget what it’s called :tongue: ), if all goes according to plan.

oh wait … ur 15 ? than i strongly advise you to restrick the amount of time you fast … (20 hours is much for a person you age , please don’t endanger your health :wink: )

Agreed.

Nature. Its cruel. Get over it. Try watching a david attenborough. We were made to pollute the planet …obviuosly, we cant continue to blame ourselves, we were programmed to do this sooner or later, thats what i think.

And to the fasting thing - dont asian cultures do that?
i remember at my primary school they all used to fast all day, and some wouldnt even swallow their saliva … :eek:. They did it for charity though, and had massive feasts at night. I reckon if you trying to get ‘cleansed’ and in touch with your spiritual side, you should try meditating, much less harm done, and nothing can go wrong :wink:

At my school there are alot of muslim kids, and during Ramadan, they have to fast during the day, and can only eat when the sun goes down. I feel bad for some of my friends at lunch, when I’m eating in front of them, and they are just sitting there fasting. Also, I know that fasting is an important part of detox, where the body flushes out all the toxins.

It’s funny that you people find the idea of fasting so strange…

In jewish tradition, fasting is an accepted deed - there are a few days each year in which the relegious fast - most of them for mourning.

There is, however, one special fast which all relegious (as well as many non-relegious) jews fast in. During this day, the fasters are not allowed to eat or drink anything, including water. It is meant to be a sort of a punishment one brings on self in order to let their sins go away (Forgot the exact english word). Some of the fasters, however, use the date as an excuse to fast - with no direct relation to jewish tradition. It does indeed make them feel better.

Such fast, however, takes about 24 hours, and comes after a reletavly large meal.

[deleted]

Well I now really don’t feel like trying fasting again any time soon anyway, and once I do try it again, I beleve I am smart enough to stop it when I start feeling ill.
I want to know how it feels to only drink for 48 hours, just to see if it does influence my spirituality in some way or not.

I don’t think we aren’t programmed to do anything, we have free will don’t we, it’s just that we’re too lazy to start living like we did before 400 years again, nor use our ‘‘advanced technology’’ to make our ways of life better for the environment, some do try to fix it but sadly it’s not quite enough.
I think the idea of ‘‘we are programmed to destroy our environment’’ is just something you say to you’re self, so you would not feel guilty.
But that’s just what I think :wink: .

[deleted]

Fasting is also a way to realize how lucky we are that we have enough food. At my school, I participated in the 40 hour famine, where a bunch of students did not eat any solid foods for 40 hours, and by the end, I realized how many of us take for granted our easy acess to food.
Besides, Fasting for only 2 days will not cause any permanent damage to the body. While you may not see a point to fasting, other people find it relevant and important.

Ahh… I haven’t fasted in a while, but I’d highly recommend it. Like everyone else has said, it’s great for you spiritually, and it really helps you to clear your body of all of the junk that you put in it. And, if nothing else, it’s a great way to practice self-discipline; lots of priests recommend it as a way to break bad habits.

You really do have to be careful to ease into it, though. I did a pre-easter, Triduum fast (Holy Thursday night to midnight Easter morning… yes, I’m a silly Catholic) and tried surviving purely on water. It went pretty well until Saturday morning… I got up from decorating easter eggs with the family and sorta passed out XP.

Yes.

its not something to do out of self-punishment, more out of intuition, just randomly noticing “today i can go without eating and be fine” or “today I can have one meal” vs “i MUST do such and such”

on the Jewish thing and sins, fasting can clean the mind of a lot of karma,
and on meditation,
meditation is a large portion to do with energy, when the body is clean the mind opens up exceptionally stronger to the subtle energies and color, and this can be achieved just by having a good diet of course, like all raw foods and eating lightly.