Fasting ?

what is normal in human development

is not eating by schedules, rather, eating when hungry

to eat by schedules often produces eating while already full, and the experience of “hunger” while the stomach is still full of food, digesting, due to being used to eating all day long.

a one day fast rein-troduces us to what hunger is and means.

Tryed it today, but it was too much for a beginner like me I guess. :wink:
I only managed around 20 hours this time, but am still aiming for 48 hours.
Next attempt is on the day after wednesday (forget what it’s called :tongue: ), if all goes according to plan.

oh wait … ur 15 ? than i strongly advise you to restrick the amount of time you fast … (20 hours is much for a person you age , please don’t endanger your health :wink: )

Agreed.

Nature. Its cruel. Get over it. Try watching a david attenborough. We were made to pollute the planet …obviuosly, we cant continue to blame ourselves, we were programmed to do this sooner or later, thats what i think.

And to the fasting thing - dont asian cultures do that?
i remember at my primary school they all used to fast all day, and some wouldnt even swallow their saliva … :eek:. They did it for charity though, and had massive feasts at night. I reckon if you trying to get ‘cleansed’ and in touch with your spiritual side, you should try meditating, much less harm done, and nothing can go wrong :wink:

At my school there are alot of muslim kids, and during Ramadan, they have to fast during the day, and can only eat when the sun goes down. I feel bad for some of my friends at lunch, when I’m eating in front of them, and they are just sitting there fasting. Also, I know that fasting is an important part of detox, where the body flushes out all the toxins.

It’s funny that you people find the idea of fasting so strange…

In jewish tradition, fasting is an accepted deed - there are a few days each year in which the relegious fast - most of them for mourning.

There is, however, one special fast which all relegious (as well as many non-relegious) jews fast in. During this day, the fasters are not allowed to eat or drink anything, including water. It is meant to be a sort of a punishment one brings on self in order to let their sins go away (Forgot the exact english word). Some of the fasters, however, use the date as an excuse to fast - with no direct relation to jewish tradition. It does indeed make them feel better.

Such fast, however, takes about 24 hours, and comes after a reletavly large meal.

[deleted]

Well I now really don’t feel like trying fasting again any time soon anyway, and once I do try it again, I beleve I am smart enough to stop it when I start feeling ill.
I want to know how it feels to only drink for 48 hours, just to see if it does influence my spirituality in some way or not.

I don’t think we aren’t programmed to do anything, we have free will don’t we, it’s just that we’re too lazy to start living like we did before 400 years again, nor use our ‘‘advanced technology’’ to make our ways of life better for the environment, some do try to fix it but sadly it’s not quite enough.
I think the idea of ‘‘we are programmed to destroy our environment’’ is just something you say to you’re self, so you would not feel guilty.
But that’s just what I think :wink: .

[deleted]

Fasting is also a way to realize how lucky we are that we have enough food. At my school, I participated in the 40 hour famine, where a bunch of students did not eat any solid foods for 40 hours, and by the end, I realized how many of us take for granted our easy acess to food.
Besides, Fasting for only 2 days will not cause any permanent damage to the body. While you may not see a point to fasting, other people find it relevant and important.

Ahh… I haven’t fasted in a while, but I’d highly recommend it. Like everyone else has said, it’s great for you spiritually, and it really helps you to clear your body of all of the junk that you put in it. And, if nothing else, it’s a great way to practice self-discipline; lots of priests recommend it as a way to break bad habits.

You really do have to be careful to ease into it, though. I did a pre-easter, Triduum fast (Holy Thursday night to midnight Easter morning… yes, I’m a silly Catholic) and tried surviving purely on water. It went pretty well until Saturday morning… I got up from decorating easter eggs with the family and sorta passed out XP.

Yes.

its not something to do out of self-punishment, more out of intuition, just randomly noticing “today i can go without eating and be fine” or “today I can have one meal” vs “i MUST do such and such”

on the Jewish thing and sins, fasting can clean the mind of a lot of karma,
and on meditation,
meditation is a large portion to do with energy, when the body is clean the mind opens up exceptionally stronger to the subtle energies and color, and this can be achieved just by having a good diet of course, like all raw foods and eating lightly.

I have been without food (only water) only 60 hours, but some of my friends have practiced much longer fasts 10 days, 24 days and one said that he did even 41 day fast. Last was just to overcome Jesus :smile:

If anyone want to fast longer than 3-4 days then is important to read carefully how to do it, because if you do it wrongly you may harm your health. Two most important rules are: move a lot (5 - 10 km a day or something like this) and go out from the fast slowly, starting with liquids.
If possible then do your first longer fast under the care of experienced “fasters”.

Most people do recover their weight and physical strength after fast completely. So its not a good method for weight loosing.

Fast change the state of mind strongly and different un/pleasant physical and mental experiences may occur. Its a spiritual method also.

in Be Here Now it is said that fasting is not so useful because the jump in spiritual consciousness is very violent and sudden compared to a gradual steady progress.

now an average westerner may have a lot to gain form a 2-3 day fresh juice fast once a month, or things like that, especially if they wish to heal terminal illnesses.

fresh juice is juice made from a juicer with organic fruits or veggies.

Thanks for the replies so far …
@Eylids … you , me and aks seem to dominate this topic almost completly … :lol:

I have heard of fasting but never thought of trying it, but it actally seems liek a good idea, coz i eat wayyy to much, im really skinny but eat more than someone i know who weighs 18 odd stone, so its giving me very bad stomach problems, m going to read up about this on wiki and see what things can be consumed ect and give it a try, for i dunno 3-5 days and ill keep a log on this thread :smile:

Edit: ill try for 3 days with just water =/
lol this will be the death of me haha xD

Here are some important remarks.

From the physiological point of view there are great difference between juice fast and water fast (dry fast is also practiced, but do not try it for biginning!). If you drink juice then your body gets some energy from sugars and the general energy metabolism is almost normal during the fast.

Glycogen and the other sources of sugars would be consumed after 2-3 days on water fast. Then your body should turn on “the internal digestion mode”. This means that the energy is produced only by burning fats and proteins. This is usually the second hard moment during the fast (first is at the biginning then your stomach still wants do digest something). After this moment the fast becomes easier again and peolpe may feel even some kind of ecstasy. Some doctors say that the real fast starts from that point.

nah don’t do it

3 days with just water is a lot for you the way you talk about it lol!

fast until you feel pretty hungry then eat.

sometimes i eat just a meal a day sometimes i eat like half a tray of brownies

i’m allowed to do it and maintain health for whatever reason.

Try do find out some fasting rules from the net or literature. Specially how to go out otherwise you may get some stomach problems even after 3 day fast. If you are younger then 21 then may be you wait a little with that?!

yeah i had sometime earlier and i did a bitta research, and i feel ill be ok with it,
and as for the not being able to do it, as how i speak about it, i hate that i can eat that much and not be full, i wanna sort my eating out, so i guess this would be a ggood way to kinda start from scrach, if i feel sick and anything, then ill stop and eat tho.