Why doesn't everyone Lucid Dream?

Why doesn’t everyone try to have LD’s?
Now i haven’t personally had a LD yet, since ive only been trying for a few days. But from what i hear from others experiences they are more vivid and realistic than non lucid dreams and there fun! You sleep about 1/3 of your life anyway might as well have some fun doing it.
So why doesnt everyone try to have Ld’s?

A lot of people quite simply don’t know it’s possible. Even if you had a dream when you were younger where you realized you were dreaming (I’d say most people, like myself, have) most people don’t realize you’re literally able to take complete control of reality. As I recall, it was also thought to be impossible until a short time ago.
What’s more, most people simply don’t have the time or energy to invest in waking up in the middle of the night, recording their dreams, doing RCs, etc etc. Beyond that, most people these days aren’t concerned with things they have to put effort in to get results out of. it’s easier to watch a TV episode about a guy flying than to try for 3 months just to fly for 10 seconds yourself.
For everyone that doesn’t fall into the above categories, well, here we are. :tongue:

How long does an average lucid dream seem to last in your mind as your having it and not how long it literally is?

I think there were studies done that came to the conclusion that time in an LD is the same as time in WL.

Some people just don’t understand the concept and simply ignore it or they just never heard of such a thing. I made a topic on lucid dreaming on a different forum and I got some arguments on it, but there are a few supporters that defend it.

What I really don’t understand is when I tell people about LD’s and it goes like this:

“LD’s can be very real and you can do whatever you want! (etc, etc…)”
“So what?”
“what do you mean ‘so what?’” :eek: “You can do anything you want!!!”
“but it’s not real… it’s just a dream.”
“I know! That means there are NO physical or social consequences whatsoever! The experiences are real!”
“But… it’s just a dream…”
“ARGH!!” :cry:

And despite LaBerge’s statement that time in LD’s is like time IWL, there are dreamers who claim they have had LD’s that lasted weeks or months.

When I was back in school, I was speaking to a support worker and I when we were talking about sleep, I guess I wanted to bring up the subject. She just said that she’d rather just sleep at night instead of trying to play mind games, which I must admit, I agreed with. Lucid dreaming is just so hard for some (including myself) it just gets ridiculusly boring.

I once tried really hard to explain the benefits of LDing to someone close to me, but they simply contested me saying “it’s unnatural and shouldn’t be done.” :roll:
To me, that was the same as saying people shouldn’t enjoy having sex for fun because it’s unnatural.
That same person is also afraid of getting stuck in a lucid state without being able to wake up. I think to them, they just fear what they do not understand, as they haven’t experienced it yet for their self.
I guess the less fortunate who aren’t convinced/don’t believe won’t know what they’ve been missing until they experience it for themselves.

That’s an interesting question, but the answer is the same as the answer to the question, “Why doesn’t everyone work out”?

Most people KNOW it would be good for them and they would love the results, but they don’t have faith in themselves that they can actually accomplish that goal for a million and one excuses (and trust me, I work at Gold’s Gym, so I’ve heard almost every excuse in the book :wink:). They are afraid of failing so they never try.

With lucid dreaming even less people attempt to master it, because our society silently brainwashes the masses into believing these kinds of amazing experiences are nothing more than Hollywood story plots. No more real than unicorns. So they are even more afraid of failing, and people obviously view things that they fail as a waste of time.

If only they knew what they were missing out on.

If only. Then they wouldn’t be so blissfully ignorant about it.

Some people like myself prefer to see where the story of the dream takes them.

I love Nightmares and there’s just no fear involved for me when I know I can do what ever I want in the dream. I no longer try for LDs and when I have them I very rarely take advantage of the Lucidity.

I don’t understand how it’s unnatural. I’ve naturally Lucid Dreamt ever since…well, since I can remember!!!

I undestand, that those who don’t, or can’t, have LD’s naturally, don’t want to, because I agree, it can be an effort if you want to do certain techniques…

But I personally I believe that any effort is worth it. Unless you suffer from insomnia or something like that…

As have a lot of people. They first learn about it without any effort at all, when it just happens randomly. After that, they begin to pursue it more.

But I wasn’t fortunate enough to learn about it randomly on my own, had to read up on it and actively try to influence it before it happened.

I guess the person I was trying to convince didn’t have a good experience the one time it happened to them randomly. They told me about how they became self-aware in the dream then immediately woke up but couldn’t move! They had no clue of the effects of sleep paralysis and all that, so I can see why it’d be scary to them.

But after that, they absolutely REFUSED to learn about LDing and dismissed anything I had to say about them as BS. I even let them borrow my copy of EWLD and they let it sit unread collecting dust for a whole year before I asked for it back.

Oh well, their loss I guess.

The just probably don’t realize how fun it is, or they think its really hard, and that they’ll work really hard in trying, and they think it might not work, so they think they did all of that for nothing or something like that. Or some people think its dangerous to Lucid Dream, and have never been to this website.